Author Topic: Dare to defend  (Read 2494 times)

kenberg

• View Profile
Dare to defend
« on: November 05, 2019, 01:25:10 PM »
The Dare to Declare hands often have some interesting defensive features . Of course the hands are set so that if declarer chooses correctly no defense will work, but the hands are often complex enough so that when declarer takes the wrong fork he still can, and sometimes does, make the contract.

Here is an illustration of that. I regard it as a difficult defensive hand.

Declarer is to your left. The uncontested auction began  with 1 !D on your right and then 1 !D - 1 !S - 1NT - 3 !S - 4 !S.  The opening lead is the !C J and dummy comes down. Here is your hand and dummy:

Dummy
              !S J74
              !H A2
              !D A654
              !C KQ54

!S 6
!C J led                      !H JT98
                                 !D QT73   You
                                 !C A762

Those who played yesterday's DARE might recall that the lesson was that declarer should play low at T1. But suppose he doesn't. He plays the K, you play the A, and now, seeing the ruffing potential of dummy, you shift to a !S. This is great, partner takes the Q and the A of !S and then leads another !S. There will be no ruffs in dummy today. That's the good news. The bad news is that on these spades plays you have to find two discards.

Declarer presumably has at least six spades for his 3 !S call, and you have seen partner has three spades, so declarer clearly started with exactly six spades. The rest of his hand his less certain  but maybe we can make some decent guesses. At any rate, we need to find a couple of discards.

Any thoughts? As mentioned, I regard this as a fairly tough problem. It's a matter of identifying dangers and finding a plausible way to cope.   

I realize that the DARE hands are exercises for declarer. But they are interesting hands and we might as well make the most of them.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 01:29:03 PM by kenberg »
Ken

Masse24

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
Re: Dare to defend
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2019, 04:41:11 PM »
I vote for dumping from the suit that will not cost us a trick.  ??? Not sure what suit that is though.

Based on the auction, I think it unlikely declarer has heart length. Probably no more than three.

So I'm dumping the JT of hearts.
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2019, 06:57:42 PM »
Good move.  Anything else and declarer can make the hand.  I am not saying that he will make it, but at least he can.

Here is the original layout.

!S J74
                   !H A2
                   !D A654
                   !C KQ54

!S AQ2                                 !S 6
!H Q753                               !H JT98
!D J9                                    !D QT73 
!C JT98                                 !C A762

!S KT9853
                  !H K64
                  !D K82
                  !C 3

it's clear enough that you cannot throw a !D since declarer can then pitch a !D from his han on the high club and then play !D K, !D to the A, ruff a !D to establish a !D in dummy to pitch a !H on.

It might be less clear that pitching a !C is wrong, but it is.  Of course if declarer had two clubs, giving partner only three, then pitching a club would be wrong because declarer could play the K and then ruff to establish clubs. But even with partner holding four clubs the club pitch has the potential to go wrong. If declarer ruffs a club then partner will be the only one who can still guard clubs. From the beginning you are the only one who can guard diamonds, and the entries are right for a double squeeze centered on hearts.

Declarer ruffs a club to hand and then cashes his last two spades tossing two diamonds from dummy, then plays A and a small !D to the board. The NS hands are now:

!H A2
!C Q5

!H K64
!D 8

Because of the club pitch, if you had done that, you would have only one club left. But that forces your pard to hold onto both of his so he can no longer be guarding hearts. He never could guard diamonds, so you have to be guarding diamonds. This means that you hold three  hearts and a diamond. Declarer now leads the !C K and you choose whether to establish declarer's !D or his third !H.

So yes, you toss two hearts.

But you are not yet out of the woods. Now partner has to hold on to his three hearts. But he also must hold clubs, since if he pitches clubs then you are subject to a !C - !D squeeze. But there is a difference. The hearts are positioned better for the defense than the diamonds were. Say declarer again ruffs a club and cashes his remaining trump, throwing diamonds.

!H A2
!D A6
!C Q5

!H K64
!D K82

Pard must be holding on to three hearts. If he has tossed a club then declarer can play !H K and !H to the A squeezing you in the minors. so we assume he held onto both clubs. So we assume pard holds three hearts, one diamond and two clubs. If declarer plays !D K and !d to the A, it is now safe for pard to toss a club. Declarer's threats against you are the !D 8 and the !C 5, but neither has an entry in its own suit so you can manage.  If, instead, he plays !H K and !H to the A, pard will follow nd you give up your !C guard.  Declarer can now play the !C K but this doesn't work the way it did before because he has to pitch before pard does.

I think all of this is right, it seems right, but it would not be the first time I was wrong. As mentioned, it is a complex hand. Yes the winning line is for declarer to play small from the board at T1 . But 3 out of four declarer's covered the J, and 2 out those three made it anyway. A very interesting hand.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 10:01:42 PM by kenberg »
Ken

Curls77

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2019, 09:23:14 PM »
wow, what a great discussion, ty both Ken & Todd!