Author Topic: 2020 July - MASTER SOLVERS CLUB  (Read 13418 times)

DickHy

• View Profile
Re: 2020 July - MASTER SOLVERS CLUB
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2020, 10:40:38 PM »
A.  Pass.  Bids given in quizzes cannot be non-sensical, otherwise we descend to farce.  Having said that, West’s 1S overcall looks to be on a steep slope.  Partner’s 3N looks pragmatic; 12-14 HCP, no heart support, stops in both minors (but not 44), and a working stop in S.  Smells to me like JTxx x AKx AJxxx or JTxx x KQxxx AQx.  That leaves W’s 1S o/call as K98xx – not to my taste but then W is white opposite red (if he held JTxxxx why not make a 2S overcall?).  Anyway, back to p’s postulated hands.

If p’s longer minor suit was stronger (AQJxx in C or AKJxx in D) he would have bid 3m.  (He would also bid 3m if he held Kx in S and a good minor suit, because a minor suit slam must now be on). 

If p had xx in H, and especially Qx, I would expect him to have bid 3m, no matter how good his longer minor was, to give me a chance to show a 6-card heart suit.

Flying in the face of much expert comment (not a new attitude), I am going to pass.  I will probably suffer, but I can’t believe W would overcall with J high nor that p with a good minor will ignore it and bid 3N.  Sure, some advance might be possible but with either of p’s postulated hands we have two losers.

B and C are related.  Here’s BWS After our minor-suit opening and a takeout double:

(a) a one-level new-suit response is forcing (by an unpassed hand);
(b) one diamond — (double) — two clubs is not forcing;
(c) two notrump shows a game-invitational or stronger raise of opener's suit (direct jump-raises are preemptive);
(d) a direct single raise is natural, similar to a single major-suit raise;
(e) a jump-shift is preemptive;
(f) a double jump-shift is a splinter raise;
(g) a redouble shows any hand with 10-plus HCP that is not suitable for a raise or a new-suit bid.     

B.  2C.  Looks an obvious choice from this scheme.  Perhaps with 10 9 and two other 10s, the hand can be upgraded to xx (Kaplan & Rubens rate as 9.65), but why hide a strong club suit?

C.  1S.  As a passed hand, the natural 1S looks obvious.  If I don’t show my 4c spade suit now, p will never believe I have one, even if later in the auction I dance on the table and wave the cards in his face.  2S would be pre-emptive and the suit’s too short for that. Where’s the catch?

D.  (a) 2D.

E.  Pass.   We’re not vulnerable.  East has passed – what does that show?  I guess p is limited to 15 HCP (otherwise x and then H bid or 1N).  If E is 3/4 HCP that would leave opener with about 17.  But does E pass in this situation with more?  They may well have a C fit and if 2C comes round to me (either from re-bid from W or x and then 2C) I can bid 2D, but for now pass.  After all, they could land in 2S after W re-opens with a x – and I’m dancing on the table again.

F.  Pass.  Oh, I soooooo want to bid 4C without even looking at the BWS system, just to placate the Great Dealer for giving me 55 in the majors.  But I can’t really bid 4C and I can’t really double.  If I was put on the rack and tortured to make one of those bids, I’d be screaming “4C” before the crank started turning.  If partner has enough points for us to be in game, wouldn’t he have made a move?  Passing feels wrong, but head over heart, I suppose. 

G.   3D looks reasonable.  Briefly, I wondered what x would mean in BWS, but partner would not open a weak 2M with 4 cards in the other major (even if BWS standards in 1st and 2nd seat look a bit lax). 

H.  AS.  I’m tempted to bang down the spade Ace to have a look at dummy, because 4H covers a huge range of hands.  I’d be especially keen if partner played suit preference on this, as some folk do.  In BWS he’ll do that only if dummy has a stiff S, and that looks impossible.  I’d rather avoid a minor suit lead, especially clubs.  AS can cost, but I’ll get two chances (probably) to signal when trumps are drawn.

SOLUTIONS FOR:
Dick Harvey
Southampton
U.K.

PROBLEM A: Pass
PROBLEM B: 2 Clubs
PROBLEM C: 1 Spade
PROBLEM D: (a)
PROBLEM E: Pass
PROBLEM F: Pass
PROBLEM G: 3 Diamonds
PROBLEM H: Spade Ace

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2020, 11:36:33 PM »
JULY Guesses:

PROBLEM A: Pass.

What does partner have?
o   He doesn’t have heart support, otherwise he supports.
o   With a minor, over the1 !S overcall, he bids it. Both 2 !C and 2 !D are forcing.
o   With both minors he doubles.
o   With !S Kx and no heart support, by the process of elimination he would have one or both minors. So partner’s spade stop is a long one. At least Jxx but almost surely Jxxx. (Yes, it’s remotely possible partner has the !S King and overcaller has Jack-fifth.)

These “dog that didn’t bark” clues lead me to believe partner has something like:
!S Jxxx — !H Tx — !D AKQx — !C QJx

Even giving partner more, say:
!S Jxxx — !H Tx — !D AKJx — !C AQJ
Leaves me wondering where 12 tricks will come from. I have no source of tricks.

PROBLEM B: 2 !C.

Not forcing! Very close decision for me. 1NT also works. Yes, it’s a mild upgrade with the nice spots—but it’s still not 10—and a redouble only gets us in trouble further into the auction. 2 !C is a bid-where-I-live choice.

PROBLEM C: 1 !S.

WTP? 1NT is my second choice.

PROBLEM D: 2 !D.

What does starting with 1NT do for you? If you intend to BART this hand by responding 1NT and rebidding 2 !D (remember, it’s forcing), then what? If partner has a 2 !C bid (as he does here!), you simply can't show your hand.

If instead, you begin with 2 !D (yes, it’s an overbid), since you are a passed hand, you may very well play there or maybe partner may rebid 2 !H.
This problem is the poster child example for not playing BART!

PROBLEM E: Pass.

No confidence in this. Less confidence in 2 !D and 1 !S.

PROBLEM F: 3 !H.

Another bid-where-I-live choice. Although I have two five-card majors, the spade suit is too sparse to mention with some misguided intention of later showing the hearts. A double, which would be my second choice, might land us in an unmakeable 5 !D. And the cuebid of 4 !C, presumably forcing partner to choose a major at the 4-level, is too rich.

PROBLEM G: 3 !D.

Matchpoint decisions are tough. A double could easily be right. Pass, too.
This is forcing, so I may be turning a small minus into a larger one.

PROBLEM H: !C 8.

Correct from this holding.
The !D Ace was my second choice (and !S A third), but doing so could be setting up dummy’s KQ. 

SOLUTIONS FOR:
Todd Holes
Glen Ellyn IL
U.S.A.

PROBLEM F: 3 Hearts
PROBLEM H: Club 8
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 11:54:06 PM by Masse24 »
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2020, 01:50:07 AM »
Submitted for Redbird44

PROBLEM B: Redouble
PROBLEM C: 1 Notrump
PROBLEM D: (b3)
PROBLEM E: 1 Spade
PROBLEM F: 4 Clubs
PROBLEM G: Double
PROBLEM H: Club T
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

yleexotee

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2020, 02:10:49 AM »
A - Pass   Borderline points for 6nt, I'm going to leave it.
B - 2c    normal with 10 points, here not much diff
C - 1s   seems normal
D - (a) 2D   BART thing is weird, would rather 1nt then 2d but can't, note makes it seem like 1nt then 3D is too strong.
E - 1s   op that passed has bupkis or a stack of hearts, I'm looking for something else to land in, maybe my diamonds will be nice in 1nt.
F - Pass - this "feels" wrong to pass in this contest, but I'm hoping thats what I would really do.
G - 3D - can tolerate a rebid by p
H - 8 club - I wrote down 8 as 3/5 lead, so I have to stick with it.

MarilynLi

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2020, 11:07:14 AM »
PROBLEM A: Pass.  I can hardly imagine a hand partner holds that can make slam. We seem to have a misfit and no trick source for slam.
PROBLEM B: 2 Clubs. 
PROBLEM C: 1 Notrump.  Always bid what the hand looks like.
PROBLEM D: (a).  I guess with the agreement of Bart, 2D here should be contructive.
PROBLEM E: Pass.  Where are the missing points? I have only 5, East passed and partner didn't make a double. I hope I can get a chance to make a bid on the next round.
PROBLEM F: 3 Spades. Tough one. With this shape, I'd like to take a bet on bidding but I don't like to double. It's dangerous to double opps with a void in their suit as partner might pass the double and I'm not strong in defensive value. If partner bid over my 3S, I'd bid 4H next.
PROBLEM G: Pass.  I'm happy to take a positive score in defense when our partial game in D or S is in doubt to make.
PROBLEM H: Club 8.

blubayou

• IACAdmins
  • lifelong director [1977-2010] and haunter of ACBL
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2020, 12:41:30 PM »
SOLUTIONS FOR:Jock McQuade
Portlandia ORU.S.A.
PROBLEM A: 4 Notrump  -- which partner will surely have to pass  so no harm done
PROBLEM B: 1 Notrump  --BTW  there is no support for a free 1NT showing a MINIMUM of 10  but thanks for not ruling it  out on account of 'wrong-siding
PROBLEM E: Pass        --   Staying with my original thought that this is a serious death-trap,   after much dithering
PROBLEM F: Pass        --   If JOE can bring hisself to pass,  then count me in, too
PROBLEM G: Double   --  Todd was correct  3 Diams is forcing even over comp-- yukk , so that is OUT out.
PROBLEM H: Club 8   --   And Jim thanks for reminding me  : BWS uses 3rd & low  vs. suits,  so I will "cherish my deuce"
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 05:42:07 PM by blubayou »
often it is better to beg forgiveness, than ask permission

msphola

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2020, 04:58:45 PM »
A, 6N
B. 2C
C. 1S
D. B3
E. 1S
F. x
G. 3D
H. 2C

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2020, 05:28:39 PM »
SOLUTIONS FOR:
James Creech
FREDERICKSBURG VA
U.S.A.

PROBLEM A: 4 Clubs  My hardest decision - don't know what it means, but clearly a slam try
PROBLEM C: 1 Spade  I still like 1NT, but dbl may be based on 3-4 in majors
PROBLEM D: (b2)
PROBLEM F: Double
PROBLEM H: Club 8  Bending to 3/5 leads against suits

Changes from my initial thoughts are noted
A stairway to nowhere is better than no stairway at all.  -Kehlog Albran

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2020, 05:31:29 PM »
Submitted for Aloha9

PROBLEM A: 4 Spades
PROBLEM D: B2
PROBLEM H: Club 2

wackojack

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2020, 06:46:56 PM »
Will submit tomorrow morning before the deadline.

6NT for reasons given earlier.  OR maybe 4 !C as Jim says"don't know what it means but clearly a slam try"

2 !C

Prefer 2♣ to INT because over 1NT opps might well compete 2M.  If partner has a weak no trump we have to defend.  Whereas if I bid 2♣ and partner has 4 card ♣ support we can compete.

!S
Partner might well have only 3♠, in which case I do not want to be playing in 2 !S

D b2
1NT then after 2  !C!D.  This describes my hand perfectly

E Pass
Stay out of trouble

F 3 !H
3♥ good suit so just about worth the balancing overcall

G 3 !D

H !C
Would have been 2  !C until I learned that BWS plays 3rd against suit contracts

ccr3

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2020, 11:06:27 PM »

our Solutions for the July 2020 Contest 
-------------------
PROBLEM A: 4 Notrump
PROBLEM F: 4 Clubs
PROBLEM H: Club 2

drac

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2020, 07:09:48 AM »
PROBLEM A: 4 Notrump
PROBLEM G: Pass
PROBLEM H: Spade 2

wackojack

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2020, 10:08:04 AM »
Problem D

In "Advanced Bidding for the 21st Century" by Max Hardy Mike Passel says about BART a "must play convention for all intermediates and up"   My comment "Sic!"

To use Bart 2 !D after 1  !S -1N- 2 !C you must have one of these hand types:
1. 5 !H +2  !S
2. Hx !S 9-11HCP
3. Game invite with a good   !D suit
4. A good  !C raise
5. A raise to 2NT with 4  !C

The sad thing about our hand is that none of these 5 conditions apply and we are not allowed to play in 2  !D

So what is the nearest thing we can do remembering that we are a passed hand:
1.  1 !S -2  !D?  BWS says nothing about this. 
2. 1 !S - 1NT -2 !C - 3 !D.  That is described in the book as a pre-emptive raise to 3 !D.  "My comment:  A mis-use of the word pre-empt" BWS says "After one heart — one notrump — two clubs — ?, three diamonds shows long diamonds in a hand improved by the two-club bid; OTOH The MSC Note says *BWS: Bart applies. By agreement, 3 ♦ directly weak
3. 1 !S - 1NT -2 !C -2 !D - then (i) pass 2  !H playing in a 4-3 fit  (ii) If opener bids 2 !S showing min values you bid 3 !D invite. *BWS: Bart applies. By agreement, 3 ♦  after Bart is stronger.

Under these terrible constraints what should we the mere mortals vote for? We have 8HCP and a poor 6 card  !D suit.  It looks like a likely misfit where we need 26+ to make 3N, in which case partner probably needs 18HCP to make game.  So we need to get out as cheaply as possible. 

A possibility:
1.  After Bard 2  !D partner is obliged to bid 2  !H with a 3 card suit which we pass playing in a 4-3.   Sadly again, noting that everything is against us we note that if partner does not have 3 hearts and rebids say 2  !S, then we rescue to 3 !D which may encourage partner to bid 3NT with say a 5224 14 count because after BART 3 !D is stronger. 
Verdict:

Under these stupid restraints the only bid we can sensibly make is a direct bid of 3 !D.   

wackojack

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2020, 10:21:56 AM »
SOLUTIONS FOR:
Jack Goody
Guildford
England

PROBLEM A: 4 Clubs
PROBLEM F: 3 Hearts
PROBLEM H: Club 8

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2020, 11:30:01 AM »
Problem D

A possibility:
1.  After Bard 2  !D partner is obliged to bid 2  !H with a 3 card suit which we pass playing in a 4-3.   Sadly again, noting that everything is against us we note that if partner does not have 3 hearts and rebids say 2  !S, then we rescue to 3 !D which may encourage partner to bid 3NT with say a 5224 14 count because after BART 3 !D is stronger. 

This--going through Bart anyway, even though 2 !D is forcing, was a choice I strongly considered for the exact reason you mention, Jack. If partner has three !H, he is obliged to rebid 2 !H and we can safely play there knowing that a 4-3 fit should play fine at the 2-level.

But I chose the overbid of an immediate 2 !D instead.