Author Topic: 2020 August - MASTER SOLVERS CLUB  (Read 10255 times)

hoki

• View Profile
Re: 2020 August - MASTER SOLVERS CLUB
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2020, 09:22:04 AM »
PROBLEM A: Pass
PROBLEM B: 2 Hearts
PROBLEM C: 2 Notrump
PROBLEM D: Double
PROBLEM E: 1 Spade
PROBLEM F: 1 Notrump
PROBLEM G: 3 Clubs
PROBLEM H: Heart King

wackojack

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2020, 05:12:17 PM »
A 3♠
I initially thought I should pass.  On further reflection partner cannot have anything much weaker than something like ♠AJ109xx, ♥Ax, ♦ xxx, ♣Kx. Here you would expect to make 9 tricks.  If we give opps 5HCP opposite 12 then partner could have 15 say ♠ AKJ109x, ♥Ax, ♦xxx, ♣Ax and we likely make 10 tricks.  It is a tall order but could partner have these “right” cards.  So, I need to raise to 3♠ to find out. 

B 2♥
I cannot bring myself to make the gross underbid of 2♦ (or 2♣).  The problem is can I pass 2♠ or 3m for that matter?  I would say, yes I can, even if it breaks a BWS rule.  At least I have made a token effort that a very passable bid of 2♦ does not do.

C 1♦
Easy

D 3NT
Give partner an average hand with 12HCP.  ♠ KQJxx, ♥ Kxx, ♦x, ♣Axxx and give East ♠x, ♥ xx, ♦AKJxxxx, ♣ Jxx .  I back 3N rather than 4♠ with these hands. 

E 1♠
Partner likely does not have a 4 card major and so either is weak with a ♦ suit or balanced weak. I do not like jumping to 3♣ with this suit.  OTOH a game forcing jump shift to 2♠ is out because I do not have a game forcing hand opposite a minimum response.  A 3♥ splinter surely also must be a game force.  That leaves 1♠.  If partner does have 4 spades and raises to 2♠, then I know partner has a good hand with at least 5♦ and 4♠ and we could be investigating a slam in ♦s. 

F 1♠
I Like Dickhy I am also also a fan of 2-way xyz.  However, I do not think this is the hand for it.  I will go for the 1♠ lie, as it is a safe lie.  OK if partner has 4405 distribution, we may not be able to get out of a ♠ contract but that is most unlikely.

G 2♠
Which bid is the least of evils? 
3♣? Then we never find our 4-4 ♠ fit.
Double?  Then what do we bid when partner bids 2 or 3♥?
2♠ Yes, the least of evils to go for. It will probably score badly though.

H K♥
Why not?   

Judging from other iac ers choice,  my choice is likely to be low scoring.  Then so be it.   

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2020, 01:20:45 AM »
Still struggling with PROBLEM E:

!S AJ3 -  !H Q -  !D AKJ - !C QJ8543

1 !C - (p) - 1 !D - (p)
??

Five different picks so far. Blu called it the Bridge World Nightmare Hand. Close enough. I think it may get written up as a variation on the Bridge World Death Hand. Blu is right in that they keep trotting out some variation of this hand every several months. The key elements are six cards in our own suit and a three-card fit with partner. Usually it's a major response from partner and some sort of fake bid in a minor is required. Here, partner bid diamonds. Had partner responded 1 !S I would have no problem reversing into a three-card !D suit, hoping to be able to show delayed support later. Anyway, I digress.

One choice, not yet mentioned is a not totally crazy 3 !D. That AKJ looks an awful lot like four cards. If partner bids 3 !H next, I bid 3NT.

Just a bit surprised no one has mentioned it as a possibility.

This is a tough one.
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2020, 09:53:32 AM »
Still struggling with PROBLEM E:

One choice, not yet mentioned is a not totally crazy 3 !D. That AKJ looks an awful lot like four cards. If partner bids 3 !H next, I bid 3NT.

Just a bit surprised no one has mentioned it as a possibility.

My initial thoughts:

E:  ?  I am still struggling with this one.  I detest manufactured reverses, and it would be especially dangerous reversing into spades.  I dislike making a jump raise of partner’s suit with only three.  I detest splintering into a suit that contains an honor and only have three of partner’s suit. I dislike rebidding my six bagger headed by only QJ8.  And I am absolutely not inclined to bid NT with  singleton in an unbid suit.  Double and redouble are inadmissible.  So I am left with Pass, but that is not an option either.  Guess I huddle.

Just saying, its been mentioned, but not as a contender!  Though dislike is better that detest - lol.
A stairway to nowhere is better than no stairway at all.  -Kehlog Albran

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2020, 01:26:11 PM »
Aha, I stand corrected.

Still, no one has, as yet, chosen it. I don't see it as being that nuts.

But I'm going to choose it either, so maybe I should sit down and keep my mouth shut!  :o
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

msphola

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2020, 04:09:55 PM »
Aug 2020
A. pass
B. 2S
C. 2C
D. 3S
E. 3D
F. 1N
G. x
H. 9D

ccr3

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2020, 04:56:35 PM »
Your Solutions for the August 2020 Contest 
-------------------
PROBLEM C: 2 Clubs
PROBLEM D: 3 Notrump
PROBLEM E: 3 Clubs
PROBLEM F: 1 Spade

Thank you for participating in the Master Solvers Club.

DickHy

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2020, 10:18:29 PM »
On Hand F: under the 2-way XYZ scheme I know, this hand is eminently suitable:  after 2 !C – 2 !D (forced) – 2 !H shows balanced GI hand with 3c  !H suit, and no stop in the fourth suit ( !S). 

SOLUTIONS FOR:
Dick Harvey
Southampton
U.K.

PROBLEM A: 3 Spades
PROBLEM D: Pass
PROBLEM F: 2 Clubs
PROBLEM G: Double

drac

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2020, 07:18:10 AM »
SOLUTIONS FOR:
Wladislaus Dragwlya
Castrum Sex
Romania

PROBLEM E: 2 Clubs
PROBLEM F: 2 Notrump
PROBLEM H: Spade 10

P0STM0RTEM

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2020, 08:55:39 AM »
a)   3 !D:  I come from the school of thought that if you're going to want to bail out partner from their suit better preempt in advance such that when you don't, a new suit should be fitted.  The only way partner thus can find game without holding their breath is to bid 3D showing values in !D with !S support.  Even AJ9xxx xx Axxx x will make on a 3-3 !D Split.  Add the !DJ and it's a perfecto.  If 3D means something else I'd love to hear what.

b)   2 !H:  Offering 2 places to play with 9+HC.  Maybe partner will even cue back and we have 3N.

c)   1 !D: Subtracting 1 for the 4333 shape and not wishing to lie about !C length.  Ideally we can raise partner's NT to game.

d)   Pass:  I'll bid to 3N if partner can't strive to make the reopening X.

e)   3 !C:  I like partner's suit, maybe the feeling is mutual?  In any case I need that for game in 3N or 5C (even 5D?) and the response to this bid should clarify whether this is the case or not.  Admittedly it doesn't feel great, but sometimes partner has a clunker.

f)   1 !S:  Not wanting to gf or wrong-side the NT contract.  I can then raise 1N to 2 or rebid 3C next.

g)   X:  Though I don't know Equal Level Corrections really apply here and doubt it's BWS even if so.  3C appears too give up on Spades too early and 2S over commits.  In competition Partner should be bidding Spades before Hearts when 4-4.  Maybe I'll bid 2N over 2H and try to run from the X to 3C?
Qxxx Kxxx xxx QJ would be amazing

h)   !H K:  Can't fathom a setting layout without us taking a Heart and a Diamond apart from the Spade Kx which I deem less likely.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 09:00:02 AM by P0STM0RTEM »

MarilynLi

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2020, 10:20:37 AM »
PROBLEM B: 2 Spades.   I'd like to settle in Spade with 4-3 fit, and if we have game, Spade game is the most feasible.
PROBLEM C: 2 Clubs.   I don't want to wrong side the NT.
PROBLEM D: Pass.   Hopefully, partner will make a reopening double, and I'd pass.
PROBLEM E: 2 Notrump.   Tough one. I can see other options.
PROBLEM F: 3 Clubs.  To me, opener has a unbalanced hand, probably 5 card clubs.
PROBLEM G: Double

wackojack

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2020, 10:36:03 AM »
SOLUTIONS FOR:
Jack Goody
Guildford
England

PROBLEM C: 1 Diamond
PROBLEM E: 1 Spade
PROBLEM F: 1 Spade
PROBLEM G: 2 Spades

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2020, 11:47:07 AM »

Your Solutions for the August 2020 Contest
-------------------
PROBLEM B: 3 Diamonds
PROBLEM C: 1 Diamond
PROBLEM D: 4 Spades
PROBLEM F: 2 Clubs
PROBLEM G: Pass
PROBLEM H: Club Jack

I suspect I am the only nut who passes on board G but here is my thinking: We are probably beating 3D and if we aren't then partner is so weak that I do not want to be playing something like 3 !C. So I need to bid only if I think game is plausible. Do I? Well, game is possible but not all that likely. And how to get there? I have only two hearts and Rho has a 2 !D opening. Ok, it's a third hand opening so we cannot make all that much of what it shows, but most often he will not have four !H. So partner should have four, often five. I think I will wait to see what he does. If he has four !S to go with his !H he might well double.

I realize that this is all iffy, but so is bidding 3 !C. That could easily turn a plus into a minus. And bidding 2 !S is also pretty adventuresome. As is doubling. The main problem I see with passing is that in real life it would probably take me so long to come to that conclusion that partner would not be allowed to then come into the auction.
Ken

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2020, 04:02:03 PM »
Scores are out . . .

Masse24 led the way, with DracuLea and DickHy tied for second; Masse24 was the only one on in The Bridge World Honor Roll this month (which required a 690 this month), so congrats!!  But there were several nipping at the heels of our second/third place finishers. There were actually 9 people who finished with scores above 600! That's some high scoring!

Way to go to Masse24

REVISED!
Due to a typo when calculating the scores, one answer was not calculated properly. It has now been fixed and DracuLea and DickHy were bumped up to a tie for 2nd/3rd with a 670.

NAMEBW-SCORERANKMPs
Masse24     700   1   30
DracuLea     670   2   15
DickHy     670   3   15
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Also participating and receiving 1 Monster Point are (alphabetically): BabsG, Blubayou, CCR3, Hoki, Jcreech, KenBerg, MarilynLi, Msphola, P0stm0rtem, Thornbury, VeeRee, WackoJack, and Yleexotee. A solid month, with some high scores all around!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 09:53:11 PM by Masse24 »
A stairway to nowhere is better than no stairway at all.  -Kehlog Albran

hoki

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2020, 11:00:54 AM »
A - pass. The bidders must be assuming that partner holds 18+ points because with any less I can't see us wanting to be in game. And if the opposition can be trusted just a little (11 points with East, 5 with West) partner can't have more than 17.

B - 2.

C - 2NT, probably not the bid I'd make at the table but experts frequently bid notrumps with an unstopped suit, so why not with two unstopped suits?

D - dble. The passers assume opener will reopen but why should that be the case if partner has just a normal minimum hand?

E - 1♠, again probably not the bid I'd make at the table but sometimes these panellists can get quite adventuresome.

F - 1NT, as with problem C this is about describing the general hand shape rather than guessing the right suit contract to play in.

G - 3♣. I don't buy into the argument that we are changing a potential plus score into a minus one, would seem to me to be a clairvoyant's view. If a partner who passed initially is unable to balance then bidding 3♣ now could do the reverse, change a minus score into a plus one.

H - K.