Author Topic: audio and caution  (Read 7289 times)

kenberg

• View Profile
audio and caution
« on: April 23, 2017, 01:42:51 PM »
Hi all,

I am often cautious, and of course this has good points and bad.

Last night I joined Oliver's presentation of defense against Pecision. Sonya provided a link to an audio site. I clicked on it and I thought I had opened it but I did not get any audio. Anyway, I was looking at it today and thinking of installing whatever it is that has to be installed. This is where the caution comes on.

See
https://www.enigmasoftware.com/myradioaccesstoolbar-removal/
and
https://www.pcrisk.com/removal-guides/9248-myradioaccess-toolbar

Since I never got the audio going I am not sure if there was an audio part to the presentation or not. I am uncertain just what to do, I generally go with caution on web things. I know I miss out sometimes, but otoh I have never been hacked. On occasion I have had some slightly weird things go on, but not so severe that I couldn't cope.

Anyway, I am asking what the experience of others has been with this site.

Or maybe I somehow I ended up at some weird site all on my own? This can happen.

Ken

Curls77

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: audio and caution
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 04:03:19 PM »
That's very strange Ken.
Many teachers use that radio as Hondo for example. Oliver has been using it, and it's always same link: http://ocp.radio12345.com/

When you load that page, it should look as this screen shot (http://tinypic.com/r/9u51jt/9). There is nothing to install, or run. When Oliver is using it, as soon as you load the page, you should be able to listen - of course nothing happens now as he is not using it right now.

RogerPfi, autor of aaBridge, makes movies of Oliver's lessons, so we can watch them later if we missed any. They can be seen directly in his Google drive or downloaded and watched from your computer. Link for them is : http://tinypic.com/r/9u51jt/9
Lesson from yesterday is last, called 31__12__Against Precision.

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 04:21:54 PM »
Beats me. I just clicked on
http://ocp.radio12345.com/
and it wants to give me  a weather forecast!
Ken

OliverC

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • OCP Super-Precision
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 05:04:14 PM »
Ken,

It only comes on when I fire the server up, about 30 minutes before my lessons starts, and I turn it off as soon as the lesson ends. I've no idea what it displays when I'm not actively teaching, but I suspect it's an advert of some sort.

listen2myradio.com works best with Chrome, from my experience, but whatever you use, you need to have Flash loaded.

Most of the actual teaching part of my lessons is done via chat, but I tend to answer questions and comment on example and practice hands via voice. The advantage of listen2myradio, for me, is that (1) it's totally 1-way, from me to the students, so (2) there are no bandwidth issues and (3) it's completely independent of BBO so I'm not obliged to use the browser client for teaching (yet).

Oliver
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 05:08:06 PM by OliverC »
Oliver (OliverC)
IAC Website Obergruppenfuhrer

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 06:16:23 PM »
I was using Chrome last night when I attended your talk. I clicked on the link Sanya sent. No audio. Later, someone else sent me a message asking if I had audio and I said no. He (or she) didn't have it either so thre were two of us at least. I have the latest Flash.

These things seems to vary in unpredictable ways. I used to happily use Firefox. But the online version of BBO does not seem to work well with Firefox, at least not on my computer (Dell computer on Windows 10) .  So I have been using Chrome more. Now there is a new issue. Yahoo seems to be very resourceful in inserting itself. As of today, when I open a new tab it announces itself to be New Tab by Yahoo. I had learned how to banish Yahoo on Firefox, I have not yet figured out how to do it on Chrome. I generally distrust any application, or whatever it is called, that does things that I had never, to my knowledge, asked it to do. Ok, probably I clicked something, but I did not intend to.  Yahoo is at the top of my list of programs that seem to make choices for me, I don't like that, so I banish it whenever I can.

Anyway, back to bridge. Precision and I are probably incompatible, some marriages just don't work, but I would very much enjoy the opportunity to play against it more often than I do. This club seems like a good place for it to happen. And for chat.

I know you advocated keeping 1D-(2D) as Michaels but do any play it  like a weak jump overcall? There is no jump of course, but something like KQTxxx with a bit outside. With a serious overcall, such as KQTxxx and a decent amount outside, one can afford to wait a round and come in with diamonds later if it still seems right. My thinking for an immediate 2D on the WJO sort of hand goes like this. The 1D is on a hand unsuitable for 1NT, wrong shape or wrong count. Fairly often it is wrong shape.  Often, not always but often, such a hand then would have quite long or quite short diamonds. Sometimes four diamonds and the wrong range for 1NT, but it often more shapely, either long or short.  When opener is long, second hand will seldom have the KQTxxx so this will not arise. When opener  is short, then such a six card holding in second hand  is a good deal more likely. And, at non-Precision tables, the auction might well begin with 1C, over which the call will be 2D. If it is one of those hands where opener has four diamonds but the wrong count for 1NT, we may still survive if we have a decent six card suit and the four diamonds are on our right.
No doubt this has been thought of by others,  and maybe the cost in giving up Michaels is just seen as too high, but it seemed like a sensible idea.

Added: Maybe this depends on how often a hand is opened 1D with short diamonds. Suppose opener has one diamond. If he had five in a major he would open 1M. If he is 4/3 in the majors and has five clubs does he open 2C? If the only time the hand is opened 1D on a stiff is when he is exactly 4=4=1=4 then my thinking is not so good since the case will not arise often. [Ah, I looked it up. Could be longish but weak clubs, so thus no 2C opener.]

« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 08:46:27 PM by kenberg »
Ken

OliverC

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • OCP Super-Precision
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 09:35:38 AM »
As I said during the lesson, Ken, my own experience (gleaned over the course of 4 decades of playing Precision and then OCP and playing against Precision a fair amount) is that treating a Precision 1 !D Opener as natural where your defensive bids are concerned works well enough. Yes, I've played against some people who bid 2 !D with a Diamond suit (and consequently confuse the hell out of Partner who thinks they're showing a Michaels hand), but passing and then showing your Diamonds works well enough as a tactic, in my view.

The other point I'd make is this: The Precision 1 !D Opening is inevitably weighted towards the Minors. Yes, Opener can have 4-4 in the Majors but that's the MOST they can have there. Yes, Opener can have short Diamonds (theoretically a void, but that's very rare), but more often than not they will have a 4+-card Diamond suit. On a balance of probabilities, do you really think it's worthwhile coming in immediately to show a Diamond suit of your own? The only time you (as 2nd-in-hand) are not going to get a chance to pass and then bid Diamonds is if 1 !D is passed out.

Yes, occasionally it will happen that 1 !D is passed out and you'll have something better on in Diamonds your way, but I really think that's the exception that proves the rule, because it's only when you can make 5 !D vulnerable, and taking them 5 or 6 off not vulnerable is insufficient compensation. Seriously, how often is that going to happen. Certainly, basing your bidding strategy around that possibility is not sensible, statistically.
Oliver (OliverC)

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 12:27:13 PM »
My thinking was not that we could reach 5D but rather that a bid of 2D on something like KQTxxx and and maybe an outside Kx or QJx would serve the same purpose as bidding 2D with that hand when a std am player on my right opens 1C. It interferes some with their auction, and suggests that in a part score battle we may want to contest the auction to 3D.

But I agree that it is a matter of frequency, starting with the obvious: Just how often do I hold a hand such as I describe and hear my rho open 1D, Precision? If the answer is about as often as we see seventeen year locusts, then probably this would not be a good idea. I expect that whenever I do hold such a hand, it's a pretty good bet that my rho has opened on short diamonds.

I would very much like to have a place for discussion of defense against Precision. I made a number of errors in the Sunday tourney last night but there as one where I think my interpretation is normal: On my left there is a Precision 1C, then 1D on my right, and 1NT on my left alerted as 16-18. Now partner came in with 2C. We are (well, I think we are) playing DONT over a strong  1NT opening and this seems to be pretty much a strong 1NT opening so I figured that whatever we were playing over strong NT openings applied here. It was not so intended. We landed on our feet anyway, but this is the sort of thing that could be discussed.

You have a place for Precision, or more generally big club, discussion but I was reluctant to bring up defenses to big clubs there.

One of my errors (nothing to do with Precision): 2H(weak)-2NT(Ogust)-3S(good hand good suit)-4S-? I was the 2H opener, I had seven hearts (red against white, suit of KQxxxxx) with a stiff spade. Who cares what I have? I needed to pass. I didn't. Yes, partner might have started with 2S (forcing over 2H) but upon reflection I think what he did was fine. He wants to play in spades, he bids Ogust, if I have a bad hand he signs off in 3S, if I have a good hand he bids 4S. Makes sense, my error.

Life gets immensely simpler once one gives up the need to be right all the time, but I do like to look things over afterward objectively. I have been hoping this site might promote that, but so far the participation is minimal.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 12:31:44 PM by kenberg »
Ken

OliverC

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • OCP Super-Precision
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2017, 04:17:52 PM »
Hi Ken,

Given our apparent difficulty in attracting more than a mere handful of IAC Members to take part in here, I can't see much point at the moment in expending the number of forums, half of which are waiting for a first message in them anyway. Suggest you just raise issues to do with defenending against precision in here, the Problem Hands board or the Precision board.
Oliver (OliverC)