Author Topic: A Christmas problem  (Read 4846 times)

kenberg

• View Profile
Re: A Christmas problem
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2019, 05:36:31 PM »
As I recall, somewhere in some book Mike Lawrence said that he thought the two level advance should be forcing but he was resigned to not having people agree with him. Something like that.
Ken

wackojack

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2019, 11:41:27 AM »
Thanks for that research Todd.  I have been trawling through old bridge books and EBU literature on responses to an overcall. 

Competitive bidding; (1980) by jeremy Flint says non forcing.
Acol in Competition; (1980) by Eric Crowhurst says "This is a controversial area." and comes down as favouring  "constructive but non-forcing"
These publications also opine that an overcall should have a maximum 15HCP.  Very different from up to 18 which current thinking.   
Better Bidding by Bernard Magee (current) aimed at relative beginners says "you should only change the suit on a weak hand if there is a five-card difference in
your holding in the two suits, i.e. if you have a singleton in your partner’s suit and a six-card suit of your own – and even then your suit should be strong." 

OTOH.  Very well known professional (Canadian?) bridge teacher Bob Mcfee says:  "So - it has gone: (1  !C) - us 1  !H - (pass) - now partner may bid as follows:
!S  =  Natural, and one-round force.
1NT =  8-11 HCP, and a club stopper.
!C  =  Cue-bid in support of hearts - 3-card trump support only! - 10+ HCP,
!H  = Natural raise, approx 7-9 HCP, can be 3-4 trump.

So it seems I was wrong that  "new suit forcing" was almost universal this side of the Atlantic.  More like opinions are divided. 

Back to the controversial auction.  You say  "2 !C is the call. Not 1 !S".  I cannot agree.  The 2  !C cue agreeing diamonds 10+HCP.  In the earlier posts I was not interested in what my partner should have bid, but what I should have bid.  So now all the dust has cleared.  What would have been good bidding?  I suggest:
 !S K64      !S AQ92,
 !H 4          !H 9532
 !D AJ9754 !D KQ3
 !C A82      !C 75.

!C -(1  !D)-p - (2   !D) (i)
dbl? - (3  !H) (ii) -p - (3  !S) (iii)
p - (5  !D) (iv) all pass 

(i) Natural raise 7-9HCP (not strong enough for 2  !C cue bid)
(ii) Splinter.  A bit ambitious if you play this as a game force but I think the only way to get to game.
(iii) Sees no wasted  !H values in partner's hand and goes for a courtesy cue bid
(iv) Said everything

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2019, 05:50:01 PM »
Science can only take us so far. For example:

!S K64        !S AQ9
 !H 4            !H 9532
 !D AJ9754   !D KQ3
 !C A82        !C 753

Not that much different, but you are down 1 in 5 !D. And there are many variants. I recall a team game long ago where the opponents opened the bidding and we got to 6 !S making 7. My excitable partner was very concerned that we did not bid the grand. I took the view that after the opponents open the bidding if we get to small slam in the right strain and make it we should see this as just fine.

Now back to the actual hand:

!S K64        !S AQ92,
 !H 4            !H 9532
 !D AJ9754   !D KQ3
 !C A82        !C 75

1 !C - 1 !D - Pass - ?
2 !C sounds fine to me. If asked by opponents to explain 2 !C I say that it is either good values with !D support or else a very good hand that we will hear more about later. Almost always it is with !D support. I suppose overcaller could now bid 3 !C, a control, just in case partner wants to bid 3NT.  But we probably play this in diamonds. Some number of !D. Probably 5 !D.

It would be good to accumulate some examples. Bidding games after the opponents open the bidding is often a a matter of optimism or pessimism.

Added for amusement:

With the slightly revised hand above

!S K64        !S AQ9
 !H 4            !H 9532
 !D AJ9754   !D KQ3
 !C A82        !C 753

5 !D is now doomed. However 3NT probably makes. Just who has the five card heart suit that they didn't bid? Probably no one.So they take their hearts and we claim.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 06:14:41 PM by kenberg »
Ken

wackojack

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2019, 09:16:06 PM »
Sorry I can't count.  Yes 2!c is fine.