Author Topic: Master Solvers Club - December 2019  (Read 18774 times)

Masse24

• View Profile
Master Solvers Club - December 2019
« on: October 11, 2019, 03:13:33 PM »
DECEMBER MSC

Deadline: November 10 at 9:00 a.m. (ET)

Submit your November responses here: The Bridge World - MASTER SOLVERS CLUB

BWS 2017 System: BWS 2017

BWS 2017 POLLS, CHANGES AND ADDITIONS: BWS 2017 - Polls, Changes, and Additions
  • Bridge World Standard 2017 (BWS or BWS2017) is effective beginning with the January 2017 Master Solvers' Club problems. This page shows (1) the results of the panelist polls that were used to adjust the system; and (2) the changes in and the additions to Bridge World Standard 2001 (BWS2001) that were made.
    In the listings of the questions and answers, an asterisk indicates the BWS2001 agreement; the proportion of the expert votes for each item, rounded to the nearest percent, is shown in brackets.

PROBLEM A: Matchpoints
East-West Vulnerable
You, South, hold:
!S 643 !H Q72 !D K64 !C KQ95

SOUTHWESTNORTHEAST
   —   —    —Pass
PassPass1 !D  1 !S
??

What call do you make?

PROBLEM B: Matchpoints
Neither Side Vulnerable
You, South, hold:
!S 6 !H KQ !D Q8742 !C K9763

SOUTHWESTNORTHEAST
   —2 !HDbl3 !H
?*

*BWS: 4NT = Takeout

What call do you make?

PROBLEM C: IMPs
Neither side vulnerable
You, South, hold:
!S T2 !H AT64 !D K7 !C AKT94

SOUTHWESTNORTHEAST
   —1 !DPassPass
?

What call do you make?

PROBLEM D: IMPs
East-West Vulnerable
You, South, hold:
!S AKQ943 !H KQ95 !D 9 !C J5

SOUTHWESTNORTHEAST
1 !S3 !DPassPass
?
What call do you make?

PROBLEM E: IMPs
North-South Vulnerable
You, South, hold:
!S T82 !H AKQ7 !D J87 !C Q82

SOUTHWESTNORTHEAST
   —   —1 !CPass
1 !HPass1 !SPass
?

What call do you make?

PROBLEM F: Board-a-Match
Both sides vulnerable
You, South, hold:
!S QJ !H KT84 !D 2 !C QJT543

SOUTHWESTNORTHEAST
   —   —1 !S2 !H
PassPassDblPass
?

What call do you make?

PROBLEM G: IMPs
East-West Vulnerable
You, South, hold:
!S K !H AQJ97 !D A85 !C KJ42

SOUTHWESTNORTHEAST
1 !HPass1 !SPass
2 !CPass2 !SPass
?

What call do you make?

PROBLEM H: IMPs
Both sides vulnerable
You, South, hold:
!S A2 !H QT92 !D AQ7 !C JT94

SOUTHWESTNORTHEAST
1 !C2 !SPass3NT
PassPassPass

What is your opening lead?

Good luck everyone!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 11:41:29 PM by Masse24 »
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

blubayou

• IACAdmins
  • lifelong director [1977-2010] and haunter of ACBL
    • View Profile
Re: Master Solvers Club - December 2019
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2019, 07:35:21 PM »
a>> 2Clubs

b>>  4Clubs <added: if X is actually responsive,  then this problem
           is a no-brainer  and that will be my vote, naturally!
c>> 1NT
d>> double
e>> 2Diamonds
f>> 2NT
g>> 3Diamonds   this is the only one this
           month that doesn't give me the creeps!
h>> heart 10  ( or nine, if that is standard BWS)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 02:12:24 PM by blubayou »
often it is better to beg forgiveness, than ask permission

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2019, 01:57:18 AM »
Initial Guesses:

PROBLEM A: 2 !D . Several choices are possible.
•   1NT with a flat 10 is right on values but lacking the (usually) promised stopper is flawed.
•   A double is flexible, and although rare, a negative double, even with only three hearts, should include this shape as possible when no better response is possible.
•   2 !C is also possible. As a passed hand I’m limited to 12 at most but show a minimum of 10. I have 10, but the hand is so flat it’s more like 9—plus, it’s my belief that a 2 !C bid should show 5+ card suit.
•   That leaves 2 !D (support with support) which is only mildly flawed. I would prefer a fourth !D but you can’t have everything.

PROBLEM B: Dbl . Every time I pay heed to the little *BWS blurbs I regret it. I don’t quite get the 4NT = “takeout” choice of terminology. It feels like more of an “Unusual” 4NT to me. Looking at both minors, “Unusual” 4NT looks like a good description, at least shape-wise. Regardless, at Matchpoints 4NT is a bit rich for me.

No, I can’t make myself bid 3NT.

Additional thoughts: Over 2 !H partner had the opportunity to bid 3 !H to show a two-suited hand with !S and a minor. (Yes, it’s Michaels-See Aug. 2018 MSC.) With a strong single-suited !S hand partner could have overcalled 3 !S or 4 !S (both strong) so he does not have that hand. Therefore, partner almost surely has the classic three-suited takeout. Also, with LHO showing six !H and RHO showing three, the location of two hearts is unknown. Does partner have them?

Finally, WHERE ARE THE SPADES? I have a hard time believing they are 4-4-4 around the table. I fully understand partner not overcalling with 2 !S with only five spades, especially if the suit has gaps. So I think that to be most likely. Partner’s layout is possibly/probably 5=1 (43).

Bidding either of my minors at 4-level is the weakest move I can make. At the moment that’s where I’m leaning.

[Added]: Changed my mind on this one. I'm still worried that 4NT is too much. And I feel strongly that partner probably has five spades. So 4-3 in the minors is also likely. To convey the message that either minor is fine, I double (responsive), then pull partner's 3 !S to 4 !C , asking partner to pass or correct. With appropriate extras partner can bid game. This one "feels" right.

PROBLEM C: 2 !C . Coin flip with 1NT. While 1NT narrows my point range, 2 !C shows a suit and good lead director. If partner invites with 2NT I’ll bid game.

PROBLEM D: 3 !H . Shows nine of my cards, rather than just six. I hate this call and may change this one.

[Added]: I'll stick with 3 !H (for the reason stated above) which is what I would bid at the table. It's descriptive, so should not fare poorly. But I fear that double may be the winning call here.

PROBLEM E: 2NT. [Added]: Jack-third is a stopper in 2019, yes? Changed my mind here. Going low. Admittedly timid when vulnerable at IMPs.

2 !D . Flexible. 1 !S could be up to 17 or a bad 18. Queen-third in !C is nice help for what presumably (hopefully?) is a five-card !C suit.

PROBLEM F: Pass. [Added] This was a coin flip to begin with. It landed on tails.

2 !S . BAM scoring. Who knows? Anything could be right, even Pass, which is my second choice.

PROBLEM G: 3 !S . Although a stiff, the !S K is a great filler for partner’s suit. While tempting to bid game, partner could have as little as ATxxxx or AJxxxx. Partner has already shown his range, so this invite should request he bid game if at the top of that range.

[Added]: I keep contemplating some level of NoTrump (Prefer 2NT), but worry about entries. So I think I'll stick with the mildly esoteric raise with a stiff.

PROBLEM H: !H T. Alternatively, the !C Jack. No strong feelings. I could be convinced otherwise.

A couple of these I have zero confidence in, so may change one or two after I look again.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 12:28:02 PM by Masse24 »
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2019, 03:31:35 AM »
My initial thoughts:

A.   Dbl – torn between negative double with 3 hearts, raise with 3 diamonds, or 1NT with no stopper.  I like the negative double best because partner might bid clubs.
B.   4NT – I think that while the note says takeout, I am certain that it emphasizes the minors because why would you bypass 4 !S.
C.   1NT – really a bit too good in the balancing seat, but it is the best description – semi-balanced with 14 HCP.  If partner had a decent major, then they would have likely overcalled, so I’ll take a chance on scattered values opposite me.
D.   3 !H – shows that I am unbalanced or I probably would have doubled.  Partnere may still have four, but without enough strength to make the negative double.
E.   2 !D – 4th suit forcing – I have the values, but with a weak diamond stop and only the !C Q to be led into, I want to right side this hand and try to get partner to bid the NT.
F.   3 !C – I really want to pass, but with a long club suit with no quick tricks and soft values in partner’s suit, I am afraid of finding 2 !H making.  2 !S is my 2nd choice at this time, but may be elevated before I submit.  It is BAM, and any of these three choices could be right.
G.   3 !D – my stiff king is now carrying full weight.  I would love to bid the nine trick NT game, so I am giving partner a chance to do so.  If partner bids hearts, now 3 !S should show a stiff honor and complete my picture.  3 !S is my problem response – do I carry on to game like I should?
H.   !H 2 – There are a number of possible correct leads – clubs may not well stopped, a number of heart cards would be useful, and partner could have a nice diamond holding opposite my AQx.  The !S A should give me a 2nd chance to hit something really good, but I think the hearts is the best opening – now the question is whether to start small or top of the interior sequence.  Partner has at best about 3 HCPs, so a small heart would cater to partner holding either the J or K
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 02:51:45 AM by jcreech »
A stairway to nowhere is better than no stairway at all.  -Kehlog Albran

blubayou

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2019, 04:28:47 AM »
thanks for showing up,  moderators!
glad you both have doubts too   though not so many ias i have!
(by the way, booss  "4NT Takeout" MEANS  minors  in  OB-Speak:)
your semi-support  for my opening guesses  gives me hope to  get above 550 this month,  but of course i would leader-board in  my first two trys,  and a pair of ZEROS    put paid to that guess.

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2019, 10:11:59 PM »
G.   3 !D – my stiff king is now carrying full weight.  I would love to bid the nine trick NT game, so I am giving partner a chance to do so.  If partner bids hearts, now 3 !S should show a stiff honor and complete my picture.  3 !S is my problem response – do I carry on to game like I should?

This is an interesting choice, and one I had not considered. I'll have to give this one some thought before pulling the trigger.

And I was feeling so smug about my first choice. Darn you, Jim!  ;)

Something that occurs to me, however, is that since 2 !C was not forcing, neither is 3 !D. Clearly it shows extras, but it's short of the values for a jump-shift. If opener had a minimum he simply passes 2 !S. But if opener had a 0=5=4=4 16 or 17 count he might bid it this way, yes? And that is nearly what we have! But what does responder do with a 6=1=4=2 five count? Pass? And we play our 4-3 "fit"at the 3-level?

Scary!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 10:33:58 PM by Masse24 »

blubayou

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2019, 02:33:15 PM »
[[quote from jim :]]
G.   3 !D – my stiff king is now carrying full weight.  I would love to bid the nine trick NT game, so I am giving partner a chance to do so.  If partner bids hearts, now 3 !S should show a stiff honor and complete my picture. 

Something that occurs to me, however, is that since 2 !C was not forcing, neither is 3 !D . Clearly it shows extras, but it's short of the values for a jump-shift.

regarding  non-forcing nature of  3!D:   I will never forget  getting an 80 [90?]   for rebidding 2!S in a mid-nineties  MSC with AJ976, x, QXXXX, xx.    on this very auction.    Passing 3 diamonds   would now take about .5 seconds  :) P.S.  0-5-4-4  is usually bid H, then D, then Clubs if at all.[/quote]
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 02:46:35 PM by blubayou »

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2019, 03:45:04 PM »
Submitted. A couple of changes from my initial thoughts. Explained above.

SOLUTIONS FOR:
Todd Holes
Glen Ellyn IL
U.S.A.

PROBLEM A: 2 Diamonds
PROBLEM B: Double
PROBLEM C: 2 Clubs
PROBLEM D: 3 Hearts
PROBLEM E: 2 Notrump
PROBLEM F: Pass
PROBLEM G: 3 Spades
PROBLEM H: Heart 10

wackojack

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2019, 11:58:51 PM »
This is what I am going to submit tomorrow unless I change my mind. 

PROBLEM A:

1NT
If partner is balanced 12-14 that is where we want to be.  If unbalanced I expect partner to bid again.

PROBLEM B:

Double
This hand is not strong enough to bid 4NT, so I will make a responsive double showing support for the minors.  I think it most likely that partner has 4♠, 2♥ and 4-3 in the minors.  If partner bids 4♣ or 4♦ I will pass.  If 3NT, I face a very tough choice.   

PROBLEM C:

1NT
What else?  Not pass, 1♥ or 2♣.  That’s for sure.

PROBLEM D:

3♥
I do not want to ignore the ♥ suit by bidding 2♠. 

PROBLEM E:

2♦
Partner is showing an unbalanced hand in my book.  However, I assume (without looking) that in BWS this could also show a balanced hand with 4 spades.  Either way I am strong enough to try 4th suit forcing 2♦ who will bid 2NT with a ♦ guard.  Then I bid 3N. If partner bids 3♣ I will bid a temporising 3♠ showing a 3 card ♠ suit. 

PROBLEM F:

Pass
My first reaction is to pass for penalties.  Is it possible that we have 5♣ on and 2♥x goes 2 off?  Or we can make 3NT?  No, I stick with pass.  ________________________________________

PROBLEM G:

3♠
BWS: A two-spade response to one heart is strong and indicates a hand stronger than ordinary game-going values Does this mean that partner could have ♠Axxxxx and nothing else? Even so my K♠ could bring in the spades with only one loser.  So I will invite with 3♠.

PROBLEM H:
!C
My opening lead guesses are notoriously bad and so I am giving this a lot of thought. J♣ safe?  Or ♥ and which one?  Partner should have zero points at worst and 3 points at best.  I have to assume that declarer cannot set up his spades and therefore has 2.  Let could be J♠♥ or ♦.  I can count declarer having 1♠+3♣ =4 tricks and so must make 5 in ♥ and ♦.  If I lead a ♥ and declare has the Jack, then all declarer needs to do is to make 2 tricks in ♦s.  So I can see great danger in leading a heart.  Perhaps declarer can end play me anyway.  Nevertheless J♣ it must be. 

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2019, 12:00:12 PM »
SOLUTIONS FOR:
James Creech
Fredericksburg VA
U.S.A.

PROBLEM A: Double
PROBLEM C: 1 Notrump
PROBLEM E: 2 Diamonds
PROBLEM F: 2 Notrump
PROBLEM G: 3 Diamonds
PROBLEM H: Club Jack

In the end, I shifted from some of my original thoughts.

B.  Finally went with the responsive double, indicating at least two places to play and under the circumstances de-emphasizes spades because I would bend over to bid that suit
F.  I still don't feel right with passing with essentially only two defensive tricks, but in NT, those same two tricks work toward the nine for a game.  The !S QJ fill out partner's suit and depending on fit with partner, the clubs may be a genuine source of tricks.
H.  I still want to lead a heart, but think the panel will go for the safer club lead - this is a contest vs. table decision for me.

I still identify Ken Berg as a partner for this contest.
A stairway to nowhere is better than no stairway at all.  -Kehlog Albran

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2019, 01:11:48 PM »
P.S.  0-5-4-4  is usually bid H, then D, then Clubs if at all.

Blu, I disagree. It's pretty standard to bid four card suits up-the-line, even at the two-level.

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2019, 02:23:36 PM »
"I still identify Ken Berg as a partner for this contest."  ---jcreech

So far ken has been lazy or, to put it more kindly, a bit slow. We have a book club meeting Saturday and I am working my way through Michael Chabon's Moonglow. It's one of these books that hops around in time and location, hops a lot, and so it's a bit of a challenge.  Ultimately it is well worth it, although it took me maybe 150 pages before I came to believe that.  Anyway, I am hoping to get to work on the MSC problems tomorrow.

Sorry to have not connected with you at the recent DARE, and I missed almost all of poco's stuff the other day.  A lot of interesting stuff going on with IAC.
Ken

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2019, 03:59:50 PM »
PROBLEM H: IMPs
Both sides vulnerable
You, South, hold:
!S A2 !H QT92 !D AQ7 !C JT94

SOUTHWESTNORTHEAST
1 !C2 !SPass3NT
PassPassPass

What is your opening lead?

Looking again at the lead problem.

Assume dummy has an entry. Assume it’s the !D King. If doubleton, it would be key to knock it out early before the spades could be set up. To do so I would lead the !D Ace and follow up low. My !S Ace then prevents the suit from running. If after leading the !D Ace the King does not appear in dummy, then it’s probably on my right and I’ve lost nothing. I simply stay away from the !D suit.

This stab in the dark is admittedly a long shot, but I like it far better than the !C Jack.

I’ve made my choice and have submitted, so no changes at this point. But I thought it was an interesting possibility and one that should be considered.

wackojack

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2019, 04:03:00 PM »
SOLUTIONS FOR:
Jack Goody
Guildford
England

PROBLEM A: 1 Notrump
PROBLEM F: Pass
PROBLEM G: 3 Spades
PROBLEM H: Club Jack

bAbsG

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2019, 04:55:44 PM »
Your solutions have been received. This copy is for your records.

SOLVER: Babs Giesbrecht
       Qualicum Beach BC
       Canada

Your Solutions for the December 2019 Contest 
-------------------
PROBLEM A: Double
PROBLEM F: 2 Spades
PROBLEM G: 3 Diamonds