Author Topic: Di stories - good tournament with unforgettable story  (Read 2969 times)

hi bye

• View Profile
Di stories - good tournament with unforgettable story
« on: February 28, 2020, 10:58:08 AM »
What is needed for good tournament? I'd say experienced TD. Serious players. Good pace of play. Nice partner. And of course, good cards and some luck. Every one of us has answer to this question.
And what is needed for unforgettable story? Interesting beginning. If the beginning is not interesting, no one would read. Happy ending. We all love happy endings. Endings about how people succeed, how they fulfill their dreams, or how they find true love. But one story can have sad ending as well. Most of my stories have this boundary between happy and sad ending. Because I believe that if there is no sadness, we wouldn't know what happiness is.
My question today is: Have you ever had good tournament with unforgettable story?
Here is a story about my first bridge award - which makes it good tournament with unforgettable story. It was one year ago, I participated in the Sofia bridge festival. I competed in the junior category. At first, I was feeling nervous - this was my first big tournament and I didn't have much experience from the live game. The atmosphere was great - many players from Bulgaria and from other countries participated. There were 3 tournaments in the junior category. And the feeling was amazing. I have one first and one third place. I am really thankful to my partner, also junior player, and to the organizer of the festival. At the end, there was a ceremony, for prizes for the winners. Me and my partner were called first. I couldn't believe it! I was so happy in this moment! That was my first bridge award. Days after that, the excitement of this tournament couldn't leave me.
And you? Do you have interesting bridge story to tell? Share with us!

kenberg

• View Profile
Re: Di stories - good tournament with unforgettable story
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2020, 02:33:23 PM »
My stories are more of the "perhaps amusing" sort rather than unforgettable, but here is one from long ago.

We were playing in a seven board Swiss match, the opponents had a spirited auction, uncontested, ending in 5 !S.  I don't recall my hand exactly but the important features were the !H Axxx and the !D xxx. Neither opponent had said anything about their !D holding so that seemed right, I led a !D spot. The dummy came down and I noticed with surprise that dummy also had a !H A.  I looked again at my hand and saw that I actually held  !D Axxx and !H xxx. Uh oh. However dummy had !D KJxx.  This has possibilities. Declarer played the J from dummy, partner played the Q from QT and there was a bit of a delay until she realized that the Q had actually held the trick. She led back the T to my A, I played a third !D, ruffed. They had plenty of tricks in the side suits had we not gotten the first three.

When our partners came back to get the scores, their first  question was "Did they get to that !S slam?". I replied,"Not to worry, we set 5 !S".

Of course I could claim brilliance rather than bad eyesight.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 02:35:50 PM by kenberg »
Ken

jcreech

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2020, 04:25:14 PM »
Jerry Clerkin (represented US in World Championship and won some NABCs):  I knew Jerry and his brother Denny from my Bloomington IN days.  This was before I became an ACBL life master.  I had a few good hands against Jerry that showed him that I had a good bridge imagination, so he invited me to join his client team for two sectional tournaments.  In Evansville, it was one day swiss team, so I did not get to play with him.  Nonetheless, we played well enough that he invited us to play the next weekend in Indy.

The next weekend was a two-day swiss team in Indianapolis.  The original plan was to have Jerry play with the client the first and last sessions, and my partner and I would play with her one session each.  We were doing so well after the first, we stuck with the lineup.  We won the first five matches, losing the last of the day, so we continued one more match the next day.  That was another loss, so we switched to me playing with Jerry. 

We lost our third straight when I did not recognize this situation properly.  The auction went 2 S - 4 !H - P - ?, and I had the !S A, a good fit for partner's hearts and a good hand.  I thought this was Jerry treating me like a client - THIS is where I want to play.  While he played the hand, he explained his bid, how I should have responded, and that he would have driven to the grand if I had cue bid.  But he also said he understood my perspective, having only seen him playing with clients, but wanted to assure me that he would treat me as a partner.  This was a great lesson for someone with only about 50 master points.

I think we won the rest of the way, but in a W/L format, it is hard to win the event with 3 losses.

The only other strong memory of the event had to do with the second loss.  My partner and I were playing against one of the strongest pairs in central Indiana, and were having  near perfect set.  The only flaw was when I did not try for a grand slam that was biddable and on.  That hand turned out to be the only push board, but even though we recognized that we were having a great set, about board 6 of 9, we both looked at each other, looked at the seat that had made all of the N-S decisions, and then looked to the other table.  That was the seat the client was sitting in; and we realized that it did not matter how well we played, we were unlikely to win.  Jerry was nice enough to say that we played great and (tongue-in-cheek) apologized for sitting in the wrong seat.

This event was also my first exposure to cheating.  It was a peeking situation, but it also involved a player obviously leaning to see into the hand of the client - a woman who did not aggressively protect her hand from being viewed.  Jerry came back to the table and said he thought about asking the director for a level; he wanted to find out why the one player's chair had such a pronounced tilt.
A stairway to nowhere is better than no stairway at all.  -Kehlog Albran

tjtoo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2020, 06:09:52 PM »
Great story — and congratulations.   Are you going to attend again this year?   If so,  please   Say ‘hello’ to Stefan Skorchev (event organizer) for me!    Joan