Author Topic: Poco's Play Problems  (Read 9912 times)

kenberg

• View Profile
Re: Poco's Play Problems
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2020, 02:33:12 AM »
Some seriously interesting hands.  I note that in Hand 1, it could also be thought of as a non-duck problem The opening lead is the !S J and i would expect third hand to put up the K. Holding AQx, declarer might be tempted to duck. If he does so, the recommended line will no longer work. A spade is continued, a heart is ducked, but now EW have two tricks, the ducked spade and the ducked heart. If declarer now cashes the high clubs and hearts, and then throws W in,  W will have three tricks as before, but 3+2=5.

So the heart duck is a good duck but a spade duck would be a bad duck. Some ducks are better than other ducks. 

Also Hand 1 often succeeded because opponents ducked diamonds twice. Gotta keep a close eye on those ducks!

And hand 2 is cold for 7 !D but I have no idea of how to get there!

Fun hands! Yesterday was an anniversary (our 25th) but I will try to get to the next run.

Ken

poco1

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2020, 10:41:35 PM »
Tuesday 28th January saw the latest hands in the "Poco's Play Problems" series show their face. The theme of the hands was "The Only Chance."  Declarers had to visualise what distribution of the cards would allow them to make their contract, regardless of the defence. I was seriously impressed by the expertise shown by some of the players, since several of the problems were distinctly on the tough side! Due to holidays, there will be no more "Poco's Play Problems" now until March. I hope that you have had the same sort of enjoyment tackling them as I have in devising them. The latest hands, again with a brief commentary on each,are available from the link below. See you all again in a few week's time.

Curls77

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2020, 01:11:43 PM »
TY Colin for all great hands and such good commentary you gave us during so many weeks!
Have fun while away and enjoy f2f games, we will miss you, but March will come fast :)

poco1

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2020, 08:24:55 AM »
Poco's Play Problems returned on March 3rd, after a holiday break. The hands were all about planning the play as declarer. Some were decidedly more tricky than others, but the participants appeared to enjoy them. The next set will be on March17th...so, if you watched the discussion afterwards, why not take part next time? The latest hands and commentaries are below.

poco1

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2020, 10:09:20 PM »
March 17th saw the latest set of "Poco's Play Problems" reach the tables. Unfortunately, because of the high demand for BBO's services because of the Corona virus epidemic, the analysis session after the tourney was not able to use the usual voice facility. Nevertheless, plenty of players attended the session which relied on typing text, instead. There were some really tough puzzles in this set of hands, and, as one player pointed out, some declarers were successful because of defensive errors, rather than because of their own expertise. There is no answer to that... It would be impossible to tell all defenders how best to conduct their strategy. It is hoped that a new set of puzzles will be presented in a fortnight, but that will depend very much on how BBO is able to meet the unprecedented demand. The commentaries on the latest hands are available below.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 12:06:10 AM by poco1 »

Curls77

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2020, 11:09:29 PM »
SUNDAY March 29 2020
HAPPY HAPPY 75th BDay Colin, warmest friendly hugs and big bow for all you've done in IAC. WE LUBS YOU!
https://drive.google.com/open?id=12scgsPPO1dr0gbUMxhpPUfv1MmTWKwLl

poco1

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2020, 08:46:29 PM »
First of all, a huge "Thank You" for all the birthday wishes for last Sunday, my 75th.  I got so many emails, texts, skype calls and chat messages from all over the world. I was on my own, and I had received no cards, (I think our postman is a victim of the Corona virus epidemic) but the day was really a wonderful one. The latest set of Poco's Problems are attached below. It was suggested that a .lin file might also be useful, so that is available below as well. I will be producing two more sets of problems, which will take us up to the end of April, then I shall have a rest. I shall still be providing analysis for the IAC Monday evening events and, whilst the crisis is evident everywhere, I am holding mentoring sessions on a Tuesday and Thursday mornings at 10:00 am UK time. Please join in... all are welcome.

Curls77

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2020, 11:59:11 AM »
 !H

poco1

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2020, 07:27:53 AM »
The current restrictions do not allow IAC to run "Poco's Problems" as a tourney at the moment, so they are being shown in a "sit and play" teaching session. 36 or so players took part or watched, and many preferred this format to the tourneys! The last set of problems, for the time being, will be in a fortnight's time, on 28th April. Unless BBO restrictions change, the format will be the same. The hands from yesterday, (the 14th) are below, along with a .lin file.  KEEP SAFE!

poco1

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2020, 08:19:45 PM »
The last set of "Poco's Problems" were used tonight, in another "play and discuss" session. I shall be taking a break from devising these problems for a while, but I will be back with more in the future! The commentaries for tonight's hands, along with a .lin file, are below.  KEEP SAFE!