Author Topic: Di stories - the story behind hi bye  (Read 2749 times)

hi bye

• View Profile
Di stories - the story behind hi bye
« on: March 19, 2020, 11:55:42 AM »
I still remember the time I tried to create profile on bbo. I tried with several names but they were all taken. Then, I decided to write something like hi bye, hoping it won't be taken. And there it is - my bridge profile. I have had many questions about where my nick name comes from. I used to think that it comes from hi - hello, nice to meet you and bye - goodbye, in the end. In this life, we have many hi's and bye's. The truth is that it was created spontaneous, without much thinking :) I also found out there was one man who had similar profile to mine. He doesn't come much online, but when I have the chance, I talk to him. Have you ever met people on bbo with similar profile to yours? Did you talk to them? What is the story behind your bridge profile? Share with us!

kenberg

• View Profile
Re: Di stories - the story behind hi bye
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2020, 01:45:05 PM »
No doubt the choice of nicknames provides some insight into the personality. My nickname is kenberg, derived from the fact that my name is Ken Berg. Occasionally I wish I had gone with Mighty Mouse, a favorite cartoon character in my early years.  Or perhaps, more apt to be non-duplicated, Harry Lime. The Third Man (Lime is the villain)  was the first adult level novel that I can recall reading. I was fascinated by the extended discussion of the underground sewer system in Vienna. And Orson Welles was a great Harry Lime in the movie. Still,  kenberg is nice and simple. I like simple.

Ken

jcreech

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2020, 03:02:48 PM »
jcreech is actually my second name on BBO.  My first was creecher, but I forgot the password and it is linked to another email (which I also could not remember), so BBO could not find it acceptable to let me have my old name back.  I was shocked when jcreech was available.

Originally, I wanted creature, which was my name on a different gaming site, Imagination.  When I shifted to BBO, I was hoping to carry over the same name.  No such luck.

One of my favorite names belongs to a long-time friend.  notzia.  He held that name on Imagination and was able to get it on BBO as well.  He took that name because, obviously, he is not Zia.  Zia is a personal bridge hero of his, and about 25 years ago, on his 40th birthday, several of us decided to get him a group present - we arranged a game at a regional tournament for him with Zia as his partner.  I think they scratched, but not very high.  Nonetheless, it was the experience of a lifetime for my friend.
A stairway to nowhere is better than no stairway at all.  -Kehlog Albran

Masse24

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2020, 04:04:54 PM »
Masse24

I alluded to the origin in a previous post.

I was once a pool player. A very good pool player. I played a lot. Played tournaments. Gambled (you must if you want to play the best players). I was not world class, but I would estimate that I was in the next level below that.

In college I was lucky enough to meet and play Willie Mosconi. Later, in my 20’s, I played a few tournaments, once beating Jimmy Wetch (who later rose to #4 on the tour), and losing in the final to Greg Fix (ranked #16 at the time). But I didn’t play enough to be in their league. Soon after moving to the Chicago area in 1992 I entered a small weeknight tournament. There were probably 35 players. Because I was an unknown I got to play a top seeded player in the first round—Billy Incardona!!! If you’ve ever watched professional pool on TV, he often did the expert commentary opposite some talking head. Anyway, it was 9-Ball, race to 13. He broke, ran 9 racks—yes NINE--had a tough shot so played safe. I finally got off my chair to shoot rather than rack. I had no shot—played a masse two-rail kick shot just to get a hit (which I did). Billy said, “nice shot” and meant it. I sat while he ran four more racks. So I got blanked 13-0! 😊

So what’s a masse?

Often considered a “trick shot,” in a real game of pool, it is often used as a last resort to extricate oneself from a difficult position. It is . . . a fancy shot. It’s a shot made by hitting the cue ball with the cue held nearly vertically; the cue ball spins around another ball before hitting the object ball.

I used to be fairly good at masse shots. Plus I just like the word.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 04:43:50 PM by Masse24 »
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

djc11

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2020, 09:05:43 AM »
Well, my bbo nick djc isn't much of a mystery. It's the initials for my full name, though the j shouldn't strictly be there as Dibya and jyoti are not separate in my name ;D. But there is kind of a weird reason for the number 11 along with it. I have used djc11 for almost all registrations on different gaming websites. Djc originates from my school and college days, when my friends who did not want to pronounce either my full name (which is understandable :P) or the shorter Bengali form Dibya (not at all understandable :(), chose to call me djc instead. It sort of stuck due to some common friends percolating through my academic days up to my office days.

Now coming to the number 11; from my early childhood days, it sort of fascinated me (being the first numerical palindrome, first 2-digit prime number, etc.). I used to declare it in public as my favourite number (that is when someone asked me what my lucky number was). The reason, in retrospect, is not very lucid to me but may be partly due to the fact that almost all my friends declared a single digit number as their favourite, and I may have thought of going against the popular opinions ;D. Since then, I remember to have correlated all positive events in my life to this number (including my favourite sport, football, having 11 players ;D), until I entered the later years of adolescence and all these became pretty silly (along with many other things! :P).

But when most websites made it mandatory to include numbers or special characters,etc. etc. to an user ID, the number 11 sort of came as a natural choice to me, probably due to living with it for so long! And that's how djc11 was created and ultimately came to BBO as well :).
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 09:07:37 AM by djc11 »

Curls77

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2020, 09:31:39 PM »
well, mine nick must be most boring of all. I was always Curls, as it was my childhood nickname (Lokna in serbian), and even on msn i got that nick no idea how none it got in before me. Then in later spade site i used same, until we created fox club (alike iac) and we all had 2nd name, mine was CurlyRedFox. When I joined bbo that one was too long and plain Curls taken, so i just typed 77 and it was free -- i was NOT born 1977 (wish i was) lol
BTW i love hi bye name, lovely!