Author Topic: will pairs ladder, or team ladder start up again,,,how many are interested?  (Read 18472 times)

thornbury

• View Profile
I notice several pairs registered.    We used to have a lot of fun there.   Will it start up again, and how many would be interested in a PAIRS or TEAM ladder?

OliverC

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • OCP Super-Precision
I've been thinking about this. If Joe is happy to be the main Administrator for the Ladder again, I'm happy for it to go ahead again, but there may be some teething problems, because the code hasn't really been tested since I re-wrote the site.

Joe?
Oliver (OliverC)
IAC Website Obergruppenfuhrer

sallyally

• View Profile
I that my former team is interested.  So that would be 5 of us.  The team is now being handled by another member but we have periodic discussions about practice when new team games are formed. 

yleexotee

• View Profile
I'd be happy to shepherd the ladder again.

OliverC

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • OCP Super-Precision
Hi All,

Many thanks, Joe.

I've "cleared" the Ladder to avoid us having Pairs listed who don't want to play this time around. That means Pairs will have to register again. Once we have enough Pairs registered I or Joe will initialise the Ladder and matches can commence.

If you're interested in playing in the Pairs Ladder, therefore, please head over to the Pairs Ladder page on the site and register you and your partner for it.
Oliver (OliverC)

yleexotee

• View Profile
Olilver,
Do we have the rules listed somewhere. I know we had them worked out fairly well, but I haven't noticed where the rules list is housed yet.

OliverC

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • OCP Super-Precision
If you click on the highlighted "Help" on the right-hand side of the Menu, that displays the Ladder Rules.
Oliver (OliverC)

Kritter2

Will the pair Ladder games ever be restarted?   

Also, it seems unclear about the team games... will there be a ladder team game?

Many of us enjoyed playing in the ladder games and hopefully they will be set up again.

Shirl  (kritter2)

OliverC

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • OCP Super-Precision
The main thing at the moment is the Pairs Ladder. It will start up again, but only once I've found the time to root out the errors on the page
Oliver (OliverC)

ian84

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
I spoke with Joe a couple of nights ago. As I couldnt get into the forum until yesterday my understanding over whats going on with the Pairs Ladder was skewed. It was my understanding that the Website pairs ladder wasnt working, and might not be fixed for a while.

And so I  had developed a spreadsheet which could be used in place of the website feature and talked it over with Joe, who seemed pleased in my interest.

You'll obviously need to confirm it with Joe, but I am happy to take over the admin of all Pairs and Team activity. If there's programming work still needing doing I may be able to help with that too. I was a mainframe programmer for most of my adult life and would be happy to get stuck into whatever computer language you use here.
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids

OliverC

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • OCP Super-Precision
It's all PHP and MySQL-based, but obviously with a lot of HTML/Javascript and CSS chucked in, Ian.

I'll be honest, I think it would be hard for anyone else to "do" much with the Pairs Ladder page, as it's several thousand lines of fairly convoluted and un-commented code. Part of the problem is that I wrote the code in the first place, but even I will need to spend several hours just going through it all to re-acquaint myself with how it's structured, let alone finding the things that need amending in the code to get the whole page working like clockwork again. It was working fine before, so it may even be a question of the Ladder settings data being out-of-kilter.

It'll be a lot of trial and error to track down exactly what is causing the problems in the first place. I need to clear 2 whole days completely, because it's really not something you can successfully tackle a bit at a time (at least, I can't).

The Teams Series and Teams Ladder pages are similar. Most of the IAC website is fairly simple (assuming you're into PHP) once you understand how the W3 css works, but those are the three most complex pages on the whole site. It's not a question of your skills as a programmer, which I don't doubt, but it's mostly a question of understanding how my mind works and how I've structured the code.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 09:26:35 AM by OliverC »
Oliver (OliverC)

ian84

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
Well as I say I have built an Excel spreadsheet that looks to me to be whats needed as a getaround and could be used to get the Pairs matches kick-started into life again. I'll write it up and post it in the Admins section for everyone's perusal. Obviously it would be much better to have the IAC site facility working correctly.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 09:52:07 AM by ian84 »

OliverC

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • OCP Super-Precision
Absorbing an Excel sheet into the site might not be totally straightforward (given no hooks into the database)
Oliver (OliverC)

ian84

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
I was thinking of putting it up on our shared Dropbox area

Curls77

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Oliver, what Ian suggest is keep a separate file, run by himself (no sweat from any other of us), which would be temporary solution while real thingy isnt functional.
I am sure it's not much viable, as most players might do damage to the sheet without wanting it; but heck, they so loved that Pair Ladder, lets have it going with few or more flaws just for time being?

For you Ian: such sheet would need entries of when match is and whom they opp. Can you make a sheet alike IAC site, where a player only selects from drop box their name (with p) and from another whom they played against? It will significantly reduce errors.