Author Topic: For those (like me) with a weird sense of humor.  (Read 1990 times)

kenberg

• View Profile
For those (like me) with a weird sense of humor.
« on: February 01, 2020, 07:02:49 PM »
AKT8763
J75
Q3

Everyone vul, Rho opened 1 !H, I overcalled 1 !S, Lho bid 5 !H, partner passed, Rho bid 6 !H, I pass, partner doubled, passed out

1 !H   1 !S   5 !H   Pass
6 !H   Pass   Pass    X
Pass   Pass   Pass

Your lead?

I did not ask the opponents what their bids meant! I presumed the auction was undiscussed. Indeed, as I led and dummy was being tabled declarer announced to her partner that she had no idea what he was doing. And I am far from sure what to make of the double, even if it asks for an unusual lead.

If you choose correctly, you will hold them to 6. If you choose wrong, they make 7. So the lead does not matter for the matchpoint score.

It's a lazy day, time for a bit of fun.

Ken

jcreech

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
Re: For those (like me) with a weird sense of humor.
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2020, 08:16:49 PM »
I would take the 5H call to be a request for a 1st or 2nd round control of spades.

I would take the X to be a Lightner double asking me to make an unusual lead.

What would constitute an unusual lead with this hand?  God only knows.  Typically, it would be my longest suit other than one that I bid (the one that I bid is the usual/expected lead) or dummy's first bid suit.  I don't see much difference between Jxx and Qx on that score.

In sum, I think that leading a top spade will hold the contract to twelve tricks, but I will lead a diamond to follow partner's request so that whilst taking a zero on the board, I can win the post-mortem.

BTW - I would be tempted to pull the double to 6S as being my best chance to avoid the bottom.  It may not work, but I really do not think anything should work.  The main reason why I pass is for partnership trust.
A stairway to nowhere is better than no stairway at all.  -Kehlog Albran

Masse24

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2020, 09:55:49 PM »
I'll go with everything Jim wrote. But I lead the !C Q (for no particular reason).

As far as your "weird" sense of humor, Ken, was it because the double asked you to lead partner's void--which just happens to be the trump suit?  :o
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

jcreech

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2020, 10:04:11 PM »
Certainly an UNUSUAL lead, Todd!

But I think you are right about the trump void being the basis for the humor - lol.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 10:09:49 PM by jcreech »
A stairway to nowhere is better than no stairway at all.  -Kehlog Albran

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2020, 12:46:14 AM »
The humor:
We study squeezes, coups, etc.. I practical play it is often something very different.
Details:
The board was played 9 times, one other pair got to 6 !H, undoubled, making 7. So, if partner had not doubled and if I would have founds a club lead (partner has the A, declarer the K) then we beat one pair. If partner does not double and I lead something other than a club, we tie one pair, lose to the others. If we sac in 6 !S it goes for 800 (down 3 vul) we beating  the one pair in the vul slam. Now of course beating one pair is better than beating no pairs, but, well, but I think this is a fairly common situation in bridge.

Lho's cards are
!S void
!H 7652
!D AKQT($#
!C J7

Declarer has a six card heart suit headed by the AKQ so once she gets the lead she has more tricks than she knows what to do with.

Q J 9 5
                                 J 4
                                 6 2
                                 A 9 8 6 2

void                                                   4 2
 7 6 5 2                                               A K Q 10 8 3
 A K Q 10 9 4 3                                    8
 J 7                                                     K 10 5 4                                             

A K 10 8 7 6 3
                              J 7 5
                              Q 3

Looking more closely, I see that we in fact got 9% on this board. There were two sections, and I guess they scored across the sections. In the other section there was also a 6 !H X making 7, and there was a 5 !H XX making 7, hence our positive score.

I enjoy reviewing boards that I have played to see where I might have done better.  On this one, I absolve myself. In chess, we are theoretically in complete control, play better and win. In bridge odd things happen. It's a feature of bridge that I like.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 12:50:00 AM by kenberg »
Ken