Author Topic: 2020 June - MASTER SOLVERS CLUB  (Read 10467 times)

Masse24

• View Profile
Re: 2020 June - MASTER SOLVERS CLUB
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2020, 09:50:49 PM »
PROBLEM A: 1NT.

An inverted-minor bid in diamonds (1 !D - 2 !D ) is common with only four-card support, but the jump to 3 !D should have five. I don't recall ever making this jump with only four-card support. To do so "feels" wrong, so I rule it out for the moment.

This leaves the mild maneuvering choice of 1 !S (in an effort to land in what I think is the best contract of 2 !D ), and the "value-bid" of 1NT.

It's a close call for me. A coin flip. At the table, I probably respond 1NT. But I like the science of the 1 !S response.

I'm not ready to commit, but I lean toward the vanilla, bog-standard, value-bid of 1NT.

PROBLEM B: 2NT.

I see what is probably five sure tricks if I choose to defend. However, the spades are just not robust enough for a penalty pass.

2NT looks about right on values, and only slightly misdescribes my shape, so is a strong contender.

The most flexible call is a cuebid of 2 !S. But flexible to what end? What does it accomplish?

PROBLEM C: 4 !S .

A complete guess. My nature here is to pass. It’s a flat hand with a weak five-card major. It’s nothing special. But I have come to realize that on hands that are close between a conservative pass and an aggressive call, it is more often best to take the high road.

That’s a weak argument, but it’s all I’ve got. 

This one is a tough decision for me.

PROBLEM D: b(4). 1 !H then 2NT.

1.   The b(3) option, 1 !H – 1NT – 2 !S, a reverse, is an uncomfortable misdescription of my hand. Half my points are in doubleton suits, which is not what partner will expect. It does not accurately describe where my “stuff” is. I may be totally off base, but I doubt this gets more than 3 or 4 panel votes.
2.   The b(2) option, 1 !H – 1NT – 2 !C, rebidding my doubleton, is the ”book bid” with this shape IF I had an Ace less. A silly option.
3.   The b(1) option, 1 !H – 1NT – Pass is even more silly. For obvious reasons.

That leaves only two viable options . . .

4.   b(4), 1 !H – 1NT – 2NT, upgrading a 5-card major 17 count to 18-19, or
5.   (a), 1NT, calling a 17 point hand a 17 point hand.
I know I’m not revealing new information here, since this is such a common treatment; opening 17 point 5332 hands with a five-card major with 1M intending a 2NT rebid is common (Expert-Standard if there is such a thing). I do it frequently, but NOT always. I would guess over 80% of the time.

When do I not do it? When the suit quality of the major is so poor that it does not warrant the upgrade. In those cases, I open it 1NT. The suit quality of this heart suit is awful. !H KT642. So it’s an auto-1NT right?

Not so fast. Change the hand just a tiny bit to: !S KQ2 - !H KT642 - !D A92 - !C AJ

That hand I open 1NT. The five-card major is garbage. This “flatter” 5332 hand is worth less than the MSC problem hand. The KnR for almost any 5332 combination of these cards (hearts remaining intact) is under 17.

The clincher, then, that improves the value of this MSC hand is the fourth spade. KnR = 18.0
So it’s b(4) for me.

PROBLEM E: 3 !D.

With four diamonds, rather than three cards in clubs, I would prefer to set up the diamonds.

I get the “I need more help in !C “ argument, and it may be best. 3 !C would also permit partner to offer a counter-try of 3 !D if he had no help in clubs.

This is an interesting problem. I guess we’ll find out how the big boys think regarding game-tries.

PROBLEM F: 2 !S .

Not confident. 2 !S could be right, keeping the bidding a level lower. However, 3 !D has the added benefit of taking the opps 3 !C bid away.

[Added]: I see now this is Matchpoints, which I missed. Oops! I changed this for that reason alone.

This is a complete guess.

PROBLEM G: 1NT!
Probably would have done this last round. But here we are.

Both 2 !H and Pass also possible with 2 !H likely the vanilla solver call. 

PROBLEM H: !C 9.

Down the middle. This should be popular with just about everyone. Second choice is the safe, give-nothing-away !C 9.

[Added]: Initially went with the !S Jack, still guaranteed to get plenty of votes. But I changed to the !C 9 for the reasons listed.

The !S J is only correct when dummy has Hx or declarer has KQx or Qxx and hopefully we can wait on those holdings. It's just wrong in all other cases like Hxx in dummy, Kxx in declarer's hand missing the Q.

SOLUTIONS FOR:
Todd Holes
Glen Ellyn IL
U.S.A.

PROBLEM A: 1 Notrump
PROBLEM B: 2 Notrump
PROBLEM C: 4 Spades
PROBLEM D: (b4)
PROBLEM E: 3 Diamonds
PROBLEM F: 2 Spades
PROBLEM G: 1 Notrump
PROBLEM H: Club 9

I may be wrong, but I get the feeling this set will produce a lot of similar answers. This typically results in very high scores. So I'm guessing something like a 730 will be required to make the honor roll.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 04:13:45 PM by Masse24 »
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

yleexotee

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2020, 11:39:29 PM »
A- 3D - You all convinced me that 1S was a right and clever bid. but due to my own weird rules of this game, I must bid 3D because I would never have truly thought of 1S. and everyone knows I wouldn't pass
B - 2nt - In real life I would strongly consider bidding 3nt, because I think there is a technical problem in standard bidding 2nt with a GF hand. But here I bid 2nt because spades are behind me and my spade holding is not as secure as I would like and its technically correct.
C- 4S - gamble, and everyone knows I wouldn't pass.
D- b4. would like to bid b3, but I think going from memory now that pard already didn't bid spades
E- 3C some kind of game try. I like 3D too. I should probably look up bws methods
F- 2S - I really wanted to bid 2D because I see in BWS methods this is preemptive. BUT 2S takes up so much more room. that I make that choice on a little reflection. I might bid 1D in real life because I don't see a new suit jump as a weak.
G - 1nt - I dn't have enough to pass. doesn't meet the rule of 9 (it's a 6 or 7 depending on counting the 10- so not really close)
H - JS bothers me that its everyone's choice! I was considering a low heart, leading through the heart responder.

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2020, 10:58:02 AM »
Trigger pulled - additional thoughts added for bids where I have given the problem significant additional consideration.

SOLUTIONS FOR:
James Creech
Fredericksburg VA
U.S.A.

PROBLEM A: 1 Spade  - thought strongly about bidding 1NT as the value bid, but the stiff heart too dangerous for me
PROBLEM B: 2 Notrump  - I would pass at the table, but don't think the panel will go for the penalty
PROBLEM E: 3 Clubs - with a partner that I normally play 2-way game tries, I would make the short suit try.  I really think that is the right try.  In the contest, I think most panelists will not when a direct bid is a help-suit GT.  3C asks about the most questionable suit (plus it allows for partner to counter with a 3D game try (which I would accept); so I will go with the more direct and flexible try.
PROBLEM F: 2 Diamonds
PROBLEM G: 2 Hearts
PROBLEM H: Spade Jack
A stairway to nowhere is better than no stairway at all.  -Kehlog Albran

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2020, 09:37:46 PM »
Pat's answers ---- CCR3

SOLVER: Pat McDermott
        N. Chesterfield. Va VA
        U.S.A.

Your Solutions for the June 2020 Contest 
-------------------
PROBLEM A: 1 Spade
PROBLEM B: Pass
PROBLEM D: (b1)
PROBLEM E: 4 Spades
PROBLEM F: 3 Diamonds

Thank you for participating in the Master Solvers Club.
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

DickHy

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2020, 09:39:08 PM »
A couple of undecideds. 

B.  I’m convinced Jock is correct theoretically, but securing 800 in penalties requires accurate defence.  I’m not sure I could pull that off, so in the debate between 600 or 800, I will opt for the former.  Philosophically, are we choosing bids in the BWS quiz which we would make at the table or the bids we believe top pros will make?

F.  I’m still wary about a 2D bid.  Pre-empting here just seems to offer opponents the chance for a telephone number.  I suppose I ought not to leave 1Cxx in, so 1D will do.  Partner will know from the bidding that I have nowt.

SOLUTIONS FOR:
Dick Harvey
Southampton
U.K.

PROBLEM A: 1 Notrump
PROBLEM B: 3 Notrump
PROBLEM C: Pass
PROBLEM F: 1 Diamond

MarilynLi

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2020, 08:40:54 AM »
PROBLEM A: 1 Spade.   I can pass any partner's non forcing rebid and I'm willing to play a 4-3 spades fit with the ability to ruff H in short trump hand.
PROBLEM B: 2 Notrump.   This shows my strength and stopper in Spades and gives partner room if he likes to make a second bid.
PROBLEM C: Pass.   Too balanced and too many losers to bid and non vul.
PROBLEM D: (a).   Not a great 17 hcp hand. Just look like a 1NT opener to me.
PROBLEM E: 3 Diamonds.   Natural game try.
PROBLEM F: 2 Spades.   Preemptive. Plan to bid D next round

drac

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2020, 12:40:22 PM »
Wladislaus Dragwlya
Castrum Sex
Romania

PROBLEM A: 3 Diamonds
PROBLEM B: 2 Notrump
PROBLEM D: (a)
PROBLEM E: 3 Diamonds
PROBLEM F: 1 Diamond
PROBLEM G: 2 Diamonds

bAbsG

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2020, 03:23:41 PM »
SOLVER: Babs Giesbrecht
       Qualicum Beach BC
       Canada

Your Solutions for the June 2020 Contest 
-------------------
PROBLEM A: 2 Diamonds
PROBLEM H: Club 6

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2020, 04:18:14 PM »
Pulled the trigger. Went with choices above.

One change I made, the lead problem . . .

PROBLEM H: !C 9.

Initially went with the !S Jack. But the !S J is only correct when dummy has Hx or declarer has KQx or Qxx and hopefully we can wait on those holdings.

It's just wrong in all other cases like Hxx in dummy, Kxx in declarer's hand missing the Q. 

Although any !C lead could work, the least misleading (no pun intended) for my partner is the !C 9.

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2020, 04:59:28 PM »
I looked up leads on BWS.
Against NT, I believe that a club lead should be the 6:

From BWS:
"Against notrump contracts:
   (i) Honor leads: ace requests unblock or count signal; queen requests jack; highest equal from non-ace sequences and interior sequences
   (ii) Spot-card leads: fourth-highest; second-highest (but highest of equals) from a weak suit"

Often I see these second highest leads from spots against suits as well, but against   according  BWS:
"Spot-card leads: third-highest from even length; lowest from odd length".
That's BWS against suits.

At any rate, I had decided on a club lead so I looked up BWS to see which spot they prefer. It makes sense for the spot card lead rules to depend on NT or suits.

Ken

wackojack

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2020, 05:28:42 PM »
SOLUTIONS FOR:
Jack Goody
Guildford
U.K.

PROBLEM A: 1 Spade
PROBLEM E: 3 Diamonds (changed Q !D help more important)

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2020, 05:29:13 PM »
I looked up leads on BWS.
Against NT, I believe that a club lead should be the 6:

From BWS:
"Against notrump contracts:
   (i) Honor leads: ace requests unblock or count signal; queen requests jack; highest equal from non-ace sequences and interior sequences
   (ii) Spot-card leads: fourth-highest; second-highest (but highest of equals) from a weak suit"

Oopsy

Hope enough panelists are either too lazy to read BWS, or simply like the "big fat 9" rather than the "itty-bitty 6."  ;)

Curls77

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2020, 06:13:41 PM »
Wouldn't risk Todd "yelling" at me again  :-[

PROBLEM A: 3D
PROBLEM B: 3N
PROBLEM C: 4S
PROBLEM D: b4
PROBLEM E: 3D
PROBLEM F: 2S
PROBLEM G: Pass
PROBLEM H: sJ

ccr3

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2020, 08:15:01 PM »
A: 1s
B. Pass
C. 4S
D. B4
E. 4S
F. 3d
G. 2H
H. JS

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2020, 12:23:04 AM »
If any of you have previously followed the link provided in the beginning of month post, you'll see how the scores are tallied. This month, I thought I would see what the total was of the different choices for each problem. To make it easy, I just created mini pivot-tables.

The link is here: Totals by Problem Click on the second worksheet (at the bottom) titled: 2020 June Prob Totals

I find the numbers on Problem "C" surprising, thinking that Pass would be the popular choice. Instead, most of the IAC went high with 4 !S.

Problem "D," was no surprise. Most went with opening 1 !H then rebidding 2NT. I thought this problem the easiest of the set.

There are a couple of straggler IACers who normally post. One entered into the spreadsheet, the totals will automatically adjust.

I was thinking that it might be interesting--fun too--to post all of the most popular answers from our IAC forum to The Bridge World MSC using a pseudonym. We would all have a piece of it!  :D

Opinions?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 12:25:51 AM by Masse24 »