Author Topic: 2020 February - MASTER SOLVERS CLUB  (Read 14020 times)

kenberg

• View Profile
Re: 2020 February - MASTER SOLVERS CLUB
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2020, 06:26:59 PM »

PROBLEM A: 3 Clubs
This seems reasonable. I suppose partner has long hearts and too little strength to do otherwise. Since, after 1M, BWS says " a jump-shift to three of an underranking suit is invitational;" I suppose he does not have much. Still, 3C seems right.

I think maybe you misunderstand this jump-shift reference? I believe they are referring to a Bergenesque sequence? Something like:

1 !H - (P) - 3 !C or
1 !S - (P) - 3 !D

Or I am misunderstanding your post.

No, you understand my post. Perhaps I am misunderstanding the BWS notes but I don't think so.
Here is what I get out of their statement: If we were not playing 2/1 then the auction 1S-2H-2S-3H would be passable.  In Sayc, for example, the 2H promises another bid (unless opener bids game) but it is not game forcing. So, if responder has maybe an 11 count and six hearts, he bids 2H and then a passable 3H.  Playing 2/1, that option is not available since 1S-2H-2S-3H is still forcing.  Thus, with 11 points and six hearts, the auction goes 1S-3H, passable.

This agreement can be useful. In the case at hand, I have a stiff heart so there is a fair chance partner  has six. He might not, but he very well could. If he does, then he lacked the strength to bid the invitational 3H on the first round.

I am pretty sure that BWS does not include Bergen raises. Not positive, but pretty sure. And even pairs who do play Bergen don't include 1S-3H as some sort of spade raise as far as I know.

So: I am thinking that after 1S -1NT I can assume that partner might have a five card heart suit with a 12 count, and he might have a six card suit with as much as a bad 10 count, but he will not have a 6 card suit with an 11 count. With that, he would have bid 3H, not 1NT (unless he also has three spades and was starting a three card invitational raise to 3S).

At any rate, my concern on the auction is that partner might have long hearts, not a great holding opposite my hand, so I was thinking thorugh just what sort of long heart holding he might have.

And I believe BWS plays 1M-3m in the same way. Long m, invitational values.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 06:31:25 PM by kenberg »
Ken

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2020, 06:45:33 PM »
This agreement can be useful. In the case at hand, I have a stiff heart so there is a fair chance partner  has six. He might not, but he very well could. If he does, then he lacked the strength to bid the invitational 3H on the first round.

I am pretty sure that BWS does not include Bergen raises. Not positive, but pretty sure. And even pairs who do play Bergen don't include 1S-3H as some sort of spade raise as far as I know.

And I believe BWS plays 1M-3m in the same way. Long m, invitational values.

I see. I was not reading into it what you did not say, or more specifically what was not bid --- 3 !H:-[
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2020, 07:36:04 PM »
Yes. What I said made sense to me, but then I can (sometimes) read my mind!
Ken

msphola

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2020, 09:39:08 PM »
Feb. Master Solvers Club.   Not confident of any of my answers....
A. 4C
B. 2nt
C a3
D. 2c
E. 2H
F. 2H
G. 3C
H. H9

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2020, 01:30:33 AM »
SOLUTIONS FOR:
Todd Holes
Glen Ellyn IL
U.S.A.

PROBLEM B: 1 Spade
PROBLEM C: (a3)
PROBLEM D: 2 Clubs
PROBLEM E: 2 Hearts
PROBLEM F: 2 Notrump
PROBLEM G: 3 Clubs
PROBLEM H: Spade 10

Very hard. Again.

I feel good about one. Not so good about the other seven. Oh oh.
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

drac

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2020, 10:37:51 AM »
Wladislaus Dragwlya
Castrum Sex
Romania

PROBLEM B: 3 Notrump
PROBLEM C: (a3)
PROBLEM D: 2 Clubs
PROBLEM E: 2 Hearts
PROBLEM F: 2 Hearts
PROBLEM G: Double
PROBLEM H: Spade 10

blubayou

• IACAdmins
  • lifelong director [1977-2010] and haunter of ACBL
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2020, 04:21:45 PM »
A hearty welom  to our forum Marylin Li!   your thoughts are beauties.  Especially my hat is off to you for meaking the RIGHT bid  on problem B,  even though we will score 10 or 20 for it:( because a couple of the panelist will mention it, but choose 3D anyway:(
  <quote>

2S.  It is a jump reverse, also lying about S suit, but I feel the lie can be expected more than 1S. I tend to make a lying jump reverse in this situation. And more importantly, it shows my strength. I go with this bid."
also in awe of your leaving the trap double of one spade  on # F   ("Two to HIT; Four to SIT?).  Bold indeed,  and I wish your pair godspeed on your way to +500  or the matchpoint equivalent:):)
often it is better to beg forgiveness, than ask permission

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2020, 06:09:43 PM »
Well done DrAculea who made The Bridge World MSC Honor Roll this month!

NAMEBW-SCORERANKMPs
DrAculea     690   1   30
Jcreech     660   2   15
BabsG     620   3   10
MarilynLi     620   3   10
Masse24     620   3   10
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Also participating and receiving 1 Monster Point are (alphabetically): BluBayou, ccr3, Curls77, DickHy, GGbridge, Hoki, KenBerg, MsPhola, WackoJack

We had a great turnout! Hopefully we can build on this in the coming months!

Commentary is still welcome for this set.  :) There were some interesting problems, solutions, and choices by our members.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 12:55:28 AM by jcreech »

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2020, 07:24:43 PM »
Congratulations to DrAculea, you have been a long time contributor and deserved the win and hitting the Honor Roll.

Congratulations also to first time contributor MarilynLi, who tied for third.

To show everyone how close things can be, if I had gone strictly with my initial impressions, I would have had 40 more and hit the Honor Roll myself.  I won't blame anyone for suggesting different answers because in the end it still was my decision, but sometimes first thoughts are the best thoughts.  You can overthink bridge problems, particularly in a contest situation.

I hope to see everyone back for next month, meanwhile, I am anxiously awaiting Todd's summary of this month's MSC.  Too bad we always have to wait for the U.S. Postal Service to catch up.
A stairway to nowhere is better than no stairway at all.  -Kehlog Albran

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2020, 02:52:12 AM »
For me, there is usually one problem that sticks out as a "What was I thinking?" once the answers are provided.

Mine this month is problem B, where in a fit of I don't know what, I chose to be "cutesy" with a non-forcing rebid of 1 !S . It was a lame attempt to "outsmart" the smart guys on the MSC panel. In that last two years of participating in the MSC I've pulled a cutesy bid three times. All ended miserably.

My belated New Year's resolution is . . . no more cutesy for me!  ;)

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2020, 01:18:44 PM »
I also bid 1 !S and I have not yet changed my mind. Do I really like a  game forcing bid on A43 more than a non-forcing bid on AK9? The 1 !S is non-forcing but one of those seldom passed bids where I feel that anytime it is passed I might very well be happy that I only need 7 tricks.

It is not unusual for me to be stubborn.
Ken

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2020, 02:26:09 PM »
I too ended up in the 1 !S camp.

Problem B:  3 !D  I hate this sort of holding, do not want to rebid 2NT with a stiff in partner’s suit, afraid that we are missing a laydown 3NT if I rebid 3 !D and it goes floating away because partner did not have the spades covered and did not have enough heart length to rebid.  Particularly with aces and kings, I feel this is too rich for a 3 !D, but not anxious to jump shift into a 3-card suit.  I feel stuck.

On B, I always felt that 3 !D was too weak of an action, and while I know 1 !S is nonforcing, it gives me the best chance of getting to the right spot.  If partner has four and a weak hand, I am still happy to play this as a Moysian (taking one ruff in my hand, but unless partner is QJTx, I really don't want to do more.  But if NT is right, partner can bid and probably right-side the contract, and I probably will get a chance to show my strength and diamond length.

This is the problem that I most want to see the panel's responses.  Surely they are with me that 3 !D is an underbid.  Nonetheless, I can see going with 3 !D as the least lie.  I ended up going with 1 !S because it has the right sort of texture for a Moysian, and became for me the eventual least lie because despite being too rich for 3 !D, it still was not quite good enough for a game force.  Although I would have scored much better without the switch, and at the table I probably would not have taken the time to come up with a 1 !S response, it is the call I would like to think I could have come up with at the table (if this makes sense).

On this problem, regret is akin to being a resultist.  Just as I always want to be in a game needing one of two finesses (even if they both happen to be offside), I prefer to make the call that gives the partnership its best chance to get to the proper level and strain to one that required less thought yet happened to score better.

I feel the same way about Problem H, though the pain of point reduction was not nearly as severe.
A stairway to nowhere is better than no stairway at all.  -Kehlog Albran

blubayou

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2020, 07:23:58 AM »
[problem B, of course]
     To my esteemed senior members  (who outscored me by 150 pts or more anyway , this month):  You cannot  'outsmart the MSC panel!   If your better bid  is too deep for them, and the rejected "no-brainer" bid is chosen by a majority or even a plurality,   the peasants will get the 100,   and you will get 40 or less.  I commend you three for tanking honor roll placements  sticking to the bid you 'love' --  and the new gal who actually bid TWO spades --my homemade system-bid  which 2-3 panelist actually chose(!?!?!?)
     I think we should all  'vote our heart's desire" once a month,   but that is not actually  our job --  it is the 25 panelists' job.
    p,s.  problem D  ....-- AQTx, Jxxx, AQJxx    IS a trap pass,   and we all knew that 2C overcall would get the 100,  but i voted my heart  --trap-pass and lucily got Best of the Also-Rans  70 pts  not the 20  that sometimes comes from being stubborn like this :)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 07:48:38 AM by blubayou »

blubayou

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2020, 11:21:39 PM »
I will move this to MARCH thread when it gets started:)  Have got LOTS of typing  for March,  and need to get started!        MARCH PROBLEM A :
     East hasn't a prayer of having a 2-level free-bid,  so he will pass when raised.   If opener puts him in game when I pass,  and [suprise]  it is makeable,  are we going to save red vs. not?   That's 500  folks.This looks like 9 for each side to me  quite often, so I let sleeping dogs lie,  not even trying to eke out the 1 IMP  for 4 diamonds -100.       ---  PASS now,  and sell out to 3 hearts, also.

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2020, 12:01:07 AM »
February Solutions: Jeff Rubens was the director.

A handful of the panel's comments:

PROBLEM A: 3 !C . A majority. Although there was a handful of both 2 !S and 3 !S bidders (with the more aggressive 3 !S the more popular choice), the descriptive 3 !C was the clear winner. Several who chose something other than 3 !C mentioned the three small in the opponent’s suit as a negative:

•   Curtis Cheek: “Double. Those diamonds scare me.”
•   Ira Chorush: “Double. Obviously I would rather have the red suits reversed.”
•   Jill Meyers: “2 !S. As holding three low diamonds is a huge drawback, I will stay at the two level.”
•   Kleinman: “2 !S. The death holding in diamonds deters me . . . .
•   BluBayou: “2 !S. Not stretching to jump with diamond xxx.”

Rubens nailed it with, “It is true that South is frustrated because he would like to bid both spades and clubs.” Yup.

Choosing the more aggressive path:
•   Phillip Alder: “3 !C. Vulnerable at IMPs, I am pushing for game, despite the obvious diamond danger.”
•   MarilynLi: “3 !C. It shows my shape and strength.”
•   Fleisher & Friesner: “3 !C. Keeps both suits in the picture. Two spades would be too conservative with this much playing strength.”

PROBLEM B: 3 !C . The game-force. A plurality choice (not quite gaining a majority), as MSC problems often are. That’s why they are good problems! Shockingly, not one of our participants chose 3 !C.

Kamil & Sherman nailed it with: “3 !C. Just too strong for 3 !D, which would be somewhat misdirected with the outside controls. Bidding two spades might lead to fighting off partner’s spade continuations forever. A jump in notrump would be way out. The imperfect phony jump-shift is the least of evils.”

Kleinman not unexpectedly took a contrary view with, “Three diamonds. Three clubs might produce a tangled web.”
Michael Rosenberg (who also chose 3 !D) was the lone voice in the wilderness who mentioned 1 !S stating, “I have some positive feeling about one spade.” So I guess Jim, Ken and I were not completely lost!

PROBLEM C: (a3) 1 !C | 2 !H . Another majority, so this was apparently not as difficult as it might be. This was also reflected in the unanimity of our IAC participants, who all voted for this choice.

•   Kitty & Steve Cooper: “We hate distorting our distribution.”
•   Bart Bramley: “Color me old-fashioned. A reverse shows four hearts, longer clubs, and extra values. No, I don’t like having clubs this weak when I reverse, but all other plans misdescribe much worse.”
Similarly . . . 
•   JCreech: “I will not distort my shape.”
•   GG_Bridge: “Partner could still have 4 hearts, and 1NT understates my hand, 2NT overstates.”
•   DickHy: “Seems slightly less bad than the others.”

PROBLEM D: 2 !C . Wow, another majority! Rubens begins with some of his thoughts: “The majority’s choice, two club, risks preempting hearts, but it also preempts spades. The latter might be good if it is partner preempted, but what if it is the opponents? 
Opting not to pass . . .

•   DickHy: “2 !C. Bidding 2C makes N’s life easier defending.”
•   MarilynLi: “2 !C. I feel this is the only option if choose to make a bid.”
•   JCreech: “2 !C. Can’t double, don’t want to treat this as a trap pass, and too strong to ignore.”
•   Boye Brogeland: “2 !C. I am not a big believer in overcalling in a four-card suit with a good hand, and I prefer pass, hoping to be able to make a takeout double of spades, to overcalling one heart.

Of the 2NT bidders, Kleinman chooses to slide the jack of diamonds into his heart suit, thereby completing the 5-5 shape he is promising.

PROBLEM E: 2 !H . Another majority. This boiled down to a binary choice. Either bid the moth-eaten heart suit, a card short of expected length, or pass and hope partner’s diamond suit is not xxx. 

Among the 2 !H bidders:
•   MarilynLi: “2 !H. I don't want to pass risking partner having 3 cards D and I feel with 9 hcp I owe my partner a bid here.”
•   John Strauch: “2 !H. Opener will hold three hearts 41 percent of the time, two hearts 32 percent, one heart 25 percent, no hearts 2 percent.” [I’ll take your word for it, John!] Least of evils.”
•   Kamil and Sherman: “2 !H. Ugh!

In discussing Roger Lee’s dismissal of passing the 2 !D rebid, there was an interesting point made by Jeff Rubens: “Opener makes that [2 !D] rebid on 5=3=3=2 only with a hand too weak to open one notrump and too strong to pass the one-notrump response—a very narrow band of strength.”  True, since in BWS the “forcing notrump” is only semi-forcing.

PROBLEM F: 2 !S. Well done BabsG and BluBayou!
Not a majority. And both Pass and 2NT garnered several votes, with several other choices scoring, but with little support.

•   The Coopers: “2 !S. We bid our spade stopper, show a good hand, and invite partner to do something intelligent. What could go wrong?”
•   BabsG, not known for her brevity, explained her winning choice of 2 !S with, "  ".
•   DickHy, on his way to choosing 2 !H asked, “Just how strong is North’s hand?” This was parroted by Jeff Rubens in explaining the range of Notrump bids, from 3NT to 1NT. Rubens pointed out that, “When there are votes for natural bids of one, two, and three notrump, we can deduce that there is uncertainty about the strength shown by partner . . . . How strong is ‘strong’?” Jim, too, queried, “I’m not sure what BWS considers to be “a strong hand” on this auction, so I will just invite.”

PROBLEM G: Double! Another majority!

•   JCreech: “Dbl  Another bid I am not happy with, but I do have the requisite !H shortness.  If partner does not have a penalty pass, perhaps there will be a cue bid and I will show my spade stop, or enough diamonds that I will not be displeased that I passed.  Double is more flexible than rebidding my clubs, or cue bidding hearts; let’s bring partner into the discussion.”
That sums it up nicely. This was chosen by very few of our IAC participants, with only DrAculea and BluBayou joining Jim. Pretty much echoing those thoughts were:
•   The Coopers: “Double. We hope partner has a heart stack, but if he doesn’t we have plenty of extras. Pard knows we prefer clubs to diamonds, so he shouldn’t go wrong.
•   Fleisher & Friesner: “Double. Strong hand, short in hearts. Partner will not go out of his way to bid diamonds without a lot of them.” (A sentiment offered by sever others.)

PROBLEM H: !H 7. Like most lead problems this one had many answers. Several could work. The !H 9 socred 90, outpacing the !S T since, in combination with the !H 7 there were 13 who chose a heart lead, while only 8 chose a spade. This is logical and I agree with the scoring.

•   Boye Brogeland, who also chose the !H 7 stated, “When the opponents (apparently) have bid comfortably to a slam, and the suits seem to be breaking well for them, I like to lead aggressively.”
•   Kit Woolsey: “Spade Ten. Any lead could cost; this looks safest.”
•   David Berkowitz: “Spade Ten. Looking for safety. At least the spade ten won’t kill partner’s jack-low-low-low.”
My thinking was in line with both Kit and David, so I’ll settle for that.

That’s all folks. Still time to opine----or complain about the MSC panel’s opinions. We welcome the conversation!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 03:41:57 AM by Masse24 »