Author Topic: 2S-Pass-Pass-? 2NT is?  (Read 1839 times)

kenberg

• View Profile
2S-Pass-Pass-? 2NT is?
« on: June 28, 2020, 01:07:48 PM »
I don't think I have ever discussed this. After 1 !S - Pass - Pass most people play 1NT as a balanced hand of modest strength, 11-15 being a common range. So it's different from the immediate 1NT directly over 1 !S. But how about 2 !S-Pass-Pass-2NT? It seems right to make this pretty strong. After all, you do need 8 tricks and while the 2 !S shows less strength than a 1 !S opening, the Rho's pass of 2 !S could be on pretty decent strength.

Here is the hand that prompted this thinking. I'll start with my hand (second position, 2 !S opened on my right):

!S T6
!H A43
!D T72
!C JT852

Ok, over 2 !S on my right I chose to Pass. Then a Pass on my left and a double by partner. Pass on my right. Yuk.
Not for the first time I was not really sure of our agreements. If 2NT would be a Lebensohl relay to 3 !C I could do that and then pass, but were we playing Leb here? I decided to bid 3 !C and hope for the best. Partner now bid 3NT. Ok, he has to play it, not me.

!S T6
!H A43
!D T72
!C JT852

!S AJ42
!H QT8
!D AK86
!C A6

The story has a happy ending. A !H lead would beat 3NT but W, holding !H 975, somehow failed to find such an obvious (???) lead.

I'm thinking that after 2 !S - Pass - Pass, the S hand could bid 2NT. I would pass and we would not get that nice +400, but it seems right.

Suppose we were playing Leb and suppose then that over partner's X I bid a Leb 2NT intending to pass the 3 !C. The problem is that partner is not going to be happy bidding 3 !C  because (a) he has only Ax in !C and (b) the hand probably belongs in NT. Worse, if he decides that he should override the relay and raise 2NT to 3NT I will be playing it from the N hand a the opening lead will be a !S. Not good.

So I am thinking that the range for 2NT after 2 !S - Pass - Pass should be high enough to include this hand.

The play was interesting, here are all four hands:

!S T6
                     !H A43
                     !D T72
                     !C JT852

!S KQ8753                        !S 9
!H 975                              !H KJ62
!D Q95                              !D J43
!C K                                  !C Q9743

!S AJ42
                    !H QT8
                    !D AK86
                    !C A6

The opening lead was the !S K (W does not know that declarer holds AJxx and dummy has the T), taken by the A, the !C A is led, dropping the Q, and another !C to the J with W pitching a small !S. E wins with  the Q and leads what? He no longer has a !S, a !C would go into dummy's T8, and a !H is not going to succeed either. So a !D, ducked, W wins the Q and gets out with a !D. Declarer wins and leads a !S. taken by W, so the !S J is now good. E is out of !S and  throws a !C on this trick.

Declarer will now be getting two !S tricks, one !H trick, three !D tricks and two !C tricks. Well, that's 8. If W leads a !H we are up to 9, but W gets out with his third !D. Now what?

It's an interesting squeeze position. Declarer cashes his !S J and his last !D. Nine tricks have no been played and everyone must come down to four cars . E has to save two !C else the !C T will drop the 9, promoting the 8. So he comes down to !H KJ. But now a !H to the ! and another ! puts E on lead holding only the !C 97, with !C T8 on the board.

9 tricks. Not a contract anyone wants to be in.

I think 2 !S -Pass - Pass - 2NT - all pass is a reasonable auction, but I am not complaining about the result.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 01:12:54 PM by kenberg »
Ken

Masse24

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
Re: 2S-Pass-Pass-? 2NT is?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2020, 10:00:58 PM »
I'm thinking that after 2 !S - Pass - Pass, the S hand could bid 2NT. I would pass and we would not get that nice +400, but it seems right.

So I am thinking that the range for 2NT after 2 !S - Pass - Pass should be high enough to include this hand.
Addressing only your 2NT question . . .

I assume that the range for a direct seat 2NT overcall over a weak-2 to be roughly the same as a direct seat 1NT overcall: 15-18. The same for your proposed balancing seat 2NT. So (2x) - P - (p) - 2NT is the same as (2x) - 2NT.

However, I note that both Larry Cohen and Mike Lawrence expand that range to 15-19. Both are pretty standard, vanilla theorists.

I am fine with that 15-19 range.

“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

kenberg

• View Profile
Re: 2S-Pass-Pass-? 2NT is?
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2020, 12:50:44 PM »
Yes, this all seems right. I was browsing a bit on the web and it seems that it is also reasonably but not completely what people play. After 2S- Pass -Pass, 4th hand will sometimes have a 16 count or thereabout. He can hardly double if he is not prepared for likely responses, whether or not Leb is being played. The hand I posted, with its 18 count, illustrates this. 4th hand certainly wants to bid, and equally  certainly does not want to have to cope with a 3 !C response to a double. The solution is to bid 2NT.

It's true that sometimes partner will pass 2NT and declarer will take 9 ricks. On this hand I wold have passed 2NT partner did take 9 tricks. But it is also true that if he begins with a double and then goes on to 3NT, he will sometimes, and I think more often, take only 8 tricks.

Even in NT, not everything is point count. 15-19 allows a pass with a bad 15, and perhaps a double followed by 3NT would a good 19.

On this hand the !D split 3-3, the !C K falls stiff under the A, and my !S T helped produce a second !S trick. And still a !H lead would have beaten it. So 2NT passed out is a reasonable way for it to go.
Ken