Author Topic: 2024 JUNE MSC  (Read 366 times)

Masse24

• View Profile
2024 JUNE MSC
« on: April 04, 2024, 11:05:49 PM »
JUNE 2024 MSC
Deadline: APRIL 30 at 11:59 p.m. (ET)

Submit your JUNE MSC responses here: The Bridge World - MASTER SOLVERS CLUB

BWS 2017 System: BWS 2017
BWS 2017 POLLS, CHANGES AND ADDITIONS: BWS 2017 - Polls, Changes, and Additions
  • Bridge World Standard 2017 (BWS or BWS2017) is effective beginning with the January 2017 Master Solvers' Club problems. This page shows (1) the results of the panelist polls that were used to adjust the system; and (2) the changes in and the additions to Bridge World Standard 2001 (BWS2001) that were made.
    In the listings of the questions and answers, an asterisk indicates the BWS2001 agreement; the proportion of the expert votes for each item, rounded to the nearest percent, is shown in brackets.

IAC Forum MSC Scores

If you post to The Bridge World you will receive a confirmation immediately and by email. It is preferred that you copy/paste that confirmation as it is easy to read due to the formatting. (Thanks!)

Also, if you post to The Bridge World those will be your official bids. If you make a mistake (try not to as it has happened), you must live with it.

“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

blubayou

• IACAdmins
  • lifelong director [1977-2010] and haunter of ACBL
    • View Profile
Re: 2024 JUNE MSC
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2024, 06:58:11 PM »
problem A:>>  mm..  our convention has put me [n a weird sort of hot seat, compared to the souths who can simply raise 1NT.  Of course THOSE N-S pairs will never hear that heart noise from West as they are bidding to 3NT before he gets his 2nd turn to bid.(Down three as he runs his solid 7-bagger--hehehe)
   We cannot pass now, as partner will decide we have a club "drop-dead". That seems to leave us with only "double" and "3NT" to choose from. I rule out 3NT maybe giving too much credit for his "time-bomb" 3 !H .  But i am fascinated by the thought that "3 !S " must mean a 3-carder with 8,9, 0r 10 minor cards + 9 hcp.  Then partner can do something intelligent.  I hope his intelligent choice isn't leaving in the double I failed to make ::)

problem B:>>  AQ8x, ATxxxx, xx, x...(pass) 1H, (pass), 2H; (3Clubs), ___?  So "double is not a game try...Let's hope the "LAW" bid of 3 Hearts also is not--but regardless that's what I am calling.  What the heck! If pard accepts this blocking bid with 2 major kings and some irrelevant other facecards we might just make an 18-point game
                                                  --- Three Hearts---
« Last Edit: April 10, 2024, 07:09:58 PM by blubayou »
often it is better to beg forgiveness, than ask permission

DickHy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2024, 03:10:22 PM »
While idly preparing for a cricket trip tomorrow, some thoughts (not necessarily helpful):

A.  Pass.  After I’ve invited and partner has shown a maximum opening hand, aren’t we in a GF situation?  If so, a forcing pass from me allows partner to bid 3N with a heart stop or bid clubs without one.  Supposing we are GF, would a x of 3 !H show a partial stop (3N showing a full one)? 

B.  3 !H (x?).  2N is not available, so presumably a re-raise to 3 !H is no longer pre-emptive.  What does a double of 3 !C show – shortage and a GI kind of hand?  OK, I’m just making that up ‘cos it fits.

C.  Pass.  Am I likely to improve the situation by bidding?  I have three tricks for partner and he might find the club 9 useful.  I could speculate in spades but partner’s Hxx (supposing he’s that good) is going to be under East.  Shame there’s not a negative x available – can we change the rules?

D.  4 !C.  Suppose N is 40(54) and 13 HCP, that leaves E with 13.  If he has AQ in one black suit, A in the other, QJT in diamonds and three hearts, 3N will make.  Should I be bidding 4 !C as a sacrifice, white v red?  Of course, folks don’t always have what they bid …

E.  2 !C/3 !CBWS: a one-notrump response [to a 1m opening] shows 6-10 points.  In response to one diamond: two clubs is forcing to game; three clubs is invitational.  Will the MSC panel really stick to this scheme and bid 3 !C?  If I would have opened this hand, I should bid 2 !C.  I’m a sucker for paired jack-tens, so probably would have opened white v red.

F.  3 !H.  At the table I’d bid 3 !H without much hesitation.  A more measured approach (2 !D – 3 !C/2N) is probably going to involve a 3 !H bid from me next, so why give information away?

G.  Pass.  Partner is a passed hand, looks short in hearts and probably has a club trick.  Defending for a penalty seems more likely to produce a positive score than declaring in hearts.  I’m not sure about partner’s double tho’ – could it show spades and diamonds?  Does it matter: if it’s a 20/20 (ish) hand – looking for a penalty still seems best.

H.  Spade Q.  I’d play this at the table pretty briskly (Kantar’s happy to lead that from a near-perfect sequence).  Will a diamond really help partner more?  Showing my suit ought to help the defence and might convince declarer that the club king is with N.

blubayou

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2024, 05:38:25 PM »
Dick!  Glad to hear from you as always,  but you have missed the nasty little points of the hints in both A and B  :P .  in A passing 3H means you were uaing t convention to bail out in club partial...So a disciplined partner will never act again except possibly to raise your phantom club suit to four  with AQx.  Not many imps to be won there even if you make it  ;) .
   On B, you tortured yourself, hopefully briefly wondering if X of 3 !C  was game-invitational!  The hint was entirely dedicated to letting us know that this is not the case.....But all's well as we chose 3 !H  as the quiz answer anyway 8)
  On C, Iam with you --chapter and-verse.
  As for #D! I cannot wrap my head around having a spade void here!!  This could be very very bad for our chances on defense, or it could mean we can BUThCER his 3NT noise running minors. more news on about April 30th ???
.........On April 19th, I am doubling.  Cannot sit this out and let partner reopen four spades wit a 5-card stack behind him.  We may need to run a bunch of minors or have dummy's hearts be not-running whic is not that desperate.
On the lead problem Dick-- I couldn't have said it better!  hope we get the 100 here.  :) :D ;D
« Last Edit: April 19, 2024, 06:23:24 PM by blubayou »

blubayou

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2024, 06:54:39 PM »
part two.... 
   PROBLEM E:>>  The "1 !D , 2 !C " auction should NOT  be part of the TwoOverOneGameForce agreement.  That was true for many of us when 2/1GF was very young, but rare now.  Since that is the case, I will stubbornly refuse to pretend this IS a game forcing hand and bid instead...
                                            --- Two NOTRUMP---  (98x, JTx, Ax, AQ9xx)

PROBLEM F:>> ( K9x, AJT222, x, Kxx  1 !C , 1 !H ;  1 !S , ---?)  I am not researcing wether or not "three hearts "is passable or not--This is textbook 4thSuitForce item--especially with King-third in both of partner's suits.
                                             ---Two Diamonds--,   unanimously

PROBLEM G:>>  why is this problem here??  Am I supposed to override partner with three and a half quicks,,on the slim excuse of having six hearts??   Stupidest quiz offering in 15 years!!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2024, 05:15:18 AM by blubayou »