Author Topic: Differences and conversion tips between the BBO Windows client and Web version  (Read 4651 times)

ian84

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
1. Chatlogs
In the Windows client, you can set it so your chatllog is automatically written continuously to a file on your computer. The Web version doesnt have this facility. In order to save a chatlog on the web version, right click in the chatlog, then press 'Ctrl+A' to select all the text, then 'Ctrl+C' to copy it to your pasteboard. Now open an MS-Word or Open source clone, left click at the start of the first page, then click on 'Edit/Paste Special then select 'Unformatted text'. You can now use 'File/Save As' to specify the filename and directory to use to store your new doc. If you just use 'File' it will store the doc to the default directory used by the application.

2. Chat management
Users such as Teachers, Teaching Assistants and TDs made use of a really good little chat management package called Keyfast to create scripts that could be sent to the chatbox either 1 click at a time or could be automated. The fact that the Keyfast software was a pirated copy of a version specially developed and given to the owner of the BIL club is niether here nor there, everyone used it :)

The web offering, the BBO Chat Manager is adequate for most peoples needs, the main drawback to it is that it supports only 1 file of chat-lines. Also, there are some very sophisticated features within Keyfast which some of the BIL teaching assistants use which cannot be emulated in the Web version, and is thus their main reason for sticking with the 'old' version.  Keyfast itself doesn't work on the Web version (or at least not the pirate copy that everyone has).

Other solutions: Many teachers like to prepare their teaching scripts as a Word doc, and copy and paste line-by-line from the Word doc into the chatbox on BBO. this has the benefit of being able to organise your files, but can be a little clunky switching between the Word doc and the BBO session.

3. Club facilities
In the old Windoze client, the Club-Owner BBO-Id is given extra capabilities on its associated table. There is a text file attached to the table, in which the BBO-Ids of all the Club members are stored. For Private clubs, this then allows only those Ids into the Club room, and can also be used to control admittance into Club tournaments. These membership control functions can be emulated on the BBO Web version, where an external text file needs to be created and utilised. This usually means that Creation of Club tournaments and events can only be done by one computer unless you duplicate the Club membership file across several computer, or use a shared file.

However, the major facility that is missing from the Web version is the ability to broadcast (by chat-only, chat+mail, or mail only) to the Club membership. In the Web version you can Chat 'To Club', but this in fact only transmits your chat message to those that are in the Club room at the time. And you can put out a mailshot to the entire club, but it requires the creation of a distribution list containing the name of each club member within the My BBO Manage friends function

(more to follow)

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids

OliverC

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • OCP Super-Precision
Ian,

Chat Management
I really do not think it is a good idea for you to be suggesting the use of pirated software anywhere let alone in this forum. The fact that "everyone else is doing it" is no justification, especially when there is a pair of extremely good freeware utilities (Chat Assistant and AlertHelper) written by Roger Pfister (RogerPfi on BBO, http://rogerpf.com ) specifically for use with the BBO Windows Client (Chat Assistant) or for use with the BBO Browser Client (AlertHelper). These are fully-featured, share the same format of files (which can also be edited with any configurable text editor). These were both written from the ground up specifically for use on BBO and are really well thought out and slick.

Why persuade people to break the law when there is absolutely no need? I've been doing all of my teaching for years using Chat Assistant. I also do 90% of my alerting using it. You can set individual "chats" to go to any and/or all of:
  • The Alert Box
  • The Room
  • Kibitzers
  • Opps
Club Facilities
What you write is true, and it's the principle reason why Club Admins /Teachers are still allowed to use the Windows Client. Hopefuly Uday will incorporate all of the needed functions for managing Clubs, doing announcements to Club Members etc in the Browser Client before he finally turns off support for the Windows client.
Oliver (OliverC)
IAC Website Obergruppenfuhrer

ian84

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
Hi Oliver,
    It was certainly not my intention to promote the use of the pirate copy of Keyfast, in fact I led the effort to have it removed as a tool used by the BIL volunteers while I was a member of that club. My intention was merely to explain the history. Thx for the tip about Roger's software, which I was unaware of. I looked for quite a while for a suitable replacement for Keyfast and found nothing that was economically viable.

OliverC

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • OCP Super-Precision
The great thing about Roger's utilities is
  • They work flawlessly
  • They are written by a Bridge player, specifically for use on BBO
  • They are very configurable and flexible.
  • Roger is always happy to make improvements and to accept suggestions for changes.
  • They're genuine freeware and the author is frequently available on BBO and almost always available on Skype for tech support and advice.
Roger, by the way, is the brainchild behind the aaBridge utility which is an absolutely fantastic learning tool. He also initiated the recording of some teaching sessions (eg: all of my OCP ones and some others on request) and puts them up on YouTube on dedicated channels. Charlene (GG_Bridge) now does most of the actual recording of my sessions. I think there are currently two channels: One for IAC generally and one specifically for OCP that pulls together my BBO Lessons along with the voice commentary I'm making at the time via Listen2MyRadio.
Oliver (OliverC)
IAC Website Obergruppenfuhrer

ian84

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
Yes, Roger is a lovely guy and I have a lot of time for him. He helped to expand my knowledge of .lin programming a few years ago before I became ill. I really must get back to that as well as explore the AABridge software more. Sanja tells me that he's developed a hand generator which I think I'm likely to use heavily for my open mentoring session
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 10:05:50 AM by ian84 »