Author Topic: Di stories - someone to remember  (Read 3147 times)

hi bye

• View Profile
Di stories - someone to remember
« on: March 27, 2020, 12:28:33 PM »
At first I didn't know his name. I only knew that he lives alone. He was very old, around 80, with white hair and lovable eyes. Then I started to talk to him - his name was Boris. His voice was low, his hands were trembling. But grandpa Boris was very smart. It was some time ago, he used to teach Physics. He loved to solve crossword puzzles in the newspaper. I don't know how he found out that I play bridge, maybe someone from my family told him. One morning I was going to school and I saw him. As he approached, his hands trembling, he gave me pieces from bridge articles he cut from the newspapers. There were around 40 articles. I smiled and I said: "Thank you, grandpa Boris" I took the articles, my eyes were full of tears.
Days after that, he passed away. Its been over 10 years and I still keep the articles. I read some of them. And I will always remember grandpa Boris - the person who gave me so much and changed everything. I've come to the conclusion: Don't judge, the smartest person maybe dressed in poor clothes. 

kenberg

• View Profile
Re: Di stories - someone to remember
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2020, 03:20:00 PM »
Hey, hey, hey! "He was very old, around 80" 
I was born January 1, 1939.
"very old" varies with age.

I'm joking around here. I do agree I am not a newbie.

Now as to crossword puzzles: Age plays a role, pro or con, in getting these right. For example:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/crossword-puzzles/sunday-evan-birnholz/?itid=sf_

9 down: Ingrid's classic role: Ilsa of course

114 down: Bolts like Bolt: I first thought of Tommy "Thunder" Bolt, a golfer who I am pretty sure I saw in the St. Paul Open c.1952. I was running scores back to the clubhouse, and I moved while he was getting ready to putt. My error! But no, not that Bolt. The reference is to (I think) some cartoon character and the answer is "sprints".

« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 03:26:59 PM by kenberg »
Ken

jcreech

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2020, 08:15:29 PM »
One of my early mentors was Ralph.  I first met Ralph when I was in Junior High.  He was one of the Health teachers, and was notorious for yelling at the kids running down the hallway.  At the time, my impression of him was not all that favorable. 

Fast forward about 20 years, and I am between a Post-Doc and employment, playing and directing in some in clubs near my parent’s home.  Ralph was a permanent fixture at table 1 and probably the most respected player in the area.  So it was gratifying when he wanted to partner with me on a regular basis.
We played his home-grown system, which was based on a 13-15 NT, a short club (when balanced 16-20), and a variety of other things that no one else I have ever played with use.  It was a system that was designed around right-siding contracts and guiding defensive play.

He was someone who abused the alert system when teaching someone this system, but sometimes it led to funny situations.  In the course of two weeks, we had a auction of 1C by him, 1NT by me, which he alerted.  The first time, he explained my bid as 8-11 HCPs, no five-card major and at least three cards to be led into.  He continued by saying that he has been playing this system for more than 20 years, and in that time it had never come up, so he was certain that while I may have the points right, I probably did not have all of the required elements.  I did, the hand was right-sided, and I was the only one making a critical overtrick at matchpoints because of that bid.

When the auction reoccurred two weeks later, he gave the exact same explanation, until the end, where he added: until two weeks ago, when this same partner made this bid correctly, and he would bet anything that I had that hand again.  I did, the hand was right-sided, and I made a game that was set at the other table, but this time it was IMPs, and led to a win in the match.

When I was reintroduced to Ralph, he was on borrowed time; he had been on dialysis for more than 10 years at a time when few lived even 5 years once needing that procedure.  He died shortly after I had left the area for a job, but I’ve never forgotten the lessons Ralph taught me.  And I sometimes wish I could play his system again.
A stairway to nowhere is better than no stairway at all.  -Kehlog Albran

Curls77

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2020, 09:20:36 PM »
Since little I was always encouraged do volunteering. I was about 9 yrs old and with RedCross we sometimes collected coins for stamps that would be used for what was needed. But then program came that who wanted would be allocated to an elderly without family, and our job was on way to school (yes, back in those times kids walked to school and back), we should pass by them, get shopping list and buy stuff on our way back. If nothing to shop, just sit there for 5 mins and talk to them.
And as Di, I was given this wonderful old man, his name was Ivan, previous literature professor. I always loved read, but instead of sitting with him for 5 mins, I'd sit 5 hours and have my mom or dad pull me out by hair LOL
After a year or so, a day came when i knocked, it was tuesday, i remember as yesterday and I found him sitting in kitchen, looking asleep. Note in his hand - sorry so sorry i left u before i could tell u of all other good books :(  I cried for weeks. & never forgot him.
But it hit me so hard, that I switched my volunteer to animals. Not that I did much better emotionally there when I lost any..
Ouch, just realized what i said, i wonder where IAC belongs? ;)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 09:22:47 PM by Curls77 »

ian84

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2020, 01:00:30 PM »
114 down: Bolts like Bolt:

Ken, I'm guessing this is a reference to Olympic champion sprinter Usain Bolt
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids