Author Topic: A New Year's hand  (Read 1862 times)

kenberg

• View Profile
A New Year's hand
« on: January 03, 2020, 04:14:37 PM »
I will first give you just one of the four hands:

♠AK862
♥A
♦T8432
♣AK

Your partner deals and opens 1NT (15-17, could have a five card major)  Rho passes.
It's matchpoints, no one vul.

What's the plan, Stan?

Assuming you start with 2 !H, partner bids 2 !S. With four spades and a 17 count or maybe a good 16 he would have bid 3 !S but on all other hands he would just bid 2 !S.

If you bid 3 !D he will bid 4 !D.

So what's the call over 2 !S? And so on.

Ok, now I give you both hands:

♠QJ
♥KJ76
♦AK97
♣Q75

♠AK862
♥A
♦T8432
♣AK

this is matchpoints. Thanks to that !S QJ it is virtually certain that there are 12 tricks in NT.
How do you envision the auction going?

There is a slightly peculiar feature to this hand. 13 tricks are not all that likely, but if you want the best shot for 13, you want to play in your 5-2 spade suit, not in NT or in your 5-4  diamond suit.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 04:27:21 PM by kenberg »
Ken

jcreech

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
Re: A New Year's hand
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2020, 04:59:24 PM »
I see the auction going:
1NT   - 2 !H
2 !S   - 3 !D
3 !H   - 4NT (3!H agrees to !D, and shows A or K !H)
5 !H   - 6NT (2 keycards w/o Q)

I count 33-35 HCPs with two potential suits as sources of tricks, partner may also have a source of tricks.  The !H cue bid plus all of the key cards make me willing to try NT over !D.  I have a potential double stop in all suits, and if partner does not have the !C K, then those points my be elsewhere to bolster enough total tricks.  I do not envision going for the grand in !S under any circumstances without a bidding breakdown.
A stairway to nowhere is better than no stairway at all.  -Kehlog Albran

Masse24

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2020, 05:09:40 PM »
I see the auction going:
1NT   - 2 !H
2 !S   - 3 !D
3 !H   - 4NT (3!H agrees to !D, and shows A or K !H)
5 !H   - 6NT (2 keycards w/o Q)

I count 33-35 HCPs with two potential suits as sources of tricks, partner may also have a source of tricks.  The !H cue bid plus all of the key cards make me willing to try NT over !D.  I have a potential double stop in all suits, and if partner does not have the !C K, then those points my be elsewhere to bolster enough total tricks.  I do not envision going for the grand in !S under any circumstances without a bidding breakdown.

This. Including all the comments.

I do not have the tools to find a grand.
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2020, 09:26:48 PM »
I think you need tools that look in the opponent's hands to find a grand. Diamonds are 3-1 so you do not want to be in 6 !D.  I think after the transfer the 3 !D is simply to see if partner bids 3 !S.

I thought it an amusing hand. After 3 !D the 3 !D bid we find out about the diamond fit and then the trick is to be in 6MT rather than 6 !D. We were in 6 !S making 7, but the !H Q is doubleton so it makes 13 tricks in NT also. The transportation issues are perhaps a little tricky.
Ken