Author Topic: Creature's Features  (Read 17222 times)

jcreech

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
Re: Creature's Features
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2020, 12:28:07 PM »
Here are my 3/5/2020 hands and notes. 
A stairway to nowhere is better than no stairway at all.  -Kehlog Albran

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2020, 10:58:12 PM »
On that first board you present, 4 !H (or 5 !H at the other table), making 6.  I think there really no way to get to the slam without mirrors. For example, trade the !C 6 in the E hand for the !S 6 in the N hand. It seems 11 tricks i now the best that can be done.

It appears to me that if NS play in !D then double dummy defense holds them to 6 tricks. So in some imaginary world where EW get to 6 !H (for which they would get 1430) and NS take the sac in 7 !D X, EW  could go for 1700. Emphasis on "could".

Ain't happening. Really 680 appears to be a perfectly reasonable result.  :P

Definitely an amusing hand. I can sympathize with the jump to 4 !H. W looks at his hand figures 4 !H is a likely (but not certain) make. Maybe there is a slam but to explore he first has to convince partner that hearts are trump and that they are to play in at least game. Then he has to find a way to ask about the E holding.  He needs E to hold an A. Of course E might hold both minor aces, but even then there would still be the spade problem I can imagine a person just saying "Maybe a slam is there, but just how would I find out?" And so he bids 4 !H.  Not scientific but also not nuts.

Ken

jcreech

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2020, 10:03:46 PM »
Here are the 3/19/2020 hands.

jcreech

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2020, 12:14:07 PM »
Here are the hands from 4/16/2020

jcreech

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2020, 11:15:26 AM »
Attached are the 4/30 hands and commentary.

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2020, 01:48:21 PM »
I played the first four boards (with board numbers 9,10,11,12) so I thought I would say a little.

Easy point: On board 11 you have W overcalling 1 !H instead of N responding 1 !H. The was, I think:
1 !C  -  Pass - 1 !H - X
2 !C -   2 !S - Pass -Pass
3 !C -  3 !S - Pass-  Pass
Pass.

The play was interesting. I held the N cards and of course led the !C 7 going to declarer's A.
Declarer ruffed a !C and then led the !D spot from the table.
Partner went up with the Q. our first trick.
Partner led the stiff !H J, declarer played the 4 and I? Well, I though about it a bit. I am not si sure I made the right choice.
It's a common situation. That J is likely to be stiff, and so, if I take the A and play another we get a ruff.  But after that ruff, declarer will have the !H K in his hand and the !H Q9 on the board. Am I sure I want to do that? If I play low, the trick will be taken by the Q on the board, declarer will have the K7 in hand, I will have the ATxx.
Well, if you think it through, declarer can make the contract whichever I do.  9 tricks but not 10, either way. Or so I think.
Anyway, I took the A, led a the !H 2. Partner ruffed, led a!C, I ruffed with the  6, guaranteeing I get me !S Q. So we got a ruff, the !S Q, the !H A and the !D Q.
Possibly letting the !H J be taken by the Q gives declarer more chances to go wrong. Maybe.

I guess it's true that after my initial !C lead declarer can take ten tricks.

On the second board, labelled 10:
I'm in 4th seat and it starts non my left with 1 !S then pass and 2 !S. I bid 3 !H.  That seems enough to me.  I can see an almost certain 7 tricks and the hand shows little promise of more. If partner can supply three more tricks he might well raise to 4 !H.
There is a convention that could be useful for EW here, the maximal double, but like all conventions you need to be sure when it applies. The original form was, I think, exactly for this situation. The auction begins with 1 something, partner raises to 2 of the same something, and 4th hand come in, bidding 3 of the suit that is  just below the suit that was bid and raised. In this case, the maximal double is invitational to game, bidding 3, in this case 3 !S, is simply competitive. Here, opener could double my 3 !H, inviting game in !S. What should responder do? Well, I think sign off in 3 !S. It's close, and that is reflected in the fact that the 4 !S game comes down to a !D guess. So bid 4 !S and hope partner guesses, or sign off in 3 !S and take the plus. An argument can be made either way.
Playing maximal doubles this way, then they would not have applied if my call had been 3 !D. The 3 !H call   can be used to invite game, so X means X.
Ken

jcreech

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2020, 10:06:23 AM »
Here are the 5/14/2020 hands.

jcreech

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2020, 01:09:10 AM »
Here are the hanfds and discussion from the 5/28/20 session.

Note:  There is an error in the discussion on Bd. 13.  I was going to swap the Q and 10 of hearts so that if a declarer got down to the heart guess, it would work for the drop but not the smother - that was based on my assumption that the only holdings of importance were ones with either 10x offside or Qx in either hand.  I never explained why I thought that Qx was a 2:1 proposition vs. 10x.  That is because I eliminated all unimportant distributions to make the the hand given that I had already tested for a singleton Q or 10 - I considered a double finesse in hearts to be too hard to execute with transportation issues unless I was banking everything on that position, so it was also discarded.  That left the 3-2 splits and only a few relevant.  Because the Qx would work both on and off side, but the 10x would only work if offside and the x's were the same for both, that made it essentially twice as likely to be Qx than 10x.

The play that actually works is the lower percentage smother the 10 to finesse the Q.

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2020, 12:54:24 PM »
I was S for the first 4 boards so I will comment on this and that.

Let's get the embarrassment out of the way first.  On the 4th board, board 12, we are defending 3NT and can take the first 5 spades.  I led the K, partner (Pat) played the deuce, and I forgot that Pat plays udca so I shifted. Oops!
So, not for the first time, the moral of the story is to have your agreements straight. I had previously agreed to play udca, I just forgot.

Ok, on to happier results, such as the first board, board 9. Partner opened 1 !S, Rho overcalled 2 !H, I made a negative double with my minors. Pat rebid her spades, Rho bid 3 !H, I passed (a bit pessimistic maybe) Pat bid 3 !S and I passed again. I was worried that we might have game but, if I wanted to try for game I should have done it over 3 !H. Having passed, I need to give partner space to bid 3 !S.
Jim commented that he had not expected the bidding to stay that low. True, but 3 !S is a great contract. Off 1, not doubled, surely they take at least 10 tricks in hearts and, if 4 !H is played double dummy, it seems hard to stop then from taking 12. If I lead a !S against their heart contract that establishes the K, a small spade can be ruffed. Now both hearts and clubs can be picked up w/o loss. I did say double dummy but after I have advertised the minors declarer might well find 12 tricks if by any chance he is actually in 6 !H. In 4 !H he probably plays more conservatively and easily brings in hos contract.
I am not at all sure I want to say just how EW should get to 4 !H. In high cards they have a 12 count facing an 8 count but the hands fit perfectly and all finesses work as needed. If we look at LOTT we see that we have a 9 card !S fit, they have a 9 card !H fit, so LOTT ays that the tricks when  played in !S  plus the tricks when played in !H should total 18. It seems that a !S contract can always be held to 8 and a !H contract, I think, will always make 12 tricks so there are 2 more total tricks than LOTT predicts.

I like to give some of these lesson hands to the bots to see what they do, maybe I'll do it with this one later.

Added: On board 11, LOTT is exactly right. 18 total trump, 18 total tricks. Just thought I shoould give credit to LOTT here, having noted that it is (I am pretty sure) off on board 9.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 02:13:10 PM by kenberg »
Ken

jcreech

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2020, 05:58:03 PM »
Nice comments Ken.

On Board 9, I was surprised that the contract wasn't higher because both tables in the match I played did.  At my table, East overcalled 4H while at the other table, East made a simple overcall, then self-raised to game, so I anticipated bidding to at least that level.  With a solid 7-bagger and a silent partner, I would be more inclined to anticipate that the opponents have game and might be willing to pass 3S in the hope they don't get there. 

On Board 12, I was dummy on the same auction, and was expecting the worst when South led the SK and North signaled with the 9.  He then continued with the Q, and North contributed the 2, Now the J, and it doesn't matter what North does - the A and 7 are essentially equals (because the 10 was about to drop), and the suit blocked.  At least your play was based on an honest mistake; what happened at my table was closer to a complete brain freeze.  The only time playing the South cards like they did is if N-S were in a 5-5 fit, which they clearly were not.  However, Pat's play of the 2 meant that you could not afford having one of your top honors played under her ace; you needed the 9 and 7 played under your Q and J.  I would not expect you to get this one wrong, but there are many in IAC that need to be reminded to think about such problems. 

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2020, 03:06:40 PM »
Here are the hanfds and discussion from the 5/28/20 session.

Note:  There is an error in the discussion on Bd. 13.  I was going to swap the Q and 10 of hearts so that if a declarer got down to the heart guess, it would work for the drop but not the smother - that was based on my assumption that the only holdings of importance were ones with either 10x offside or Qx in either hand.  I never explained why I thought that Qx was a 2:1 proposition vs. 10x.  That is because I eliminated all unimportant distributions to make the the hand given that I had already tested for a singleton Q or 10 - I considered a double finesse in hearts to be too hard to execute with transportation issues unless I was banking everything on that position, so it was also discarded.  That left the 3-2 splits and only a few relevant.  Because the Qx would work both on and off side, but the 10x would only work if offside and the x's were the same for both, that made it essentially twice as likely to be Qx than 10x.

The play that actually works is the lower percentage smother the 10 to finesse the Q.

I think the play of the !H AK, followed by a try for a !H - !D squeeze, is the best shot although it fails here. It works if the !H Q drops, which should be about 1/3 of the time, and it works if the !H Q doesn't drop but the !H Q is with the long !D in either hand.

Assume a club lead since that attacks entries.  Win (of course) and cash the !H AK. The Q doesn't drop. So now play !S A and go back to the bard with a !C.  We now run the !S. The threats are the !H J and the !D 5 so, in the lingo, it is an automatic double squeeze meaning a two suit squeeze that operates as long as one opponent, either one, holds the !H Q and 4+ in !D. After the !S are cashed the position is

!H J
!D 93
!C 5

opposite

!D AKQ5

Whoever holds the !H Q has to keep it, so if he also started with 4+ diamonds then he had to toss one of them and now !D  run.

Unfortunately the !H Q and the long !D are in opposite hands so this fails.

I think the odds are upwards of 60%.  Failure requires the !H Q not to fall under the AK and then requires that the !H Q and the long !D be in separate hands. The !H Q fails to drop about 2/3 of the time, then the long !D fails to be with the !H Q a little more than 1/2 the time so, multiplying 2/3 by 1/2, we conclude that both possibilities fail a bit more than 1/3 of the time.

If the lead is  a !S or a !D then there is another squeeze  option, one that works here, although surely not the line that would be recommended.  It goes as follows:

Cash the !D AKQ throwing a !H from dummy, cash the !S A, go to the board with the !C A, run the !S.

After cashing the 4th !S it looks like this:

!S T
!H J9
!C  K5

!H AK8
!D 5
!C T

Now the last !S is led and N must come down to four cards. If he tosses a !H we can toss a !D and take the remaining tricks. If he instead tosses a !C then he now holds three !H and only 1 !C. So we toss a !H and play the !H AK, squeezing S in !C and !D.

This works. I  have not calculated out the odds but surely cashing the !H AK and then going for the simple automatic is the better line. Except, of course, that this latter line works. Added: I think the odds of this line working are moderately  better than 25%. It requires that the long hearts to be to the right of declarer and the long hearts to be on the left. It's somewhat better than 50% that the long hearts will be in the hand opposite the one with the long diamonds, and then we cout that in half since we want the hearts to the right, the diamonds to the left.

Summary: I think the first squeeze line  is the line most likely to succeed, although it fails here. The second squeeze line displays one of the many faces of squeeze play and so I included it for amusement, but I very much doubt it has the best odds of success. it does work, although a !C lead would prevent declarer from playing this way.

And still more beating of this poor horse: Squeezes are often discussed in lessons, this hand illustrates several features. The !D threat has to be the 5 since the three spots in the dummy fall under the AKQ. But for !h we have a choice. The !H AK brings down two spots in dummy, but either the third heart in dummy or the third heart in hand could be used as a !H threat. For tis hand, using the !H J on the board rather than the 8 in the hand as the threat  gives the better odds, or so I claim, but using the !H 8 in hand together with the !D 5 and the !C 5 for the double squeeze is the one that actually works as the cards are.

This squeeze stuff can easily get out of hand, I will now shut up.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 12:30:22 PM by kenberg »
Ken

jcreech

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2020, 09:51:29 PM »
6/11/20 hands and discussion

jcreech

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2020, 02:45:56 PM »
Attached are the 6/25/20 lesson hands

jcreech

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2020, 12:13:51 PM »
Attached are the hands from the 7/9 session.

jcreech

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2020, 01:34:48 AM »
Attached are the 7/23/20 hands.