Author Topic: With a little bit of bloomin' luck  (Read 2580 times)

kenberg

• View Profile
With a little bit of bloomin' luck
« on: April 13, 2017, 01:28:46 PM »
In My Fair Lady, Alfred Doolittel sings of good fortune. He might have had the hand below in mind.

http://tinyurl.com/lahsyek

There is a lot to be said for passing partner's opening 1D, but the modern style seems to be to bid on with any excuse and so 1 responded 1S. Now the die is cast. Partner of course reversed into 2H, a one round force.  Now what about 2S?

mikeh has, in my opinion, a very useful discussion of reverses in the BBO Intermediate/Advanced Forum. See

http://www.bridgebase.com/forums/topic/18177-a-primer-on-reverse-bidding/

"2♠ is a one round force, but it may be weak. This apparent paradox arises from the fact that the 2♥ was forcing, so responder has to bid, and using 2N as a weakness bid makes no sense when responder wants/needs to show long ♠s. So responder will rebid 2♠ without in any way limiting his hand."
Not everyone agrees that 2S is forcing, and on this hand I might well wish that it isn't, but I think Mike's description reflects the general consensus. And I think it is best in the long run. So 2S it is. Partner likes this call, to put it mildly, and splinters to 4C. This is doubled and I am just hoping to not do anything that might encourage partner so I pass. Partner bids 4S and we are done, now all I have to do is make it.

As the cards lie, there is no defense. The opening lead is, as requested by the X, a club. Assuming spades are 3-2 I can take either four spades and four hearts or, if a heart is ruffed, five spades and three hearts. The club K and a club ruff brings me to ten tricks. If N continues with a second club after winning the A, I have to take the K rather than ruff on the board, or at least I think I have to, but of course she switched to a D. This will set me if I have two diamonds, but I have the stiff so all is well. And of course if a club is not the opening lead I can go after diamonds. They are 3-3 so this also works!

Partner and I had never played before, so we were winging it a bit. With my Standard American f2f partner I have only recently convinced him that we need some sort of discussion about reverses. I will probably send him this hand. Of course it is a lucky hand, very lucky. What I take from that is that whatever agreements you have, you will sometimes also need luck. Still, agreements are good.

I have long believed that bridge players underestimate how often good fortune, or bad fortune, determines results. It might be fun to post a few hands illustrating this.

Stick with me baby I'm the fellow you came in with, luck be a lady tonight--- Sky Masterson in Guys and Dolls.

Ken