Author Topic: Right or wrong?  (Read 2184 times)

kenberg

• View Profile
Right or wrong?
« on: September 04, 2019, 03:02:27 PM »
Imps, partner and opponents are robots, nobody vul, three passes to you, you hold:

!S: J2
!H: 8
!D: A972
!C: AKQJ94

You start with 1 !C, 1 !H on your left, pass by partner, 2 !C on your right. Not a lot of highs, but  a pretty good hand so I bid 2 !D. The auction continues:

Pass    Pass    Pass    1 !C
 1H     Pass   2 !C     2 !D
Pass    3 !D   3 !H     4 !D
Pass    Pass   4 !H   uh oh

My thinking: My hand has values playing in the minors, not much value on defense. Otoh, haven't I made that clear already, so maybe I can pass and leave this up to partner? So I passed and we defend 4 !H. Partner leads the !C 6.

Here is my hand again, now with dummy shown:

!C 6 is led

!S: AKT3
                                                            !H: A972
                                                            !D: T5
                                                            !C: 752

An interesting feature is that I still do not know if Pass was right or wrong. Partner would lead the 6 from T86 and he would lead the 6 from 63 and of course from a stiff 6. We would have been down at least one and perhaps exactly one, but perhaps more, in 5 !D. We will beat 4 !H, assuming we have two !D tricks coming,  if that 6 is either a stiff or 63, and we will be held to three tricks, so 4 !H makes,  if that 6 is from T86.

So: Would you have bid 5 !D before seeing the lead and the dummy, and after seeing the lead and the dummy would you wish you had bid 5 !D? Do you think it is clear? Does it matter that this is imps? And does it matter that your partner and the opponents are bots? And anything else?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 03:05:33 PM by kenberg »
Ken

kenberg

• View Profile
Re: Right or wrong?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2019, 07:35:16 PM »
Spoiler, I will now partially answer my own question.

The NS hands are

!S: 985
!H: J54
!D: KQ86
!C: T86

So yes, 4 !h is cold and 5 !D is off 1. 
To make it all worse, it does matter some that the opponents are bots. At one table S is in 5 !D and W led his stiff !C, after which there are 11 tricks. At another table, S opened 3NT, was raised to 4NT passed out, W, for reasons unknown, let a !D spot from Jxx instead of the !H K from KQTxx, after which ten tricks are there.

Would a human go on to 5 !D with the N hand? I don't know. But on the auction he cannot expect us to be taking many club tricks and at most two diamond tricks. Had he known his rho was going to lead a stiff !C against 5 !D no doubt he would have bid on!

We will put the blame on Mame and move on.

Added: I suppose if N bids over 4 !H it would be 5 !C rather than 5 !D.  But for both N and S it comes down to guessing whether EW can make 4 !H.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 11:37:42 AM by kenberg »
Ken