Author Topic: Why I Want to Be a Member of IAC  (Read 30761 times)

Curls77

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Why I Want to Be a Member of IAC
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2018, 08:42:35 PM »
I see one Post of yours Dick, for monday 2000-2200 UTC

DickHy

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2018, 11:19:17 PM »
Yeah, am making progress slowly.  Tried to edit it to include my partner and to change the time but that seemed to erase it.  Made another entry.  Will probably leave that as it is.

Curls77

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2018, 11:23:33 PM »
Dick, keep trying. It works, just try. Box with tick is OK. Other is cancel.

DickHy

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2018, 12:10:32 PM »
Apologies all.  This morning I noticed that all the posts I made to the Play Calendar actuallly made it, even though I couldn't see them at the time over the weekend.  I have deleted all but the one I wanted to post.

ian84

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2018, 04:54:20 PM »
The other alternative is that they decided teaching Bridge for free was not as attractive as giving private lessons for payment. I can't fault anyone who takes that stance, although my own view has always been that Bridge has given me a lifetime of enjoyment and I really don't mind putting something back into the game
-

I discussed this with Maureen Hall at the BIL some years back. Maureen's view was that no teachers giving free lessons on BBO were ever out of pocket in doing so, because they pick up private students in the process. The BIL has always been very successful in finding and nurturing 'young' teachers who often begin as Teaching assistants or Mentors. And I believe that its largely down to Maureen that so many 'established' teachers began teaching there. We can only do so much with the size of the Admin team and the Teaching roster.

I assume that Oliver or Pam keep in touch with our teachers past and present. We perhaps need to utilise more our growing membership to suggest possible new teachers, and to encourage our more senior members to start to host some classes.

We desperately need to recruit more American and Canadian class hosts and TDs, so that the North American evening players are catered for, imo 
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids

Curls77

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2018, 07:14:26 PM »
We desperately need to recruit more American and Canadian class hosts and TDs, so that the North American evening players are catered for, imo
That is a fact, we do. There are many members, that have in profile "BIL TD", but never any offered any assistance to IAC.

ggriffin0

« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2018, 08:45:13 PM »
Blame Sanya for disregarding to the NA audience. We have a running joke about that. About two years ago I was teaching both Monday night and Thursday day. Usually about 1hour before the 8pm EST lesson I was called a “traitor” for neglecting the needs of the European player  :P .

All jokes aside but fwiw. I would hazard a guess that the NA/SA/Canadian player’s needs in regard to playing time and lessons are diverse and complex. Many of “us” have a local evening game, others play during the day and still others, students and retirees, are a bit more flexible than the working “stiffs” (joke of Joe’s). If there is sufficient interest, I could put together a poll to find where there is the greatest need and we could cater to that?

I would also be interested in what times are sought for our Chinese, Indian, Russian, Southeast Asian and South Pacific players (etc). Feedback on this would be greatly appreciated.

Curls77

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2018, 06:30:02 PM »
Blame Sanya for disregarding to the NA audience. We have a running joke about that. About two years ago I was teaching both Monday night and Thursday day. Usually about 1hour before the 8pm EST lesson I was called a “traitor” for neglecting the needs of the European player  :P .

Pffftttttftftf , it's gotta be me who is guilty one  ???
Not that I minded those time zones get lessons, what I minded is me losing such lesson.. heck, I never claimed I was over altruistic!  ;D

OK, joke aside. Untill BBO cleaned most of our members, we had lots of chinese members, and some from Japan, Indonesia etc. I am affraid they are all gone now, except half dozen perhaps. In 725 members we maybe have 35-40 from NZ and Australia all together. We have lots of Indians and most of them assist lessons and play in trnys in what we call "prime-time". Russians and Turkish players fit there too.
That really leaves both Americas east working class + pacific coast uncovered.
Joe's is category on himself, playing from work!!

onoway

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2018, 02:58:27 AM »
Many of the people who used to be members joined for the team matches, specifically the series. Certainly that was true of the Indonesian players, one of whom has gone on the earn a star! and also true of a whole lot of Turkish players. The Indonesian players were university students who graduated and got busy in other places with careers. We lost the Turkish players because of the language barrier, they had had a woman who had coordinated their memberships and kept them organized, she spoke superb English, most of her players spoke next to none.  When she became no longer available nobody had the language skills or interest / ability to do what she had done for them. The Chinese players were fairly briefly involved with interclub matches, those also collapsed due to language and scheduling issues.

I suspect the best approach would be to try to find someone in those areas who a) speaks English and b) has an interest in coordinating interested players and events with us. Language barriers are a problem as people without a fairly good command of English wouldn't even know of IAC, nor understand how to join or why they should. :)

The west coast hasn't been particularly responsive in the past to efforts providing events at times designed to accommodate them. A few....but it takes more than 5 or 6 to run a tourney or team match.

learning4

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2018, 08:01:56 PM »
I am an intermediate bridge player who is a better-than-average player on good days but who goes into periodic bridge slumps, usually vacation-induced, that seem to last months.

I am also a BIL member who still plays there in order to support Maureen.  Without the BIL I would have stopped playing bridge a long time ago and for that, I am eternally grateful.

The IAC gives me what the BIL cannot: the opportunity to play with better players.  I would like to feel the same kind of camaraderie but it can't be only the IAC that is supportive- it has to be the members
from this forum:

Quote #1
“some very weak players who lurked in the club and pounced when the new member opened a table, so it was often pretty sad bridge, understandably not appealing to a strong advanced player.”

Quote #2
“the aim of the Club ought to be to give people the opportunity to improve and develop their Bridge skills in a friendly and supportive environment…”

Quote #2 is why I joined the IAC while quote #1 personifies why I don't enjoy the IAC like i used to.

Basically, he IAC needs to decide what its mission is. It cannot be everything to everyone.
If its mission is to help and support I/A players to improve, you have my vote.   If you would like members to come to the IAC and open a table with the expectation that any I/A player can sit, then make that clear. FYI: There is almost nothing worse for bridge esteem than to be frozen out by the more advanced players.

When you announce that players are needed, specify that it is open to any level or only to a specific level.

To those who wish to restrict the level, when setting up a table, check “permission to play” and then put the level in the table description.  Otherwise, it seems reasonable that with open seats, any member of the IAC can sit. 

I would love to support the IAC the way I do the BIL.

Curls77

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 05, 2018, 10:45:47 AM »
I hope that all will agree that there is not one single reason why on BBO would exist BIL nº1 and BIL nº2 (or so called IAC). BIL and IAC differ lots. Yes, we do have many players that are members of both, but they are not beginners.
Let me just give few vague examples: Most BIL members will appreciate lessons on transfers, while IACers need lesson on Lebensohl. You can not expect someone who is just learning basics to understand what AngelBlue's lessons on squeezes, and any interm+ (or advanced player) will be bored to death listening to a lesson on standard carding, which beginners would find essential. There are teachers as Hoki, teaching in both clubs and very able adjust their lessons to students' needs.

When a player applies for IAC membership, they need to meet criteria posted on home page of IAC site:
FOR NEW MEMBERS: To join IAC, simply register on the site, no applications sent in bbo will be considered. Your nickname (equal here to your BBO nickname) must be at least 6 months old and you must have at least 200 logins. Also, we will check your activity in MyHands, where you need 100+ hands played per month and decent average score, so you'll match skill level of our members. If some of those criteria you do not meet, to avoid rejection, pls await couple of months and apply then.
Decent score above means at least close to 0, we do not ask for +2 ave imps per hand. But we will not approve someone who has -150 imps in 70 hands played in each of 2 last months. They will not help no other member improve, and "sad bridge" that you quoted will happen, which again does not benefit anyone.

Imho, IAC's aim is to have active members, and of skill that is approximate to majority. Mind we do not say equal, but approximate level. In club we have about a dozen players that are clearly much better than majority of us, as Joe, Bill, Todd, Donna, Paula, just to mention few. And another 3 dozens that are clearly much worse than majority, but still fit in just fine. In between are hundreds of "us", intermediate players with better & worse days.
It helps all other find pard for club friendly game, trny or sit in team matches, and in result  there is absolutely NO need for anyone to restrict level when setting table. But that is only because we do not and can not accept for a member just every BILie that wants to play with his BIL friends that are IAC members too.

I would love to support the IAC the way I do the BIL.
When it was last time you played in IAC, Liz? Be that club friendly game, trny or a team match?

learning4

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 05, 2018, 10:49:12 PM »
Over the years I have played in the IAC's team ladder, the team series, and the partnership ladders.  I attend Angel Blue's classes on squeezes and played in his Dare to Declare tourneys.  In answer to your question, Curls77, I believe I played in the IAC just last week and my partner and I have been trying to figure out when we can play in the team matches. 

The topic is "Why I want to be a member of the IAC" but I inferred that the IAC was also trying to figure out its purpose and what would attract players to become more active.  I explained that camaraderie was important to me.

I realize that playing more frequently in the IAC will not only improve my bridge but also build the camaraderie that I am seeking.  So, Curls77, I look forward to seeing you in the IAC and maybe even playing together.  But please be patient with me!  "Sad bridge" and good bridge are relative.

infidel

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 20, 2018, 07:05:32 PM »
Yet again, I got an automated text threatening to remove "inactive" members from the rolls of IAC. As one who lurks, usually invisibly (stalker problem), I'm concerned that my non-participation in tourneys and team matches will be taken as a lack of interest, leading to my removal. I'm not quite sure what steps I can take, other than giving up and playing in the team matches, that will allay the suspicions/accusations that I don't belong here.  Suggestions welcome.

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 21, 2018, 02:12:50 AM »
These threats to oust some of us have raised my anxiety level as well.  I have been busy and not playing much, and I have no idea if it has now reached the point where I am about to be cast out. I suppose this is all being decided by some computer program so whatever will be will be.

Maybe we could first be put on probation? I don't know the criteria for being dumped so I don't know if I am near it.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 02:28:39 AM by kenberg »
Ken

jcreech

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 21, 2018, 04:18:22 PM »
I think the email is meant to warn those who have not participated to either participate, or let someone from IAC know not to remove them from the list.

I too have gotten the BBO email, but:
1. I joined this year
2. I have made contributions on the forums here
3. I have attended and/or participated in classes held by Dave, Arik and WOB
4. I have participated in the Dare tourney's and occasional Spur team games.

So I should not be at risk, but still received the email. 

A stairway to nowhere is better than no stairway at all.  -Kehlog Albran