Author Topic: If Jim Croce played bridge  (Read 2081 times)

kenberg

• View Profile
If Jim Croce played bridge
« on: February 02, 2019, 04:08:59 PM »
Jim Croce had a song called "The hard way every time".  It came to mind after this hand:

!S  KQ73
!H  A982
!D  K62
!C  43

Matchpoints. Opponents  are vul, you are not, partner deals and opens 1 !C. The auction gets competitive:

Pard               Me
1 !C    1 !S      X     2 !H
  P      3 !D    3NT    P
  P       P

Notes: My X was negative, the 2 !H on my left was natural and non-forcing, my 3NT was to play.

LHO, the !H bidder, has !H QJT743. This gives him a problem that appears in textbooks but not so often in play. He led the !H Q for which  (quietly, to myself) I thanked him.

The hands: 
                                      !S  J862   
                                      !H  5
                                      !D  AQT     
                                      !C  AQ862

!S  void                                                       !S  AT954
!H  QJT743                                                  !H  K6
!D  73                                                         !D  J9854
!C  KJ975                                                   !C  T

!S  KQ73
                                  !H  A982
                                  !D  K62
                                  !C  43

You can see the problem caused by the opening lead of the !H Q from W.. What is E to do? No doubt he should play the K, hoping partner has at least QJT8xx but W doesn't have the 8. If E plays the K, I duck, and assuming E then returns the !H spot, I play the 9. W can take his T but now I hold the A8 and W holds Jxxx. He can't continue, and I can bring ion the contract. Textbooks suggest a low lead at T1  from holdings such as  W has when declarer is known to hold four cards. Maybe so. It would work here but I can say from experience it doesn't always.

Well, anyway, E played the 6, rather than the K.  Surely E did not start with Kxx, else he would have stayed in hearts. Probably he should have stayed in hearts with K6, but he didn't. So, after the play of the 6,  I trusted that the suit was blocked, and I took the A.

I  still need to find 9 tricks. Where are they?   Just go to the board in !D and lead the !S 8. Let it ride if not covered, if it is  covered take the Q return to the board and lead a small !S toward the K7x.  This produces three spade tricks and, when the !C finesse works, there are at least 9 tricks.  Following the Jim Croce  path, I found a harder way:

!C to the Q, !S to my K, !D to the A, !S to my Q. cash two more !D ending in hand, small !H to the K, E is in with only diamonds and spades in this hand.  He, takes two !D and is then forced to lead a !S giving me a third trick in that suit. 3+1+3+2=9. .

Ok, it worked but! 
Spot card can be useful. Spot cards can be useful. Spot cards can be useful.

If I had done this right I think there were some real possibilities for ten tricks once E blocks the !H suit. Of course we also could also have seriously punished 3 !D by doubling but 3NT seemed right at the time.

For you youngsters out there here is a link  to Croce

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47g1jS7G8OQ

There really is something to be said for W leading a small !H at T1 but if it goes wrong don't send me the bill.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 02:53:17 AM by kenberg »
Ken