Author Topic: Di stories - Think. Count. Plan  (Read 2405 times)

hi bye

• View Profile
Di stories - Think. Count. Plan
« on: March 13, 2020, 09:51:54 AM »
Do you have something you tell to yourself before playing certain hand?
My bridge teacher used to say: "Never play automatic. Many players do play automatic. Instead of that - Think. Count. Plan.
Think. Always think. Count. Follow everything. Plan. Build strategy". At first I didn't realize how important are these words. I used to play impulsive, without thinking. But with the time, I learnt that bridge is a thinking game and if I wish to improve, I have to change something. I started to recall his words in my head. I think more now. I try to count and when I see the hand, I need minute or two to build a strategy. Maybe It doesn't work always, but I have the feeling that my teacher wanted to make me think about the things. He always said that if I want to be good in bridge, I have to learn to win and lose. "You cannot win if you don't know how to lose. Because these two things are part of the game" he said to me. Even though we don't play together anymore, I am truly grateful for everything he taught me. And you? Do you have a rule you follow? What is your bridge strategy? Share with us!

ian84

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
Re: Di stories - Think. Count. Plan
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2020, 02:42:39 PM »
You should always take a minute to plan your play BEFORE playing dummy's first card. For NT contracts, count your immediate certain tricks and then work out where you will develop the other tricks that you will need.

For trump contracts count all your immediate losers and work out how you will lose those losers such that you'll make your contract.

This should come as second nature to any player claiming to be Intermediate or better.
I used to work on the BIL Club's Beginners program and they used to run a 6 week course on play of the hand. There is a lot of stuff to consider beyond the above quick precis.
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids