Author Topic: Pairs event and Master (Monster) points  (Read 3349 times)

Raghavan

• View Profile
Pairs event and Master (Monster) points
« on: July 10, 2019, 06:59:14 PM »
Hi,

I am Raghavan, the IAC member.

I have suggestions for arranging Pairs events in IAC and award of Master (Monster) points.

Pairs to be played at fixed time and day. - at the availability of TDs.
Suggest> For IAC members, 1 pair event to suit the Western part of the world and another to suit the eastern part of the world every day.
(Other pairs can be run -open to all in BBO -but without award of MPs. Team events also may be played as per the suitability of TDs and players.)

For Masterpoints (Monster Points) only IAC members are permitted.
MPs are given with a formula depending on the number of participants and number of boards played. ( Winning in a 5 table event is not equal to winning in 15 table event.)
Calculation of MP = Number of Pairs divided by the number of boards.

On reaching a total of 50 MPs, - Master title. ( This number is to be decided by IAC
100 MPs senior Master,
150 MPs grand master etc ( you may change the names of titles)
MP are awarded for each player. If Players A + B win means both get MP. Later A+ C win means both get MPs. Players need not be always the same pairs can interchange. This will help in more participation.

This is for your information and action if u deem it good.

With Regards
Dr. Raghavan.P.S.
Bridgeinindia@gmail.com
http://Bridgeinworld.com

Curls77

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Pairs event and Master (Monster) points
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2019, 07:38:37 PM »
Hi Raghavan  :)
All you proposed is great, but I am afraid it does not meet IAC reality. (and I wish I get proven wrong).
IAC has just half dozen TDs, currently only one is running trnys once a week. I took some weeks off then I will resume my trnys, but neither is just "normal" pairs event. All other TDs are unable to commit to responsabillity of holding regular scheduled event, let alone daily; they run spur team matches only when they happen to be available.
And more, we really do not have TDs, nor scheduled events oriented for australia/ asia time zones. Not because we do not want, we try hard, but there are just no volunteers to run anything, and very few members online at so called "no prime-time".

Having in mind that neither listed bellow depends on size of the event (IAC exclusive trnys are considered great success if they get 8 tables), current scheme for IAC Monster points is:
a) for pairs tournament, first 3 places get 5, 3 and 1 MP respectively, for each pard in the pair.
b) for individual tournament, first 5 placed get 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1 MP .  Similar is for survivor pair tourneys, even tho they are open for non-IAC members, we'll give 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 to best placed 5 IAC pairs.
c) winning a team match, spur or not, brings 4 MPs to each player of winning team, or 2 MPs to everyone if there was a tie.
d) for Dare trnys, only declarers that made board given to their side get MPs. this one is bit more complicated.

By coincidence, we are just discussing to open new category for MP that will not include playing, but participation in Master Solver Club here in IAC forums ( http://iac.pigpen.org.uk/smf/index.php?board=19.0 ) .

And for the end, IAC Monster Points are really "worthless", but winning them is fun and brings up prestige within a club, more you play, more you can win  ;D Their main purpose is to promote joining IAC events and increase participation. Members can see Hall of Fame page at IAC site, where we list who was best in last season, the top ones almost reaching 1000 MPs.
Any suggestions or comments are very welcome  !H