Author Topic: Why I Want to Be a Member of IAC  (Read 31711 times)

kenberg

• View Profile
Re: Why I Want to Be a Member of IAC
« Reply #60 on: November 21, 2018, 08:19:53 PM »
Right, and I imagine, or hope,  that I am safe as well. I compare this with my going to the gym at the Y. Sometimes five days a week. Other times I am gone for a month. But whichever, I don't plan to quit and I don't want to be tossed out.

Assuming this is all to be done by a computer, maybe the computer could do it in two stages: Those, and only those, who would be tossed out could get a warning letter and then, a few moths later, could be dropped if they still don't participate.  If it is being done by human hand I can see how that might be too much work but this is the day of the robot. I  had a very friendly conversation with one of those robots just a few hours ago regarding my health insurance.  They are not very flexible but if the problem is straightforward then we can get along fine.
Ken

Curls77

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 22, 2018, 12:10:08 AM »
Hi all and thanks for showing concern that many members might share  !H
I can send email only so long, and can not explain all. I did not mean it as a threat, blame my "english" if sounded so, sorry.
Facts: BBO asks as to keep club under 1000 members. There are many of reasons, but at the end, we better please them & actually we want to please them. When I say "active" it means play in friendly game in the club, in IAC team or trny; assist to a lesson; watch friends play in IAC, etc. None who has done that for last year will be affected, as well as no member that's in club forever as Ken or Mike.
But pls, keep in mind that every week we get about two dozen applications, and we accept about 75% of them, that would satisfy criteria of IAC (posted on main page). But, truth is that grand majority of those people just never EVER puts foot in the club, they are  just holders of club card. We are not helping them, and not only they are not helping us - they are in a way harming us. All we will try do is cut some dead weight before we reach forbidden 1000. We keep having same 300+ names active or senior enough, it will just help all if 300 never seen anywhere are simply gone and room made for players that might just become most loyal members ever.
Hope that explains warning mails.
Sanya

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 22, 2018, 02:27:16 AM »
Sanya,
Thanks.

The BBO idea of keeping membership under 1000 makes some sense. But then, when combined with a steady inflow of new members, I can see how this requires some follow-up action with those who join but never do anything. No doubt there are a great many people who qualify as intermediate or advanced. This would be true in bridge, in golf, in dancing, in just about anything.  So I see the problem.

I'll relax on this. I figured that if a computer kicked me off I would appeal to a human (you) to let me back in. But wait! Neither of us has proof that the other of us is human. Some of these robots are getting really clever at disguise.

Anyway, thanks, and I'll relax.

Ken

infidel

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 24, 2018, 01:49:10 AM »
thanks for the response and reassurance, Sanya. My paranoia has some not-too-unreasonable roots, and I appreciate you allaying my concern.

Curls77

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 24, 2018, 11:21:35 PM »
 !H