Author Topic: yesterday's Dare  (Read 1745 times)

kenberg

• View Profile
yesterday's Dare
« on: March 24, 2020, 05:18:33 PM »
I made a mess of things yesterday. Whether Dare or otherwise I like to think through later and find errors. I played boards 3 and 6. On 6 I was just lazy, I even saw what I should do, I just, for whatever the reason, didn't do it. But 3 was interesting and remains interesting

!S KQ
!H void
!D AJ943
!C AKQJT7

!S A843
!H AKT4
!D T65
!C 52

Lho deals:
3 !H - 6 !C - Pass - 6NT
All Pass

The opening lead is the !S T.

OK. We assume, reasonably, that Lho has 7 hearts. Probably he does not have !D KQxx, and in fact he follows to one round of !C and later follows to a !S so he has at most three !D.

Is that enough? Is the hand now cold regardless of the lie, as long as Lho holds 7 hearts and at most three diamonds? I think we also need to assume that Lho has at least one diamond, but when he shows up with only one !C I think we can say he is unlikely to have a !D void. That would give him five spades.

If the !D honors are split we can make this and if the !D honors are both in one hand, either hand, we can make this, but I am thinking the play has to go differently in some of the cases. I have yet to find one line of play that works, requiring only the above assumptions (seven hearts with Lho and either 1 or 2 or 3 diamonds with Lho).

It's a very interesting hand. I think it is reasonable to play for the !D honors to be divided, either Hxx with Rho and Hx with Lho or vice-versa, or maybe Hxxx opposite H .  If we assume that, then the hand is cold.

I had a thought on what would work, but it was not a good thought.

Ken

Curls77

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: yesterday's Dare
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 10:53:31 PM »
 :)