Author Topic: 2020 March - MASTER SOLVERS CLUB  (Read 14284 times)

kenberg

• View Profile
Re: 2020 March - MASTER SOLVERS CLUB
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2020, 10:20:57 PM »

Well, ready or not, here I come.

SOLVER: Kenneth Berg
        Sykesville MD
        U.S.A.

Your Solutions for the March 2020 Contest
-------------------
PROBLEM A: 3 Clubs
PROBLEM B: 3 Notrump
PROBLEM C: 2 Clubs
PROBLEM D: 2 Clubs
PROBLEM E: 1 Spade
PROBLEM F: 4 Notrump
PROBLEM G: (b6)
PROBLEM H: Heart 6
Ken

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2020, 01:28:33 AM »
Submitted answers--with a few comments . . .

SOLUTIONS FOR:
Todd Holes
Glen Ellyn IL
U.S.A.

PROBLEM A: 2 Spades
Lead directing (possibly), yet competing for the partscore. I intend to take the push to 4 !D. Double, though, intrigues me--showing four spades and a place to retreat to—obviously diamonds. I’m not totally sure of that, so opt for the crystal clear 2 !S. My second choice is 3 !D.

PROBLEM B: 3 Notrump
I like this gadget. Used properly, in conjunction with picture bids and last train, it makes sorting out extras and slam viability more precise. This one feels like a “what else?” choice to me.

The least lie. One spade looks interesting, but last month’s “cutesy” bid of a three card major has used up my supply of “cutesy” bids for a while. I’m sure there will be a few panelists who choose one spade, but two clubs should receive more votes, and it’s certainly what I would bid at the table. One Notrump also possible, and is my second choice.

A binary choice again? A bit strong for 1NT, and the single spade stopper is whispering, “something else—not no trump.” So 2 !C it is.

PROBLEM E: 1 Notrump
A binary choice (although I suppose double is also viable). For me, it’s either 1!S or 1NT. While 1NT immediately limits our hand to a specific range, it fails to tell partner of our holding in the spade suit. One spade has the obvious flaw of a less than robust suit (do I want a !S lead?). 
This was very, very close for me. I wonder if the panel will have similar difficulty?

PROBLEM F: 4 Notrump
4NT. I’d like another King. It’s Matchpoints, so who knows. Pass could be right.
 4 !S in a Moysian is possible, and I’m sure there will be a few panel votes for game a level lower. But a 3-3 “fit,” while not likely, is a possibility. And 3-3 play poorly at the four level.

My first instinct was the “bid what I have” 1 !D, followed by a descriptive jump to 3NT (long solid diamonds). Were this MPs, a prosaic 2NT open would be fine. But it’s IMPs. I want to find the slam—in whatever strain—if it’s there. The descriptive jump to 3NT will help partner assess our chances. It’s risky: Marilyn nailed it when she commented that it screams for a club lead. Crossing my fingers for some luck. Basically, the upside of this risk outweighs the downside.
I think a couple of the alternatives are interesting:
Opening 1 !D then tossing in a “fake suit” jump shift of 3 !C may steer the opponents away from a club lead. Or not.
A fake jump-shift into a three card major, 1 !D – 1 !H – 2 !S, attempting to right-side 3NT (if partner had a club stop) is also interesting. This is actually my second choice.
Tough problem.

PROBLEM H: Diamond 10
Partner has very little. With the opps playing Reverse Smolen, partner has either one or, very rarely, two hearts. If I lead a heart, I need partner to have the A, K, or T.  Is there a reason to give a rule-of-eleven count on my heart suit by leading the six? No, so I would opt for the deuce.
But today I’m leading something else. I worry the heart lead gives away the suit, so I’m hoping to hit gold with a diamond lead. I choose the ten—beginning the unblock—and hope I am finding partner’s five card minor. The diamond King is also a possibility.
(I hate lead problems!)
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

drac

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2020, 12:44:13 PM »
SOLUTIONS FOR:
Wladislaws Dragwlya
Castrum Sex
Romania

PROBLEM A: Pass
PROBLEM B: 4 Hearts
PROBLEM E: 1 Notrump
PROBLEM F: 4 Spades
PROBLEM H: Heart 6

Curls77

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2020, 02:17:36 PM »
9:15 am eastenrn, running!

PROBLEM A: 3C
PROBLEM B: 3N
PROBLEM C: 2C
PROBLEM D: 2C
PROBLEM E: 1S
PROBLEM F: 4N
PROBLEM G: b6
PROBLEM H: h6

To be honest on G I'd opt for b3 answer, but I cheated and looked at evaluator, K&R (AJT K9 AKQJT7 T3) = 21.60, wow! If that's true value of this hand, then I suppose it should be open 2N, but it's something I'd never dare lol

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2020, 02:17:55 PM »
I was glad to see that, on E,  Todd found it a close call as to bidding 1NT or 1 !S. So did I. I see that everyone, or close to everyone, chose 1NT. [Curls also went with 1 !S I now see]

A couple of reasons:
1. My major is spades, not hearts. If the auction does not die out at the one level, we might want to contest their 2 !H contract with 2 !S.
2. Often NT plays better when a lot of the values are in lesser honors, and suit contracts play better when the honors are aces and kings.

But yes, I hardly want a spade lead and perhaps that should settle the issue for 1NT. But I went with 1 !S. We will see what the panel thinks.
Ken

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2020, 03:09:49 PM »
I was glad to see that, on E,  Todd found it a close call as to bidding 1NT or 1 !S. So did I. I see that everyone, or close to everyone, chose 1NT. [Curls also went with 1 !S I now see]

A couple of reasons:
1. My major is spades, not hearts. If the auction does not die out at the one level, we might want to contest their 2 !H contract with 2 !S.
2. Often NT plays better when a lot of the values are in lesser honors, and suit contracts play better when the honors are aces and kings.

But yes, I hardly want a spade lead and perhaps that should settle the issue for 1NT. But I went with 1 !S. We will see what the panel thinks.

I truly thought it a coin flip. Maybe the panel will think differently.

One thought about overcalling 1 !S was that I could later double, if needed, to show both a five-card spade suit as well as the strength to compete further.

We'll know soon.
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2020, 03:26:34 PM »
I really thought someone would double.  It isn't that hard to think of the Txxxx as a four bagger - I used to do that all the time with a former partner - then the shape feels more right for a double.  In my mind, 1NT, 1 !S, and Dbl are the three choices, in that order.  All are reasonable choices, the rest is partnership agreements and personal valuations.
A stairway to nowhere is better than no stairway at all.  -Kehlog Albran

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2020, 04:57:16 PM »
MASSIVE scores on the Honor Roll, here: https://www.bridgeworld.com/indexphp.php?page=/pages/msc/mschonorrollforlastmonth.html

It took a 750 to make the MSC Honor Roll, a huge number.

Nice job Marilyn scoring a 740. No bad guesses!  ;D

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2020, 05:09:32 PM »
PROBLEM A: 3 Clubs                   0
PROBLEM B: 3 Notrump           100
PROBLEM C: 2 Clubs                100
PROBLEM D: 2 Clubs                100
PROBLEM E: 1 Spade                  90
PROBLEM F: 4 Notrump            100
PROBLEM G: (b6)                       70
PROBLEM H: Heart 6                   90

I expected E, G, or H might score badly, but they did ok sort of. I did not expect A to score badly.  I did consider the X, scoring 80. Shows spades and diamonds I suppose, but I thought I needed five spades for that. Maybe double, intending to follow with 3 !D to show a not so standard snapdragon. Maybe so.
And I thought 2 !S would be spades without diamond support.  Live and learn.
But 3 !C seemed reasonable enough. To me.  0 panel votes and a score of 0.
Ken

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2020, 05:24:17 PM »
Congratulations to MarilynLi, this month's winner; she just missed having enough points for the BW Honor Roll by 10 points.

NAMEBW-SCORERANKMPs
MarilynLi     740   1   20
Masse24     680   2   15
BabsG     660   3   10
Blubayou     660   3   10
JCreech     660   3   20
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Also participating and receiving 1 Monster Point are (alphabetically): Curls77, DickHy, DrAculea, GG_Bridge, Hoki, KenBerg, WackoJack and one anonymous participant.  JCreech also received bonus points for matching 75% or more with declared partner KenBerg.

We had a nice turnout! Hopefully we can continue to build on this in the coming months!

Commentary is still welcome for this set.  :) There were some interesting problems, solutions, and choices by our members.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 02:57:32 AM by jcreech »

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2020, 05:43:58 PM »
Some of the scores were interesting. 

I was shocked that 3 !C on Problem A was a zero, and that result caught nearly all participants.

I was also stunned that on Problem G that 2NT received 100.  I thought the entire panel would view the hand as being too good for that bid, but was prepared for any number of other choices to outscore mine.  I was more prepared for 2NT to get a zero than for 3 !C on Problem A to get a zero.

I will be very interested to see what the reasoning was for the lead problem.  I can understand a mild difference between the two low hearts, but the only reason I can think of for the 2 scoring higher than the 6 is it being deceptive when dummy also has four.  Also the Q received almost no points; the best reason I can think of is the panel expects the declaring side to have the 10 and the lead pickles the suit.

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2020, 05:50:57 PM »
The lead problem: If Rho has three hearts then partner has a stiff. If it's a stiff T, or even worse the stiff K, you do not want to lead the Q.
Ken

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2020, 07:30:15 PM »
I get the panel's preference for the !H deuce over the !H six. It would have been my second choice. I assume my reasons were in line with the panel's. But I am perplexed by the scoring for the diamond leads. I thought I was being so clever with my unblock of the !D T, attempting to hit my partner's suit. They scored the !D 4 a 70, but only 10 for the !D 10? Is no once concerned about blocking the suit? Apparently not. Sigh . . .

Good job to Blu, by the way, for understanding this and choosing the winning lead. (Though the chances of this making any difference are almost nil).

blubayou

• IACAdmins
  • lifelong director [1977-2010] and haunter of ACBL
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2020, 02:34:01 AM »
lead problem  :    hearts is either the mother-lode  or it isnt  --KEEP your big ones   even the six!   deception has no roll in this problem     

I LOST my deuce  [actually the three]  to enemy's  54 on 4th round  with this exact holding in BBO  a week after the msc  set was posted!   

should i smell "RAT"  inBBO dealing???
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 02:37:35 AM by blubayou »
often it is better to beg forgiveness, than ask permission

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2020, 02:56:50 AM »
A late entrant to MSC, and a victim of the infamous spam folder routing.  Good to see your entry GG_Bridge.  I have added your name to this month's participants.

SOLVER: Charlene Gallaty
        Bedford TX
        U.S.A.

Your Solutions for the March 2020 Contest
-------------------
PROBLEM A: 2 Spades
PROBLEM B: 4 Diamonds
PROBLEM C: 2 Diamonds
PROBLEM E: Double
PROBLEM F: 5 Clubs
PROBLEM G: (a)