Author Topic: Don't bid your hand twice  (Read 1536 times)

wackojack

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
Don't bid your hand twice
« on: April 19, 2020, 02:01:54 PM »
"Don't bid your hand twice" is a very good maxim that is not often observed in the iac world.  So what do you do if you get nv v v:

!S AJ8
 !H KQJ8642
 !D  void
 !C K84

I was the dealer and opened 1  !H.  LHO doubled, partner responded 1  !S , RHO passes and I re-bid 4  !H.  Next LHO comes in with 5  !D.  Passed round to me.
1 !H -(x) - 1  !S -(p);
4 !H (5 !D) - p - (p);
?

Partner did not double 5  !D bearing in mind that my rebid of 4  !H would show good high card strength as opposed to out an opening bid of 4  !H.  So I assumed that 5 !D might well be makeable.  At the table my choice appeared to be between 5 !H for -800 if partner really did have zilch (but much more likely -500 or -300 or even -100) or pass accepting -600.  So I decided to bid on giving away 300 when partner had:

!S K653
 !H A9
!D 652
 !C 9752

So 5 !D would have gone 1 off.  I did castigate myself for breaking the rule "Don't bid your hand twice"  However, on reflection I am moving toward thinking that partner with 2 likely tricks and knowing that my hand shows power and is not just a pre-empt and should judge that 5  !D is likely to go at least 1 off. And so double.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 02:03:56 PM by wackojack »

kenberg

• View Profile
Re: Don't bid your hand twice
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2020, 06:04:01 PM »
There are many bridge sayings, for example "The five level belongs to the opponents".  But each case is unique.

I made my choice before reading the analysis, I chose pass, but of course the title of the  post might have influenced me. But I think I really would pass. Lho is placing a bet, maybe he collects, maybe not.

As for you pard, I am pretty sure I would not double 5 !D with his hand. I would perhaps consider 5 !H, but probably not that either. I would probably pass. I would not expect my !H A to cash so in general I would not expect my hand to be worth much on defense.

I think that the main reason I, with your partner's hand,  would not double is that maybe 5 !H is right and while I don't want to discourage him from bidding if he should wish to. I'm not saying my (your partner's) pass is forcing, imo it isn't, but passing leaves a 5 !H bid open for him while doubling 5 !D  really discourages it.

I don't regard the choices here as clear, not at all, they seldom are on an auction like this. But I think that if I am playing with my clone then Lho is playing 5 !D undoubled.
Ken