Author Topic: The Wed squeeze hand, on any lead  (Read 1950 times)

kenberg

• View Profile
The Wed squeeze hand, on any lead
« on: June 18, 2020, 12:27:56 PM »
 This is a revised  version of some quick comments I made yesterday.

On Wednesday there was an open discussion on squeezes. This hand came up. The lead was the !H K and the squeeze works, but the question was raised about what happens on other leads.

Contract is 6 !D.

Let's first look at the hand with the !H lead (a very likely lead!)
!S Q52
!H A82
!D Q864
!C KQ2

!S A
!H J74
!D AKJ975
!C A74

Opening lead, the !H K. We assume W also has the Q for this play.
We count 1+1+6+3=11  obvious tricks on top, we need a 12th.
If W holds the !H Q (highly likely) and the !S K we can make this by ducking at T1, unless (most unlikely) the defense can get an immediate ruff at T2. So we duck.

A !H continuation gives us a !H trick, so he leads something else. We take it, we draw trump, we cash the black winners, and then we run the rest of the !D.

After 10 tricks the position is
!S Q
!H A8
!D
!C

!S
!H J7
!D 5
!C

We are assuming W was dealt the !S K so, of course,  he still has it. So he now has only two !H.

We now play the last !D, aka the squeeze card.

W plays what? If he plays the !S K we can see what to do.  So he plays a !H, leaving him with only 1. He has to hope his partner has the !H J but alas for him, we have it.  We pitch the !S Q from the board, a !H to the A drops the last !H on the left, the !H J is good.

We pause to note that the duck at T1 served two purposes. It rectified the count (12 more tricks to be played and we have 12-1=11 winners) and, very important, it preserves the !H A as an entry to the board. The !S Q is to be a threat, but if there is no entry it is a toothless threat.

Ok, that takes care of the hand as presented. The question was asked whether the hand could be made on other leads. Well, Gib says yes so, in a way, that answers the question. Those bots are clever.  But how? I first worked out how on a club or diamond lead and wrote that up, but now I also see how to do it on a spade lead. And it can all be done the same way.  So: Assume that the lead is something other than a !H. No matter what it is we can cash five rounds of !D, throwing the !H 2 on the 5th !D, then the !S A, and then three rounds of !C ending on the board. So we are all down to four cards:

!S Q5
!H A8
!D
!C

!S
!H J74
!D 5
!C

The lead is on the board. Let us suppose we somehow know which four cards W has held onto. If his only !S is the K, we ruff a small !S dropping his K and go back to the board on !H and take the !S Q. But if he has kept the !S Kx, then he must have only two !H. Fine. Play !H A and then the 9 from the board and the 7 from hand. We are now left with a trump and the good !H J.

You might well ask: How can we tell which to do and the answer is we can't. But, perhaps, we guess right. Better than nothing.

Much better if we get the lead of the !H K. We duck and then we run the squeeze. No ambiguity. It might not work, it won't work if the !S K is with E, but there is no doubt about what we should try. In the more complicated case where the lead is a non- !H, we just have to do our best. At the end, even if it has worked, we have to guess in which way it worked. Life is like that sometimes.

I was going over this in my head while drinking my morning coffee and I realized that this squeeze is not positional. That is, as long as one opponent, either one,  has all three of the !H KQ and the !S K it will work. This makes it at least a little more likely that it could show up in a real situation. As the cards actually lay, probably most defenders would start with the !H K at T1 holding KQx and this was what happened. But on another day, with Rho holding !H AK and !S K, Lho might well hold !S JT9x and start with the !S J.  Now this squeeze earns its keep.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 02:46:12 PM by kenberg »
Ken

blubayou

• IACAdmins
  • lifelong director [1977-2010] and haunter of ACBL
    • View Profile
Re: The Wed squeeze hand, on any lead
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2020, 04:59:36 AM »
A month and a day after posting, I report that  the gallery stood to aplaude, Ken!   Beautifully written,  and the ideas were made as clear as humanly possible.       ( I don't get around the forums much, other than the MSC, but it seems I have overlooked a really worthwhile area)
often it is better to beg forgiveness, than ask permission

kenberg

• View Profile
Re: The Wed squeeze hand, on any lead
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2020, 10:26:22 AM »
Thanks.

The question of making it on any lead was raised during the discussion of the hand and, just for the fun of it, I decided to give it a whirl.  I am not really claiming that, on a !S lead and with the EW hands switched, the suggested line would be found.  Maybe by Jeff Meckstroth or Eric Rodwell. Or maybe if we completely suspend all time limitations on playing the hand.

Still, it's an interesting exercise and I am glad you liked the description.
Ken