Author Topic: web version of BBO  (Read 13140 times)

Curls77

• Administrator
    • View Profile
web version of BBO
« on: April 08, 2017, 06:19:00 PM »
For those of you that were just recently pushed from old BBO windows client to its web version, we made little "How to" at http://iac-at-web-bbo.site123.me.

Hopefully tips there will help you thorough the transition from old windows client into web version of BBO, so you can keep playing your favorite game and chat with your friends.
Learn how to find IAC room and trny, how to set team match, save hands from bidding table, listen to the teachers that use voice, etc etc.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

There is separate site with tips related only to tournament tool at web BBO.
http://iac-td-web-bbo.site123.me/

ian84

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
Re: web version of BBO
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 09:44:28 AM »
For those who still like the old BBO Client, and need a copy it is I believe still available to download from BBO, though BBO themselves are actively discouraging its use by not making the link below easily available. In 2017 BBO declared its intention to phase it out completely, but there are still certain functions used by clubs that are still not available in the Web version, which they would need to sort out before they do so (asof today 7 April 2018, that still hasn't happened).

http://online.bridgebase.com/intro/download.php

If this link disappears I have a copy of the download, which can be made available for an extortionate fee  ;D
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids

Curls77

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 11:29:53 AM »
Ian, it's not enough anymore to just have the setup.
Ever since February 2017, unless player is on special list they are not able to use windows client.

ian84

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2018, 12:32:57 PM »
Ahh so BBO have created a white list for the Netbridge server, I guess

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 01:07:30 PM »
Fwiw, I can log on to BBO using the old downloadable version. Am I on some list? I have no idea. "I've got a little list..." Gilbert and  Sullivan

One of the things that the downloadable does is to list all upcoming tournaments, days in advance, as soon as they are created. The online version seems to not list them until about 2 hours before they run. Or, if there is a way to get the further off ones to appear, I don't know how to do it.

But that's a minor issue. I use the online version because BBO asks me to. I suppose it helps them with their advertising. When my wife does online shopping I get advertisements for women's dresses when I log on. The software seems to be really good at tracking whatever it is we search for. So far this has not led to any embarrassment.  Maybe I should search for old Madonna  performances on YouTube and see what sort of ads I get. At one point I did get some ads for some very strange swim wear.
Ken

Curls77

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 07:04:11 PM »
LOL Ken !!
Well, I use ad-block and do not get any advertisement, tyG. But if you are able to use old BBO client, you are on the list. Either coz Pam put you there or maybe when there was fight in BBO forums u spoke too loud and they let you be?
:) In any case, that is just temporary, old windows client will die.

ian84

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 08:34:38 PM »
I'm guessing that BBO may have taken the Netbridge logins that were still active when they 'switched off' the BBO-Client. I'll see if Robbie the Robot has any luck - I'll put down a pound to say he won't be allowed in.

OliverC

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • OCP Super-Precision
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 09:22:01 AM »
Your money is safe :)
Oliver (OliverC)
IAC Website Obergruppenfuhrer

ggriffin0

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2018, 10:46:49 PM »
FWIW. The old client is still available to a select few AND besides adblocker there is this little itty bitty technique of getting rid of ads called: use an old computer and refuse to update java. :) I found this out the hard way when I updated java. system restored to an earlier version when the ads started working :)

Masse24

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2018, 05:39:07 PM »
Ian, you can petition to join the "white list" you refer to.
Send an e-mail to BBO explaining your difficulty in seeing the cards on the web version, and that you would prefer to use the Windows version until it is finally, mercifully laid to rest. 
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

Curls77

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2018, 06:21:04 PM »
bbo_iac can ask for any IAC TD to be added to the list, because all club management, and exclusive tourneys must be done via old windows client. Neither web nor android versions of BBO have any tool to manage clubs. Not that they care much about clubs (they wish them all gone), but same applies for vugraph operators.
So, until they make a version that will include such tools, old windows client won't really die.
It does surprise tho, that they need so much time to do it.

ian84

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2018, 10:34:21 AM »
Todd my Ian84 Id is allowed to use the old version by virtue of the fact that I'm a registered TD. Robbie the Robot was NOT allowed, so I get to keep my money. I also have a secret alterego but as that BBO-id is not a registered TD, I suspect he won't be allowed either. Which isnt a problem, since I only use the id to talk or play undisturbed with a few friends.