Author Topic: Different strokes  (Read 2315 times)

kenberg

• View Profile
Different strokes
« on: March 10, 2019, 05:30:23 PM »
It's well known that different people attach different meanings to the same sequence, and this holds true even if the general system 2/1 for example, is in use.  Perhaps it's worthwhile to accumulate some examples and if that sounds like an invitation to supply some of your own that's what I intend. I am thinking it would be good to have references.

Example: Uncontested 2/1 auction 1 !S - 3 !H.   
I was playing with the bots, and the bot alerted his 3 !H call as showing 6+ hearts and invitational values. That was a surprise to me, but I checked with Bridge World Standard and BWS agrees with the bot.  This brings up the obvious question, what then is 1!S - 1NT - 2m - 3 !H?  If not discussed, I would expect that to be 6+ hearts and invitational values.  Well, guess what. In the Master Solver's Club BWS explains. un the April 2019 contest they have an auction that begins 1 !S - 1NT - 2 !D -? YOu are to choose the bid, and they indicate that 3 !H  and 4 !C would be strong !D raises. You can see details at 
https://www.bridgeworld.com/indexphp.php?page=/pages/readingroom/bws/bwscompletesystem.html

Regardless of how you and your pard might play 1 !S - 3 !H the situation for 1 !S - 3 !C  is potentially different. Imagine that you are responder, partner has opened 1 !S and you have a 1=3=3=6 shape.  At least sometimes, this hand will play best in clubs. So how to bid it? Well, I have not yet stipulated the strength.  With game forcing strength, no problem, you bid 2 !C. Lacking game forcing strength you have a direct 3 !C available, and you have 1NT followed by 3 !C available, assuming partner's response to 1NT is at the 2 level.  For this I do not at them moment have references, but I am pretty sure that some play the direct 3 !C as the invitational strength with 6 clubs, and the slow bid of 1NT followed by 3 !C as the weaker bid. And others reverse that. And of course some play that 2 !C is a game force unless they rebid 3 !C, which they play as passable.

Anyway, this is the sort of thing I have in mind. I am not so much interested in the "right way" (of course who am I to argue with a bot). I am more interested in bringing out sequences that some, including some high level players,  play one way and some play differently.  If there is interest I'll add in some more as time goes by.

Ken