Author Topic: Answer to 5NT - With or without the K of trump?  (Read 3579 times)

henriqued

• View Profile
Answer to 5NT - With or without the K of trump?
« on: March 13, 2020, 09:32:00 AM »
During the bid, when playing RKC (5 keys), after the answer to 4NT, when we included the K of trump, e.g., bidding 3 clubs with 2 aces and the K of trump (3041), if partner asks 5NT and we have one K other than the K of trump, the answer is 5 hearts or 5 diamonds, i.e., should we restate the K of trump or not?

ian84

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
Re: Answer to 5NT - With or without the K of trump?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2020, 03:27:30 PM »
Firstly be aware that there are 2 treatments available.

1. Bid lowest non-trump king. Bidding will then proceed 'up the line'.
or
2. Bid number of kings.

In either method the king of trumps is not counted or bid
At always, it's very important to ensure you and your p have agreed the treatment you'll use.
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids

Masse24

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2020, 05:13:29 PM »
As Ian wrote, Do NOT include the trump King in your response to a 5NT "King ask." You've already shown it--do not bid it twice.

The most common methods are the two Ian mentioned.

1. Number of Kings
2. Specific Kings -- this is a superior method to #1 above.

A third method, one not so widely known, is the Denial Method, in which the bidder responding to the 5NT King-ask bids the lowest non-trump suit in which he does not have a King. I have not played this, only read about it. I first saw it played on Vugraph by Gavin Wolpert. A recipe for disaster if not in synch with partner!  ;D

Regardless of which method you use, most people (except Kit Woolsey) who play RKCB use 5NT (or its equivalent if playing Kickback) to show all five keycards. Knowing this, if the partner of the 5NT bidder has an undisclosed source of tricks--or some other feature that allows him to count 13 tricks between the partnership--he should just bid the grand rather than showing his kings.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 05:15:00 PM by Masse24 »
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

blubayou

• IACAdmins
  • lifelong director [1977-2010] and haunter of ACBL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2020, 06:19:45 PM »
I have combined the Denial idea with the Showing idea, at least in my phantasy league.   IE: with one side king, you bid it,  and with two,  you bid the suit that does not have a king ( often partner will HAVE that king, and all will go smoothly, but I expect we will be flailing some, when partner has zero side kings himself)  Showing  the two side kings  one by one  is a mess.
often it is better to beg forgiveness, than ask permission