Author Topic: Di stories - favourite bridge convention  (Read 2473 times)

hi bye

• View Profile
Di stories - favourite bridge convention
« on: April 10, 2020, 05:05:15 PM »
Hello! I'd like to share with you my favourite bridge convention. I didn't know what it means at the beginning but with the time I started to use it much. The convention is about bidding opponents suit, to ask your partner if they have a stopper in the bid suit. For example, opponent bids 2 spades, and I bid 3 spades, which will be ask for spade stopper (of course it depends on partnership agreement). I like this convention very much, although I am not sure how it is called. And you? What is your favourite bridge convention? Please, share with us!
This is probably last story of Di stories for now. I really loved all your stories and it was great pleasure for me. It was good feeling to read everything, because I know that people have different points of view. Your stories were wonderful!
Thank you for your trust and I hope I will see you again at the bridge table.

jcreech

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
Re: Di stories - favourite bridge convention
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2020, 02:17:03 AM »
I have been asked this question many times over the years, and my answer has solidified into "whatever convention best describes my current hand best."

I have played so many conventions and treatments, that I can see costs and benefits with nearly all.  So my solution is typically to accept whatever my partner feels comfortable with, and apply the nuances that come with those choices.  Typically, for me, it is not any specific convention, but the system, how the pieces go together, and figuring out what the strengths and weaknesses of the system are.

My favorite system was based on a 16-18 NT, four-card majors and "action" two bids (all four suits were 9-12 and could be 1, 2 or 3 suited, but the opening suit had to be at least five cards in length).  There were a lot of specialty bids that would not fit into other systems, but it was a system that created a lot of difficulty for opponents and fun to play.
A stairway to nowhere is better than no stairway at all.  -Kehlog Albran