Author Topic: 2020 July - MASTER SOLVERS CLUB  (Read 13417 times)

Masse24

• View Profile
2020 July - MASTER SOLVERS CLUB
« on: May 15, 2020, 07:18:48 PM »
JULY 2020 MSC

Deadline: June 10 at 9:00 a.m. (ET)

Submit your June MSC responses here: The Bridge World - MASTER SOLVERS CLUB

BWS 2017 System: BWS 2017
BWS 2017 POLLS, CHANGES AND ADDITIONS: BWS 2017 - Polls, Changes, and Additions
  • Bridge World Standard 2017 (BWS or BWS2017) is effective beginning with the January 2017 Master Solvers' Club problems. This page shows (1) the results of the panelist polls that were used to adjust the system; and (2) the changes in and the additions to Bridge World Standard 2001 (BWS2001) that were made.
    In the listings of the questions and answers, an asterisk indicates the BWS2001 agreement; the proportion of the expert votes for each item, rounded to the nearest percent, is shown in brackets.

IAC Forum MSC Scores

“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

DickHy

• View Profile
Re: 2020 July - MASTER SOLVERS CLUB
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2020, 09:34:48 PM »
I'll offer a some thoughts on Bart and Problem D.  Here’s BWS:

Passed-Hand Situations: These methods apply to responding to a major-suit opening by a passed hand:
(a) one notrump is semi-forcing (6-12 points);
(b) two clubs is a strong raise (a hand too strong for a single raise, but unsuited to a higher bid);
(c) three clubs is natural, similar to two diamonds but with long clubs;
(d) a jump-shift other than three clubs is a strong raise with length in the suit bid;
(e) a double jump-shift is a splinter raise.

If N has 4 hearts, there’s no problem whether I respond 2 !D or 1N, because p simply re-bids 2 !H.  If N has 6 spades, we’re also happy: N re-bids 2 !S (even if I’ve taken too many pills, I’m not likely to bid 2N over that … I don’t think). 

What happens if N has 3 or fewer hearts and only 5 spades?  After a 1N response N with 12/13 HCP will surely pass, as the most I can have is 11 HCP.  The options given for this problem mean N must have 14 (or good 13) HCP.  For N with 15+ HCP, it probably doesn’t matter how I respond.  The problem seems to boil down to “what is best when N has 13/14 HCP”?

1 !S – 1N – 2 !C heralds Bart’s arrival.  I’m going to be squirming between 3 !D (hoping that N is 5332) and 2N (in case N is 5xx4).  Because of the uncertainty over clubs, I’d probably choose 3 !D.  At least we’re not vulnerable. 

Is the situation better over 1 !S – 2 !D?  With a 5332 hand opposite a passed partner, N can pass.  So, that’s an improvement.  If N is 5xx4, he’s the one squirming (that’s an improvement too) but he’s not squirming much.  With 3 diamonds he can pass (and perhaps also with 2 good diamonds), otherwise 2N will prevail.  I then know that NT is a better choice than diamonds and can pass.  That all seems clearer and safer.

My instinct is to keep Bart socially distanced and respond 2 !D.   

blubayou

• IACAdmins
  • lifelong director [1977-2010] and haunter of ACBL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2020, 10:59:08 PM »
The July set caucht me saying to myself  "What ELSE?"   about 5 times.  Those answers i will tack on  "**"  at the end.  Then in a couple weeks i will change four of them and be wrong every time .
A:>>   pass   **
B:>>   1NT    **
C:>>   1NT    ?
D:>>   b2      **
E:>>   pass
F:>>   pass    **
G:>>  3 Dia   **
H:>>  Club 2
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 06:43:23 AM by blubayou »
often it is better to beg forgiveness, than ask permission

hoki

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2020, 10:23:46 AM »
I only agree with two out of those eight answers - and only one of those
two was a "what else" one. I'm still waiting to hear some discussion around
problem A before submitting my answers because I'm worried West might
be talking us out of something. How can partner have spades well stopped
when I hold AQ42? I'm considering bidding 4♣, 4♠, or 6NT - but never passing
when partner has at least 13 points opposite my 17.

Here are some what else's on the other problems:

B - redouble with my tens bringing my hand up to ten points (not 1NT when I
lack stoppers in both majors).

F - double and probably pass any bid partner makes.

G - 3 and pass 3♠ if that's all partner can do, must be better than defending
against 3♣.

Cheers,
Oliver

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2020, 12:35:08 PM »
I suppose I need to start thinking about this. So, s usual, I start with A.

I would have opened 1 !H if the !C A had been the !C 2. So partner thinks 3NT is a reasonable contract even if I had less than I have, but still he is expecting something from me.

I suppose he has some decent diamonds. Lho and I have at least 9 spades, so partner and Rho have at most four, guaranteeing that they have at they, pard and Rho, have an at least an 8 card fit in at least one suit. I suppose it's diamonds. If I thought diamonds could be run without loss then I might be thinking of a slam, but running the diamonds seems optimistic. If partner has !D AKJTx then maybe I can play Lho for !D Qxx, But if Lho has !D Qx then we are taking four diamonds not five.

All in all, it seems slam, any slam, is optimistic. I am about an A better than I need to be opening the hand, but partners with a good five card side suit have been known to push the envelope a bit in bidding 3NT.

It's very possible that the opening lead might not be a spade, it's very possible Rho doesn't have one. I don't kow if partner can cope with an opening club lead or not, but probably he can. I hope so.

I am not up for a slam try, 3NT must be the best shot at game, so I pass. 
Ken

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2020, 12:49:17 PM »
My initial thoughts:

Problem A: 6NT – I will echo hoki on this one.  He asks “How can partner have spades well stopped when I have AQ42?”  I remember watching, in my bridge youth, a very good pair find their 4-4 spade fit, and then make a couple of slam tries below game.  They signed off in game knowing they had about 30 combined HCPs when the (literally) little old lady doubled.  Their smug reply was to redouble, The confidence was wiped away when trump broke 5-0 headed by the AKQJ.  I don’t know if the opponent is fooling around or has a decent hand with five bad spades, but I think this is a do you trust partner or the opponents situation, and my hand is too good to passively pass at this point.  I will probably do this more slowly though.

Problem B:  2C – I have been giving considerable thought to redouble for the same reasons that hoki gave, but the quality of the club suit is pulling me that direction.  2C following the takeout double is non-forcing, but still should be viewed constructively by partner.  I would much rather partner bid the NT if that is the right strain with no tenaces and no major suit stoppers.  Bidding clubs may be just the impetus to get partner to make that call, and with Kx, I would not be unhappy to hear partner rebid diamonds.

Problem C:  1NT – I am torn between 1 !S and 1NT.  I feel like the NT is the better description.

Problem D: b2 – I do not want to give up on the 4-4 hearts, so I will start with the semi-forcing NT.  It helps that I have easy rebid options

Problem E:  Pass – I want to make a responsive double, but that is inadmissible.  I don’t have the values or shape to do anything but possibly back in later. 

Problem F:  Dbl – Too much shape to pass, not enough points to be more aggressive.  I hope partner bids a major, or has at least 5 if diamonds.  Crossing my fingers that I have enough defense if partner passes

Problem G: 3 !D – I don’t  like bidding when partner has preempted without a fit, while I feel like I need to do something.  Maybe something good will come of it.

Problem H:  !C 2 – Sorely tempted to lead a low spade.  Maybe I will come up with something more inspired nefore submission. 
A stairway to nowhere is better than no stairway at all.  -Kehlog Albran

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2020, 10:45:42 PM »
PROBLEM A: Pass.

What does partner have?
o   He doesn’t have heart support, otherwise he supports.
o   With a minor, over the 1 !S overcall, he bids it. Both 2 !C and 2 !D are forcing.
o   With both minors he doubles.
o   With !S Kx and no heart support, by the process of elimination he would have one or both minors. So partner’s spade stop is a long one. At least Jxx but almost surely Jxxx. (Yes, it’s remotely possible partner has the !S King and overcaller has Jack-fifth.)

These “dog that didn’t bark” clues lead me to believe partner has something like:

!S Jxxx — !H Jx — !D AKJx — !C QJx

Even giving partner more, say:

!S Jxxx — !H Tx — !D AKJx — !C AQJ

Leaves me wondering where 12 tricks will come from. I have no source of tricks.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 10:55:53 PM by Masse24 »
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

hoki

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2020, 11:12:54 AM »
These “dog that didn’t bark” clues lead me to believe partner has something like:
!S Jxxx — !H Jx — !D AKJx — !C QJx
Even giving partner more, say:
!S Jxxx — !H Tx — !D AKJx — !C AQJ

I wish I could say I'm convinced. Bidding 3NT with either of those hands means that
partner is relying on being able to run nine tricks after the spade stopper is knocked
out at trick 1. That is why I can't help thinking that partner really needs two spade
stoppers, something like K-10-x-x, to justify a jump when 3NT could otherwise be
reached in a more stately fashion.

And if you are giving partner J-x in hearts (not possible because I've got the jack)
or 10-x in hearts, then why not Q-x? In that case the second example is looking far
more likely. Partner can't know your spades are as good as they are, so wouldn't
partner first ponder over whether 4 gives a better matchpoint result than
3NT with a reasonable doubleton in support of hearts.

Modify it further as:
♠ K-10-x-x    Q-x    A-J-x-x   ♣ A-J-x
and do you still think it is right to pass?

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2020, 11:50:51 AM »
And if you are giving partner J-x in hearts (not possible because I've got the jack)
or 10-x in hearts, then why not Q-x?

Oops on including the Jack. Why not Qx? I thought about it and intentionally excluded it because I thought it good enough that partner might slow the auction down with a 2m response. Qx is good support (as doubletons go, which is his max). Because he didn't, I don't think his support is that good.

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2020, 12:01:46 PM »
There are many interesting things about A. I acknowledge that there might be 12 tricks there. Or not. I think "not" is a better bet. Here is a question:
What should we make of an auction that continues uncontested  after the 1 !S overcall: X -something-3NT? It seems this would be useful as a way of saying "I suppose I could play this in 3NT but if you have something else in mind, like maybe if !H Qx would be enough for you to want to play oin 4 !H, go ahead.
Ken

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2020, 02:23:40 PM »
Re Problem A:  When I wrote 6NT - that was more of a gut reaction.  I see my partner with a good 12 to a bad 16, so I think of a slam as having potential.  I do not think that partner has a good 5+ card suit (say !D  KQJxx or !C AQxxx), or it would have been bid!  I also do not see partner bidding like that on a Jxxx suit unless it is believed that there might be a source of tricks - that is when I can see partner holding the !H Q or !D AKQJ. Now given these restrictions, I don't think I want to bid slam unless I have all of the aces, so my actual bid will be 4 !C

I have too much to not try.  Nonetheless, I will need luck and/or finesses to bring this home anyway, so I will not go in knowing I have a loser in the form of an ace.  This will allow me to escape to 4NT if I don't have my final linchpin.  But I think to Pass on this hand is a losing proposition, both at the table and in MSC.

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2020, 10:54:40 AM »
Problem B:  2C seems right to me.

First let's see what the BWS agreements are:

After our minor-suit opening and a takeout double:
(a) a one-level new-suit response is forcing (by an unpassed hand);
(b) one diamond — (double) — two clubs is not forcing;
(c) two notrump shows a game-invitational or stronger raise of opener's suit (direct jump-raises are preemptive);
(d) a direct single raise is natural, similar to a single major-suit raise;
(e) a jump-shift is preemptive;
(f) a double jump-shift is a splinter raise;
(g) a redouble shows any hand with 10-plus HCP that is not suitable for a raise or a new-suit bid.

These are pretty much what I think of as standard agreements. One way to look at (b) and (g) is that 2C announces: I am content to play in 2C. If you have a typical 12-14 count then you can pass this out or, with a club fit, you can raise. But I am not prepared to play 2M X unless you have extras, and I doubt we have game unless you have extras." Otherwise put, we can compete to 3C if partner has the hand for it, or we can sell to 2M. If partner has a zillion diamonds he can do as he thinks best. If he has extras he can show it. But often he as a 12-14 point opener and then he can look at his shape and perhaps bid 3C.

The 2C is also effective interference. Doubles are often made on 4-3 in the majors, responders to the double are often 4-3 in the majors. Sometimes they have a 4-4 fit, sometimes not, and they have to sort on strength as well. 2C takes up some room.

Doubling would say that the opponents cannot be left to play 2M undoubled. I don't think I want to say that.
Ken

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2020, 02:10:19 PM »
Ken,

Sans the BWS research (and perhaps the specific order), you summarized my thinking on Problem B perfectly.

wackojack

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2020, 09:41:30 AM »
Problem A

After reading all the previous wisdom, can I have a go?

Simple analysis:
I have a good 17 and partner must have at least a good 14.  That makes 31.  So invite with 4NT.

More considered analysis:
We need to balance a credible 3NT by partner against a credible 1♠ overcall by West.  If we give partner ♠Kx only then we must expect running ♦s.  Say
(a)    ♠ Kx, ♥ xx, ♦ AKQJxxx, ♣ Qx giving West at most ♠J109xx, ♥ Qxx, ♦x, ♣ AJxx.  Not much of an overcall.  OTOH if we give partner
(b)    ♠ KJxx, ♥ Qx, ♦ AQxx, ♣ Qxx, then West could have ♠ 109876, ♥ xxx, ♦ KJx, ♣ AJ or
(c)    ♠ KJxx, ♥ xx, ♦ AQxx, ♣ Axx, then West could have  ♠ 109876, ♥ Qxx, ♦ KJx, ♣ QJ
Opposite all these hands we can make 12 tricks.  Trust partner has got his bid and not the opponents.  So go for 6NT. 

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2020, 01:16:31 AM »
Re Problem A: 
I don't think I want to bid slam unless I have all of the aces, so my actual bid will be 4 !C

I have too much to not try.

Jim,
Apparently you're intending this as Gerber?

I can't imagine BWS would treat it as such. Natural makes more sense. Maybe rethink this?