Author Topic: A common auction  (Read 2060 times)

kenberg

• View Profile
A common auction
« on: June 01, 2020, 01:45:33 PM »
A friend (Jonathan by name) has very recently started playing bridge. I have been playing some with him and he welcomes suggestions. Yesterday an uncontested  auction began 1 !S - 2 !D - 3 !D.  I plan to say a few words to Jonathan  about "What happens next" but I thought I would also see what others think.

For simplicity, let's assume that the 2 !D was natural and game forcing. Jonathan expressed an interest in exploring the 2/1 GF idea so that's what we were doing.

So: 3NT or 5 !D, and how do we decide? Of course slam could be in the picture, but let's keep it to the choice of 3NT or 5 !D. And assume imps, so we want to get to the game most likely to succeed, forgetting about the matchpoint value of a possible overtrick (or multiple undertricks). I will supply four possible hands to illustrate the problem:

Hand A
!S AQ
!H A6
!D QJ9732
!C 976

Hand B
!S AQ
!H 976
!D QJ9732
!C  A6

Hand C
!S AQ
!H 96
!D QJ9732
!C A76

Hand D
!S AQ
!H A76
!D QJ9732
!C 96

you can see what I am getting at. One suit has a stopper, the other doesn't. In A and B there are three cards in the unstopped suit, in C and D the unstopped suit is a doubleton, upping the chances that the opponents have five cards in that suit, especially since partner has five spades and at least some length in diamonds.

My usual way of playing is that, over 3 !D, a 3 !H call shows a !H value and strongly suggests the lack of a !C stop (else I would have bid 3NT myself unless I am making a slam try).  So with A and D I could bid 3 !H and see what pard does, with B and C I could, if I wish, take a shot at 3NT and hope that they cannot run five heart tricks.

I suppose that playing in 4 !S has a shot at being right but, as the cards lay, it would not have been and let's forget that.

Bottom line: I am thinking of telling Jonathan that 3 !H would show a !H stop and imply doubt about !C, but I realize some might play it the other way around, as implying a !C stop and asking  for a !H stop.

Comments?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 01:48:51 PM by kenberg »
Ken

Masse24

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
Re: A common auction
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2020, 03:12:40 PM »
I agree with your methods, especially for a new player.

Although you mention early in the auction that 3NT or 5 !D are where you will rest, I think the following important enough to mention: Responder's first order of business on his second bid is to show delayed (3 card) support for partner's major. So spades is a possible strain. At least, that's how I play it: 1 !S - 2 !D - 3 !D - 3 !S --- spades is trump.

I think doing exactly what you've done here--creating possible hands to drive home the point--is a good way to illustrate your thinking through the entire "where will we stop" thought process.
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2020, 10:37:03 AM »
The situation is a common one, and readers (I optimistically assume that this includes others than Todd) might want to think about or comment on how they would proceed holding each of the hands A,B,C,D. There really is no completely satisfactory agreement for handling all four hands.

It was I, not Jonathan, who held hand B. 3NT and 5 !D both make,  although 3NT is a lot easier.
Ken

blubayou

• IACAdmins
  • lifelong director [1977-2010] and haunter of ACBL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2020, 01:41:59 PM »
Count on me to visit all your good old threads, Ken:)   I also use the 'telling' way to probe for NT (Why why reverse this when there are two equally untouched 'worry-suits' anyway??)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 01:44:45 PM by blubayou »
often it is better to beg forgiveness, than ask permission