Author Topic: 3 thought hands  (Read 2019 times)

kenberg

• View Profile
3 thought hands
« on: July 06, 2020, 10:15:26 PM »
Dare hand today, board 7.

Thought number 1: I have to start the clubs by playing a spot to the A in case all the clubs are on my right.

Thought number 2: Even if I bring in the clubs I need two diamond tricks.

Thought number 3: If  Rho holds at least 1 club  and if my Rho holds at least on of the diamond honors then all I have to do is play the hand correctly. So this is about a 75% make.

https://tinyurl.com/y8lkxre6

And thought number 4: The way to get the most benefit from these hands is to go over them carefully later and find your errors. Yes it always is frustrating to see how easy it should have been but so be it.
Ken

jcreech

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
Re: 3 thought hands
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2020, 12:08:00 PM »
And thought 5:  To do all of this, you need to lead from dummy four times with only three sure entries.  How can you retain the lead if not covered or become a fourth entry if covered?
A stairway to nowhere is better than no stairway at all.  -Kehlog Albran

kenberg

• View Profile
Re: 3 thought hands
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2020, 02:03:46 PM »
And thought 5:  To do all of this, you need to lead from dummy four times with only three sure entries.  How can you retain the lead if not covered or become a fourth entry if covered?

Yep, thinking through the entries is what is needed. That and the fact that even after the entire club suit is pulled in that still gives 2 tricks in !H, 3 in !S and 5 in !C and so we need 2 !D tricks. So: We win the !H lead in hand and lead a small !C to the A. If Rho shows out of !C we are probably doomed, if Lho shows out we need to think it through more carefully than I did.

It's another nice hand! Like so many hands, it does not need any stroke of brilliance, it needs careful thought. "Bridge is a game of mistakes" is more than just a slogan.
Ken