Author Topic: An amusing hand  (Read 1603 times)

kenberg

• View Profile
An amusing hand
« on: June 06, 2020, 01:54:38 PM »
Matchpoints, everyone white, dealer on your right passes, you hold:

!S AJ7653
!H QJ
!D Q
!C 9652

I have never been a fan of "The hand is too strong for 2 !S and too weak for 1 !S so I pass". I will open 1 !S or 2 !S.
I chose 2 !S. That stiff Q doesn't seem to be worth much and I am not so fond of QJ tight either.
Anyway, I chose 2 !S
Lho comes in with 3 !D, partner raises me to 3 !S, Rho bid 4 !D and now? I pass and so does everyone else.
This all seems reasonable enough.
We could have set it 3, but our defense allowed declarer the possibility of down 2 but it ended up down 3. So great, +150 beats +140  if by any chance 3 !S makes.

So I  thought. Now for all hands. Declarer is placed S, my hand is E.

!S K2
                       !H T863
                       !D AJ9
                       !C T873

!S 984                                  !S AJ7653
!H A754                                !H QJ
!D 832                                  !D Q
!C AQ4                                 !C 9652

!S QT
                     !H K92
                     !D KT7654
                     !C KJ

Partner led a spade, of course. Declarer went up with the K, I tool the A. Who has the Q? Unfortunately, we were playing that we lead second highest from spots so the lead was the !S 8. Partner would lead thus the 8 from 984, which he had, and from Q98, which he didn't have. So I continued a spade. Declarer now has six !D tricks and a !S and can but didn't develop a trick from the !C - !H layout.

What I needed to do to guarantee a 3 trick set was to shift to a !H at T2. The plan would be to take two !H and two !C, ending in parnter's hand, and then a third !D allows me to sore my !D Q.

But no matter, since 4 !S is on ice. The !S are 2-2, the !H finesse works, the !c finesse works, and thanks to the trump split I can ruff a !C in dummy if needed.

Feel free to draw any conclusion you wish. I think I still open 2 !S the next time I get this hand. If I open 1 !S we would not get to 4 !S, that would be too optimistic, but partner would hit 4 !D.

As to leads, I think that once partner raises spades he should be allowed to lead the 9 rather than the 8. That would have clearly been the top of nothing. Maybe 8 from 984 is right in an unbid suit, I can see arguments for and against, but once he supports, I think the 9 is better, reserving the 8 for a lead from Q98.

Ken

wackojack

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
Re: An amusing hand
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2020, 02:27:30 PM »
If partner raises it is highly unlikely to be done with a doubleton  especially a spot card doubleton.  When you support partner's suit that you have supported with 3 you should lead the top card.  Thus the 8 lead is incorrect whether or not your default from 3 small is 2nd highest. Nevertheless, I would believe that partner was leading from 842 and would switch.   

A personal view on weak 2M.  The object of a pre-empt is to use up opponents bidding room when the hand is more likely to be theirs than ours.  Thus 2M should be 5-9.  However, in this case I think Ken's reservations apply and a 2 !S open is acceptable.