Author Topic: Bid this  (Read 1935 times)

wackojack

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
Bid this
« on: February 09, 2020, 02:28:20 PM »
At white, you have:
 !S AJ87542
 !H 9
 !D KQ7
 !C 104
LHO passes and partner opens 1 !H, you respond 1 !S, partner rebids 3 !C.  This I take as game forcing and so I rebid 3  !S taking it slowly in the game forcing situation.  Partner now raises to 4  !S. I still have lots of unadvertised strength and it seemed that there was no alternative to Blackwood 4N.  (comments?) Partner responded 5 !D showing 3 keycards. 
1 !H   1 !S
3 !C    3 !S
4 !S   4NT
!D  ?

Would you now go straight to 6 !S?  Or try 5 !H which I believe is a trump Queen ask?  If partner denies the Q !S and just bids 5 !S would you pass or continue to 6  !S? I went on to 6  !S on the basis that if partner had a doubleton spade without the queen, the slam would still be slightly better than evens and partner might even have 3 spades. 

Partner's hand was disappointing:

!S K3
 !H AK764
 !D A8
 !C QJ96

The 4  !D was led but I still went off when RHO had  !S Q109 and I went with the odds and played for the drop. 

I appreciate that with a good 17 a rebid of 2  !C can sometimes result in a missed game.  Nevertheless I believe that a rebid of 2NT (18-19) fits the bill much better.  I do notice that a 5422 hand does seem to draw partners into showing their 2nd suit.  Now:
1 !H   1 !S
2NT    ?

Am I too good for 4 !S, and would 3 !S be a sign off?  What would 3  !C be taken as?  A Wolf sign-off?  (3 !C is a relay to 3  !D and then 3 !S is a sign-off)  Then 3  !S would be forcing.  So we get to;
1 !H   1 !S
2NT    3 !S
?
Surely opener must next make the courtesy cue bid of 4  !D.  Now if you play that this bid denies 1st or 2nd round control in clubs then we sign off in 4  !S safely. 

What if you are not playing the Wolff sign-off.  What would be sensible?

jcreech

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
Re: Bid this
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2020, 03:55:10 PM »
Once partner jump shifts, it is hard to stay out of this slam.  When I played it, partner only bid 2 !C, so I was able to jump to 3 !S as an invitation.  Partner accepted, but did not go overboard, so I got to play it in game.  My opps also did not lead clubs, so I was able to shag one early, but was disappointed in the spade layout as well. 

At least I didn't have your slam making to sour the result - which was dismal given that you can't make five and some should have been there going down with you, but someone foolishly left in a double of 2 !S to help keep the slightly under bid spade games from getting too large of a score.
A stairway to nowhere is better than no stairway at all.  -Kehlog Albran

Masse24

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2020, 01:45:36 AM »
It's not worth a jump-shift.

I would choose to rebid 2 !C, and it would be my preference, but I am not married to it. Then, an invitational jump to 3 !S is also correct (as Jim opted for).

I think rebidding 2NT is also fine.

With the auction as it went (and having the luxury of seeing both hands), after partner bid 4 !S, maybe 5 !D instead of 4NT? Clearly this denies a !C control, so partner, missing a !C control as well, would sign off in 5 !S. Small consolation since you would likely still play the trump suit as you did.

[Added] In the auction as it went, you are already in a GF, so after your 3 !S rebid, what would 4 !D be by your partner? Surely it agrees spades? Does it show two? Three? A control? What, then, does the failure to bid 4 !D (instead just bidding game with 4 !S) indicate? I dunno. Just throwing it out there for discussion.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 02:05:48 AM by Masse24 »
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

wackojack

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2020, 06:27:23 PM »
It's not worth a jump-shift.

I would choose to rebid 2 !C, and it would be my preference, but I am not married to it. Then, an invitational jump to 3 !S is also correct (as Jim opted for).

I think rebidding 2NT is also fine.

With the auction as it went (and having the luxury of seeing both hands), after partner bid 4 !S, maybe 5 !D instead of 4NT? Clearly this denies a !C control, so partner, missing a !C control as well, would sign off in 5 !S. Small consolation since you would likely still play the trump suit as you did.

[Added] In the auction as it went, you are already in a GF, so after your 3 !S rebid, what would 4 !D be by your partner? Surely it agrees spades? Does it show two? Three? A control? What,
then, does the failure to bid 4 !D (instead just bidding game with 4 !S) indicate? I dunno. Just throwing it out there for discussion.
Yes 3 !D cannot be a natural 4 card suit showing 0544 distribution because we cannot be looking for a 4-4  !D fit since I could have bid 4  !D myself.  OR COULD IT?  Give partner 20HCP with 0544 distribution and what can she otherwise bid? 

Any comments about the Wolff sign-off after a 1 !H -1 !S-2NT auction?  Does this give you anything better than 3 !C check-back?  Unfortunately it gives room for completely opposite interpretation.  Playing Wolff 2NT -3 !S is forcing and could be a slam try.  Not playing Wolff 2NT-3 !S I assume is not forcing because if you want to force you go through 3 !C check-back.

What is most common interpretation of 3  !C in the USA after 1 !H -1 !S - 2NT?   
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 06:30:25 PM by wackojack »

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2020, 08:32:46 PM »
I think there is something to be said for playing that after  1 !H - 1 !S - 2NT all bids are natural and forcing. This is especially true if1 !H - 2 !S is a weak jump shift since then it is not all that likely that after 1 !H - 1 !S - 2NT you will want to sign off in 3 !S. After 1 !H - 1 !S - 2NT it is reasonably possible that you belong in 5m or 6m and having 3 m as natural and forcing can help figure this out.

For example, suppose opener has the shape he has in this example, 2=5=2=4. Responder might be 4=1=3=5, with too little strength to bid 2 !C over 1 !H. Bidding 3 !C over 2NT sounds good.

But you asked what is common and I doubt that natural is common. 
Probably considered weird.
I assume NMF when I play.
Ken