Author Topic: I did not make this contract  (Read 2186 times)

wackojack

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
I did not make this contract
« on: June 30, 2020, 10:38:08 AM »
 !S AQ104
 !H KQ863
 !D AJ
 !C AQ

!S 72
 !H A
 !D K9743
 !C K10853

Bidding 2NT: (8-14) minors - 3NT- Pass

Lead was 4  !H

I am interested if anyone tries my line which failed. 

jcreech

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
Re: I did not make this contract
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2020, 11:08:50 AM »
What is wrong with, win the HA, play a club to cash the AQ, then cash the HKQ, DAthen cross to the DK to cash the CK, and finally take the SA. 

At the table, I would probably take the spade finesse at trick two because it does not screw up my transportation issues, but I would hold off on doing anything with diamonds until near the end because it is my transportation to ensure the contract.  If the clubs break, that is gravy, but the key seems to be to keep the eye on making the contract.
A stairway to nowhere is better than no stairway at all.  -Kehlog Albran

blubayou

• IACAdmins
  • lifelong director [1977-2010] and haunter of ACBL
    • View Profile
Re: I did not make this contract
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2020, 02:57:09 PM »
As Jim just demonstrated there is minimum 9 off the top--- so this must have been a matchpoint puzzle,   and a really NASTY one.    Hmmm  more tomorrow....
We are in dire straits at matchpoints.   Without the gadget opening bid,  we would be DUMMY to pards notrump declaration,  and an opening lead other than a heart  (remember , the bidding would have started "pass --2C;2D--2H;"  and onward!) either gives us an outright gift,  or leaves our communication in better shape than it is now.  Also,  other tables will be in 6 Diamonds (did I mean 6Clubs?),  and  MAYBE a couple in 5 of a minor  ( ??? ) . Only  the dealing gods can save us from the slam bidders, and it probably takes ALL FOUR  chances going wrong to make 6 D(C) fail,  but we don't want to loose to those few  +620,  so cashing out our top nine is not an option.
    I am  taking the deep spade hook trick two, and ducking a heart as soon as possible after, in the hopes that neither minor splits plus the spade KING is wrong.  that would be 6 majors + 5 minors for us, and if CLUBS fall down  then +690, in which sadly  either minor slam  probably comes home.

(Tell me it WAS matchpoints, please!)        regards.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 10:01:56 AM by blubayou »
often it is better to beg forgiveness, than ask permission