Author Topic: 1m-Pass-Pass-1NT?  (Read 2080 times)

kenberg

• View Profile
1m-Pass-Pass-1NT?
« on: March 05, 2020, 03:06:50 AM »
This auction came up earlier today and led to some discussion, including what Mike Lawrence says (or at one time said, these things change). Here is what ML has to say in The Complete Book on Balancing. I  will put what I think is the most important part in italics.

Everything in quotes is from the ML book
"What should 1NT show?   If you asked ten good players you might find less agreement than you expected, and if you asked ten inexperienced players the discrepancy could be eave greater.

After a bit more general philosophy we find:

"So what should the lower range be? I would say your lower range is something like a good 11.
Now comes the tricky part. Your upper range is about 14 points if you are re-opening after one club or one diamond, but it is about 16 after one heart or one spade."

This is pretty much what I use in my f2f partnership with a friend. But please note the italicized part. Views vary, as we saw in the discussion.  Partner and I were fill-ins for today's game, we had discussed nothing but the most basics: 2/1, 1430, standard carding, natural overcalls if they open 1NT.

In the case today, I was second hand, my Rho opened 1 !D, I had a ten count that included five hearts to the JT, not something I wanted to overcall with, so it went
1 !D - Pass - Pass -1NT
Pass
and now I had to find a call. I decided on 2NT, which was  passed out. There are 9 fairly clear tricks in NT, partner took 10 tricks,  and 4 !H has a decent play. The 1 !D opening makes the play easier.

But: It is pointless to say who should have done what differently. If a pair plans to play together regularly, they should decide on a range. It doesn't matter if it's the range i prefer, it should be the range that they both agree to. In a pick-up partnership, there will be such misunderstandings. Guaranteed. So we just relax when it happens

Oh. And with my f2 f partner we agree that after a balancing 1NT, Stayman and transfers are on. One could do better, since if the auction begins 1 !H - Pass - Pass - 1NT it makes no sense that then, after  the 1 !H opener passes, a 2 !D bid by partner is a transfer to hearts. So one could choose a different use for 2 !D. {Added: Since the 1NT balance has a pretty broad range after the 1 !H opening, it might be useful to use both 2 !H and 2 !D as a transfer to spades, but with differing strengths. That's just me, not ML as far as I know.  But that's not frequent enough to worry about. ]

A sample hand from ML:

1 !C - Pass - Pass
Both vul

!S K3
!H T65
!D KJ87
!C AJ54

ML says this is a minimal had for the 1NT balance. The essential thing is to have a discussion or an agreed upon reference or something.

As mentioned, I go along with this ML approach but no doubt other authors have other approaches

« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 12:36:23 PM by kenberg »
Ken

Masse24

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
Re: 1m-Pass-Pass-1NT?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2020, 12:42:55 PM »
I see the 15-17 balancing notrump frequently. It's a guess as to what range to expect with a pickup partner. I assume 11-14.

With discussion, I also like to play as Lawrence suggests. If so, and the range is 11-16 or so for when the opps open 1M, then Range Stayman is a handy gadget to sort it out.
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

jcreech

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2020, 01:25:41 PM »
I usually assume 11-14 when the opening is 1 !C, and start shading upward with the greater certainty of longer suits for the opener.  I might stretch downward with an upgradeable 10 (lots of 10's and 9's primarily).  I will seldom consider going above 16 HCPs - it would have to be an easily downgradeable 17 - say doubleton KQ or KJ somewhere or worthless spot cards. 

The other thing I look for is a potential stopper.  With the major suit opener, I would want something reasonably solid.  With diamonds, where the certainty of four or more is 90+%, then I am hoping for reasonable, but will live with probable.  With clubs, I hope for probable plus, but will live with a wish and a prayer. 

I don't usually like throwing out so many technical terms, but I am sure you can find them defined almost anywhere - Todd's favorite is Black's Law Dictionary - lol.
A stairway to nowhere is better than no stairway at all.  -Kehlog Albran

Masse24

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2020, 05:47:10 PM »
I don't usually like throwing out so many technical terms, but I am sure you can find them defined almost anywhere - Todd's favorite is Black's Law Dictionary - lol.

Black’s Law Definitions applied to Bridge:

Usually             = When convenient.
Seldom            = Once in a blue moon. Roughly the same frequency as my partner having good cards.
Stopper             = 8xxxx
Reasonable      = Whatever I say it is.
Probable           = Depending on what I need it to mean, either better than a 1% chance, or hovering around 99%.
Probable Plus   = See above. 2% to 99%
Wish                = It probably will not happen.
Prayer             = See above, but appealing to a higher power.
Wish & a Prayer = Appealing to a higher power, but received “No” for an answer. See also: Fat Chance.
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln