Author Topic: The dDan Oakes defense session this coming Friday  (Read 1805 times)

kenberg

• View Profile
The dDan Oakes defense session this coming Friday
« on: January 11, 2022, 06:24:22 PM »
I am thinking of going to the Oakes session on defense but it requires some rearranging (modest rearranging but still rearranging).  So some questions:
1. I see it starts at 1 pm EST. It ends when?
2. Is this, I suppose it is, something where those of us attending will be playing some hands? Practicing declarer play I am just me, but if we are going to defend some hands I should probably try to be at least a little on key with a pard.

Anyway, I hope to attend. I think of defense as the weakest point of my game, but then I think that defense is the weakest point of everyone's game.  So a lot of good could come of this.
Ken

bAbsG

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
Re: The dDan Oakes defense session this coming Friday
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2022, 07:42:40 PM »
Sorry Ken - I didn't see this before today.  Dan will be hosting and sitting in all 4 seats.  If he decides to continue the classes into the far future we can ask that he consider changing the format.  But for now, I am so happy to have him.  Classes will be about an hour long with time for questions afterwards.  He is starting easy as the class is so varied in skill but I am sure he will have some good advice for all.

Hope that helps

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2022, 09:03:28 PM »
It all worked out. Mostly I just wanted to know how to plan. I usually lay in an acbl tournament at 1:10 on Friday. We agreed to play at 2:10 and all was well.
He had a nice set of hands.

Any format he chooses will be fine by me.

My pard is not in iac. Can he watch as well?
Ken

bAbsG

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2022, 06:01:24 PM »
Hi Ken

Sure - I am sharing screen on the Zoom link so he does not have to be in the room.  Anybody is free to watch.  Also, the link to the Zoom recording has been posted on the home page as well as on the Case for the Defense thread.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Babs

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2022, 06:50:49 PM »
I sent the zoom link to him but I have not heard back. I suspect he will just let it go.

Everyone has to decide how much time to spend on what. When my older daughter was in college she told me a guy was going to teach her bridge. I suggested that she wait until she finishes college and then learn to play bridge.
She took the first half of that advice, not learning while she was an undergrad. She recently turned 60 and still has not taken the second part of the advice

You, or whoever directs the DAREs, mentioned that defense comes up there also. I might post a couple of thoughts on that.
Ken