Author Topic: Master Solvers Club: July 2019  (Read 8134 times)

Masse24

• View Profile
Master Solvers Club: July 2019
« on: June 03, 2019, 11:37:47 AM »
July MSC

One week remains. Get your MSC thinking caps on.

July MSC problems can be found here: https://www.bridgeworld.com/indexphp.php?page=/pages/msc/mastersolversmainpage.html
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 02:40:56 PM by Curls77 »
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

Masse24

• View Profile
Re: Master Solvers Club, posts up to July 2019
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2019, 11:33:02 PM »
July guesses:

PROBLEM A: 3NT. Close. My second choice, 3 !D , is too heavy. But the 3NT indicating a solid !D suit is not quite as “solid” as I would like.

PROBLEM B: 3NT. My second choice, a rather esoteric 3 !H, should pigeonhole my shape (two !S ) and willingness to cooperate further or play the 5-2 !S fit.

PROBLEM C: 5 !C. To double then pull partner’s 4 !S to 5 !C to show this hand does not appeal to me. Also, 5 !C (minimally) protects my !D honor.

PROBLEM D: Dbl. What else? [ADDED]: Although I stayed with my first choice, I think 2 !H is very close. It is not too strong for a 2 !H overcall, in my opinion.

PROBLEM E: 3 !D. I am torn on this one (what’s new?). Partner is probably short in !D. Because partner is not flat (see BWS and note on Problem F). I am tempted to try a Walsh type 2 !S , which should deny four !S , but show Hxx and an invite. But how Walshy is BWS?

PROBLEM F: 1NT. A beginnerish call--today I’m a beginner. A race to 1NT—and this will be the explanation by a few of the panel. It’s MP. My second choice is to pass! [ADDED]: The lack of a !S bid from anyone at the table is enough to push me to choose 1NT. This is a "first to 1NT wins" hand.

PROBLEM G: Pass. A possible misfit with partner. Second choice is 2 !D .

PROBLEM H: !H T. Second choice is obviously one of the Aces, but which one? !C A would be a good choice . . . to get a peek at the dummy. Not a tactic I often use. [ADDED] I changed my mind here--going with the !C Ace. I'd lead the !H 10 against 1S-4S, but this preempt auction is different. The !C Ace is less likely to blow a trick directly because any opposing picture cards in clubs are most likely not on my right. The !H 10 might allow a declarer to dump a loser, too. (The !H 10 will be the runaway solver choice.) Admittedly, this is a high variance action.

First guesses. Will look again in a day or so, after some of the IAC cognoscenti chime in! :)

SUBMITTED BELOW ANSWERS:

SOLUTIONS FOR:
Todd Holes
Glen Ellyn IL
U.S.A.

PROBLEM A: 3 Notrump
PROBLEM B: 3 Notrump
PROBLEM C: 5 Clubs
PROBLEM D: Double
PROBLEM E: 3 Diamonds
PROBLEM F: 1 Notrump
PROBLEM G: Pass
PROBLEM H: Club Ace

« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 03:48:36 AM by Masse24 »
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

wackojack

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2019, 01:20:39 PM »
Submitted

A   3N wtp?

B   My very first look up of BWS noting that 1m-2 !S is a Flannery type response.  I have a good 14, so I must either bid game or make a forcing bid.  I also assume that with 1444 partner would open 1  !D.  3  !H must be looking for more info and partner may get the message to bid 4  !S with 6 and 3NT with 5 but I am not taking the chance  I bid 3NT.

C   !C

D   Double

E   Partner is likely to have 6  !C + 4  !S so misfit. I cannot rule out that a Moysian 4  !S might make or 3NT but I am going for the low road.  I bid  1NT

F    1NT

G  !D as all other bids look worse

H Crossed my mind to make an unusual lead like 2 !D, but rejected it.  A passive  10  !H.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 01:30:30 PM by wackojack »

drac

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2019, 08:11:46 PM »
SOLVER: Wladislaus Dragwlya
        Castrum Sex
        Romania

Your Solutions for the July 2019 Contest
-------------------
PROBLEM E: 2 Notrump
PROBLEM G: 1 Notrump
PROBLEM H: Heart 10

smerriman

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2019, 12:45:53 AM »
A: 3NT. Too good for 3D, but doesn't seem much use in jumping to 3C.
B: 3NT. But what does 2NT mean in this sequence? I don't like the idea of 2NT being a signoff. I asked this on the BBO forums a few months ago and everyone had a different opinion. I liked the last idea of a max with doubleton spade, which this is.. but since I don't expect my partner to know what 2NT means either, I'll just bid the game.
C: 5C - can't see any alternative.
D: Dbl - also can't see any alternative.
E: 1N, but equally torn between about 4 different bids.
F: 1N - if they have 7 tricks, good for them.
G: Pass, though it's quite a gamble.
H: HT like everyone else.

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2019, 12:30:32 PM »
I keep telling myself that I need to stop this procrastination but I never get around to it.

SOLVER: Ken Berg

-------------------

Here I figure I must be missing something. As I see it, this is what 3NT shows and it's what I have.

I suppose there might be something to be said for 2H. Can partner be 6-4 and bid this way, or would he then bid 2H over the 2D? I decided I don't care, if he is 6-4 it should play fine in spades. And I assume he will not pass 3NT if he is 6-4. I also assume that  if he is 5-4 in the majors then his bid over 2D would have been 2H, so 6-4 is the only issue.

As has been noted, it's not all that great a bid but I don't see any reasonable alternative

If partner bids 3S I will bid 3NT, that should give him a reasonable idea of what I have, and if he bids 4S over my double, not all that likely but possible, I would be tempted to bid 5D.

PROBLEM E: 2 Spades

Todd asked just how Walshy BWS is and the answer is perhaps pretty Walshy but with exceptions.  My thinking is that if pard has a minimum then he will pass and this could well be the right contract. If he has more I would  like it if he allows for other contracts than 4S but is he doesn't, it still could be the right contract.

This is a very frustrating hand. And it also gets to just how Walshy BWS is. With a dedicated Walshite I might well consider 2C since he will have five clubs to bid this way. But BWS, while saying that pard cannot be 4=4=2=3 doesn't rule out 4=4=1=4. Of course it also does not seem to rule out 2=4=3=4, in which case 2D is right. I assume partner, if 1=4=2=6, will get us out of NT at his turn. And yes, I would like the NT to be played from his side. Among other things, he would have to play it. Maybe 1S is right, I think 1S is some sort of wishy-washy call, not necessarily showing spades and not game forcing. I should look that up.

PROBLEM G: 2 Diamonds

Pard would make a negative double with four spades and a six count so I am not really enthusiastic about leaving this in. I bid a pessimistic 2D.

PROBLEM H: Spade 8

Yes, I know, this might pickle partner's Q, But all leads have issues, I think this is the least likley to help declarer and maybe it cuts down on ruffs. In the old days that 4S call showed five spades but not I think it is often done with four spades and a stiff. If we can hold him to, say, two ruffs we might beat this
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 01:02:48 PM by kenberg »
Ken

bAbsG

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2019, 06:50:26 PM »
SOLVER: Babs Giesbrecht
       Qualicum Beach BC
       Canada

-------------------
PROBLEM D: 2 Hearts
PROBLEM E: 2 Diamonds
PROBLEM G: Pass
PROBLEM H: Heart 10

Congratulations Todd!!  Right up there are the top of the leaderboard once more.   Very cool!!!!

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2019, 01:27:20 AM »
SOLVER: Todd Holes
        Glen Ellyn IL
        U.S.A.

-------------------
PROBLEM A: 3 Notrump       100
PROBLEM B: 3 Notrump       100
PROBLEM C: 5 Clubs            100
PROBLEM D: Double            100
PROBLEM E: 3 Diamonds     100
PROBLEM F: 1 Notrump       100
PROBLEM G: Pass                 80
PROBLEM H: Club Ace         100

TOTAL ---------------------   780

A very, very good month. My highest single month total ever and second highest placing (third). But did my rationale coincide with the panel's? Looking forward to the Bridge World to arrive in a week.

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2019, 02:32:19 PM »
Collapsing in the home stretch:

Ken Berg

PROBLEM A: 3 Notrump     100
PROBLEM B: 3 Notrump     100
PROBLEM C: 5 Clubs          100
PROBLEM D: Double           100
PROBLEM E: 2 Spades        100
PROBLEM F: 1 Notrump      100
PROBLEM G: 2 Diamonds      60
PROBLEM H: Spade 8             0

Not too tough to do the addition :)   660
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 11:43:19 AM by kenberg »
Ken

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2019, 05:07:02 PM »

PROBLEM E: 2 Spades
Todd asked just how Walshy BWS is and the answer is perhaps pretty Walshy but with exceptions.  My thinking is that if pard has a minimum then he will pass and this could well be the right contract. If he has more I would  like it if he allows for other contracts than 4S but is he doesn't, it still could be the right contract.

Ken, I was chicken to try this. I'm impressed you went out on a limb. Interesting that both 3 !D and 2 !S received a score of 100. I actually like the 2 !S more.

jcreech

• View Profile
Re: Master Solvers Club: July 2019
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2019, 11:59:46 PM »
Monster Point winners for:

July, 2019         
Name      BW Points   MP Award   MP Bonus
Masse24      780           20           10
smerriman   680           15   
kenberg      660           10   
wackojack    660           10   
bAbsG        650   660        1   10
DrAculea      640           1   
and four private participants      1 each   

Corrected after putting together a spreadsheet to automate scoring - apologies to bABsG for the missed kudo
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 10:41:56 AM by jcreech »
A stairway to nowhere is better than no stairway at all.  -Kehlog Albran