Author Topic: A hand  (Read 7397 times)

kenberg

• View Profile
A hand
« on: April 07, 2017, 01:30:35 PM »
Here is a hand. I have left the participants names in since the only error, if there was an error, was mine.

http://tinyurl.com/kk4k3sg

Nobody got to 6H although as you can see there are 12 easy tricks.

E cashed his A and switched to a club.I played A and a small heart, so I would have made 6 even if E had a stiff heart. Easy enough.

The hands fit perfectly of course, and maybe it's not a surprise nobody was there.
One was in 6NT, that did not work so well!

Perhaps it is worth thinking about what I might have done.
1C-1H
1NT-2S
3H

This seems like a normal beginning.

If I want to try, I have to choose, over 3H,  between 4C and 4D. Bidding 4C is appealing but I am not sure that "bidding around the singleton" applies here. So maybe it has to be 4D. If that elicits 4S from partner we will get to 6H. Should S call 4S over the hypothetical 4D? Well, she could reason "I told him I am limited to 14 hcps and he is still interested, my hand cannot be better than it is. So ok, 4S."
 I did not offer this opportunity, so we will never know.

It occurs to me that I could have bid an nmf 2D over 1NT but I am not sure that's a good idea. Partner would bid 2H, I could show the club fit with 3C but now partner would bid 3S not only with this hand but also with a hand where her club Q is the club 3. In which case I do not want to be in 6.  Of course if I start with nmf and partner bids 3H, not 2H, maybe then we get there.

The above is equally applicable in Std Am or 2/1 agreements are irrelevant. If Precision folks want to use it to test their agreements, feel free. I assume S opens 1NT in OCP?

A further thought. There is another problem with the nmf auction 1C-1H-1NT-2D-2H-3C.
As most people lay, there are two reasons for bidding nmf. The most frequent is to find a major suit fit. The other is to make a minor suit slam try. So very possible the 3C over 2H would/should be taken as a slam try in clubs, not hearts. Imagine I have a strong hand, interested in slam, with only four hearts but with four clubs. What to do over the 1NT rebid? Nmf followed by 3C is the usual answer. I think the reverse into 2S is the right way to start.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 02:53:45 PM by kenberg »
Ken

OliverC

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • OCP Super-Precision
Re: A hand
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 03:18:10 PM »
Nice hand, and an instructive one, too.

Game All, Dealer South

North
 !S KQ93
 !H AK1082
 !D Q
 !C K105

South
 !S A64
 !H Q93
 !D J97
 !C AQJ2

1 !C - 1 !H
1NT - 2 !S
3 !H - ??

I think North at fault here, to be honest. The 2 !S bid (a reverse by Responder) is game-forcing in almost any system. That being the case, we should apply the principle of "Fast Arrival" to the 3 !H bid by South, ie: 3 !H is stronger and more encouraging (ie: slam-invitational) than 4 !H would be. That being the case, I feel North should be doing something other than timidly signing off in 4 !H .

At the end of the day what action that is depends largely on your cue-bidding style, but 3 !S or 4 !C must be cue-bids for Hearts (4 !C perhaps more unambiguous). Now when South doesn't show a Diamond Control, the value of North's Diamond singleton becomes apparent and North should have no further difficulty in pushing to the slam. So...

1 !C - 1 !H
1NT - 2 !S
3 !H - 4 !C // Cue
4 !S - 4NT // Spade Cue, no Diamond Control / RKCB
5 !S - 6 !H
All Pass

« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 04:06:39 PM by OliverC »
Oliver (OliverC)
IAC Website Obergruppenfuhrer

Masse24

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 09:11:24 PM »
I think North at fault here, to be honest. The 2 !S bid (a reverse by Responder) is game-forcing in almost any system. That being the case, we should apply the principle of "Fast Arrival" to the 3 !H bid by South, ie: 3 !H is stronger and more encouraging (ie: slam-invitational) than 4 !H would be. That being the case, I feel North should be doing something other than timidly signing off in 4 !H .

At the end of the day what action that is depends largely on your cue-bidding style, but 3 !S or 4 !C must be cue-bids for Hearts (4 !C perhaps more unambiguous). Now when South doesn't show a Diamond Control, the value of North's Diamond singleton becomes apparent and North should have no further difficulty in pushing to the slam. So...

1 !C - 1 !H
1NT - 2 !S
3 !H - 4 !C // Cue
4 !S - 4NT // Spade Cue, no Diamond Control / RKCB
5 !S - 6 !H
All Pass

This.
Though I prefer the 3 !S control, rather than 4 !C.

Also, while the 2 !S bid is almost universally played as a game-force, it does not necessarily promise a five card !H suit. In other words . . . "Fast Arrival" does not apply. The 2 !S rebid could simply be a means to force game while keeping the bidding low.

As an example, picture responder with this hand: !S KQ !H AKJT !D 2 !C KT9876 . . . and, he still goes through the 2 !S GF bid on the way to exploring slam in !C s.
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

OliverC

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • OCP Super-Precision
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 10:01:56 PM »

[1] Cuebidding Spades rather than Clubs
The only "problem" with 3 !S is that it might be misconstrued as showing 5-6 in the Majors rather than being a cue-bid for Hearts (and so Partner might just convert to 4 !H or 4 !S not realising it really was a slam try and not you're not sure how to proceed), whereas 4 !C is unmistakeably a cue-bid for Hearts.

[2] 1 !C - 1 !H - 1NT - 2 !S not a reverse
You really believe that? Words fail me! LOL

Are you seriously suggesting that Opener, with 4-card Spades, is going to bid 1NT rather than taking the opportunity to show their Spades at the 1-level? That is such an unconstructive and misleading route to take. I don't actually know of anyone (other than yourself) who has ever suggested that it's a remotely sensible methodology.

Some people will even take this further and take the view that 1 !C -1 !H -1NT-2 !S is always showing 5-6 in the Majors, on the basis that with 4-5, there's no real point in showing the Spades, because the 1NT rebid by Opener effectively denies having a 4-card Spade suit.

Whether you go that far or not, showing a Major suit at the 1-level is far more important than showing a balanced hand with <15 hcp. If Responder has a relatively weak hand with 4-4 in the Majors, and Opener follows your methodology, you'll inevitably end up playing in 1NT rather than 2 !S when you have a 4-4 Spade fit and 2 !S is inevitably going to be a safer contract. That is just plain silly (and precisely the reason why nobody does as you suggest).

That being the case I think the vast majority of people who accept and use the principle of fast arrival would agree 100% that it applies here.

[3] Reverse into !S with !S KQ, !H AKJT, !D 2, !C K109876
Hmmmm. I must confess that were I playing 2/1 (which I do occasionally despite my preference for Super-Precision) it would never remotely occur to me to completely misrepresent my hand by responding 1 !H with that lot and then reverse into a 2-card Spade suit solely as a means of creating a GF sequence. How do you expect Partner to make the right decisions on any hand if you're not prepared to try to have a sensible bidding conversation where you show what you have and Partner shows what they have?

Seriously, I'd be more likely to bid an inverted 2 !C and then show the Hearts later. Yes, you're "not supposed to do that" with inverted Minors, but it's less of a perversion of your hand description than reversing into Spades (and suggesting 4-5 in the Majors in the process when you are actually 4-2 and have 6-card support for Opener's first bid suit). You are now also suggesting delaying your support for Partner's Clubs until you're at the 4-level, which seriously restricts your space for slam exploration, especially since you've probably got Partner hopelessly confused, thinking you've been dealt 17 cards :)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 10:29:47 PM by OliverC »
Oliver (OliverC)

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2017, 12:17:01 AM »
I think we have just established the usefulness of this Forum!

It would never occur to me to bid 2S over 1NT without five hearts. I think the 5-4 shape is enough though. It's true that I do not expect to be playing in spades but bidding out shape often helps find the right contract. I am not so sure that 4C over 3H shows three clubs, and thus inferentially a stiff D, but perhaps so. At any rate it certainly shows slam interest. And would quite possibly, on the logic mentioned in my OP,  produce a 4S call from opener, and now we are on our way.

As noted, I felt comfortable posting all names as surely my 4H over 3H ends the auction. If I had chosen differently, maybe we reacj 6H. I didn't..

I am looking forward to putting up some more hands. Maybe someone else would like to do so as well?

The club slam try hand of Masse:
By coincidence, I had discussed this with my StdAm partner today. We begin  1C-1H-1NT-2D

The nmf call of 2D is used in either of two situations. Search for a major suit fit OR minor suit slam try. With the Masse hand it goes 1C-1H-1NT-2D-whatever-3C. This is a slam try in clubs, whether or not opener showed three hearts in response to 2D.

Btw. Joe's write up uses Walsh responses to 1C. I believe 2 way nmf, where both 2C and 2D are artificial,  is particularly useful when Walsh is being played. After 1C-1H-1NT responder might well have long diamonds, and of course his strength is not yet known. In 2 way nmf, a bid of 2C over 1m-1M-1NT forces opener to bid 2D, and with a weak diamond hand responder then passes, with an invitational diamond hand he bids 3D. With a forcing D hand he starts not with 2C but with a gf 2D and then bids 3D. There are many other sequences.
There is a nice write-up at
https://lajollabridge.com/LJUnit/Education/2-WayNewMinorForcing.pdf
and of course in many other places.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 03:52:30 AM by kenberg »
Ken

OliverC

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • OCP Super-Precision
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2017, 08:47:53 AM »
Yes, there are a number of possible ways to proceed without completely misleading Partner if you have Masse's Club slam hand. I've never actually used 2-way NMF although I had read of it. It would work well here if Partner knew it.

There is a big difference, though, between a call that is agreed to be artificial, as would be the case with either version of NMF, and using one that is ostensibly natural but in a completely artificial and potentially misleading way, especially when it comes to showing a Major I don't actually have. That smacks of master-minding, which I have always tried to persuade my students to avoid.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 08:49:48 AM by OliverC »
Oliver (OliverC)

Masse24

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2017, 10:05:24 AM »
[1] Point taken about the possibility of 3 !S being mistaken for a shape showing bid. The 4 !C control bid would be less likely to be misinterpreted and is a better choice. 

[2] For Opener, with 4-card Spades to bid 1NT rather than taking the opportunity to show their Spades at the 1-level, is BWS if 4=3=3=3. Therefore, there are quite a few who suggest that it actually is a remotely sensible methodology. So much so, that they included it in BWS2017.

[3] As to Ken's suggestion of 2-way NMF. Yes, that would be preferred. My choice is XYZ, which is ostensibly the same animal other than the inclusion of a few more bidding sequences. If so, then over 1NT, a jump to 3 !C would be a slam try in !C s. Two-way NMF and XYZ though, are not common in the IAC.
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

OliverC

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • OCP Super-Precision
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2017, 11:19:38 AM »
[2] For Opener, with 4-card Spades to bid 1NT rather than taking the opportunity to show their Spades at the 1-level, is BWS if 4=3=3=3. Therefore, there are quite a few who suggest that it actually is a remotely sensible methodology. So much so, that they included it in BWS2017.

Amending your original hand fractionally:

!S A642
 !H Q93
 !D J97
 !C AQ2

Partner holds
 !S KQxx
 !H J10xxx
 !D xx
 !C 10x

1 !C - 1 !H
1NT - ???

Partner will not conceivably disturb 1NT, but 2 !S is clearly a better and safer contract.
Oliver (OliverC)

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2017, 01:27:32 PM »
As to 1C-1H-1NT with opener holding 4=3=3=3
If I am asked by opponents before the lead, assuming the contract is 1NT, if opener could be holding four spades i usually respond: "Possibly, but we have no agreements to uncover this if he did, so I wouldn't expect him t do it often". With other partners I might put it more strongly as "I suppose so, but I have never seen him do it".

Still another way of thinking about this:  Agreements are very useful and should be followed, but perhaps with exceptions. I don't think that 4=3=3=3 is enough of a reason the rebid 1NT but if the hand is very no trump oriented, maybe with a lot of 9s and 10s, then fine. Partner does it, partner plays it, I wish him luck. I note when it works and perhaps say something nice, if it doesn't work I let it be. I like my partners to feel free to do what they think is best.

I like Masse citing BWS. It's not that we should all play BWS (although I can think of worse ideas), rather I think it is useful to distinguish between something that is simply a poster's own idiosyncratic idea and something that has an expert following.  Maybe not universal expert following, but still.

In that vein, I note that in Steve Robinson's Washington Standard, on page 143, hes says "New minor followed by three-ot--a-minor is a natural slam try". I only recently saw this in Steve's book but I have always played it that way with anyone who agreed. I suspect it is widespread but I am not sure. Maybe I will look it up in BWS.

I have only played 2-way NMF on occasion, but my impression is favorable. As mentioned, it seems to me to be particularly useful when playing Walsh responses.

Give yourself
Qx
Kxxx
QJxxxx
x

Partner opens 1C. A non-Walsh player bids 1D. A Walsh player bids 1H. After 1C-1H-1NT surely you want to get out in 2D. If 2D is standard NMF you can't. With 2-way, you call 2C, forcing a 2D response, and then you pass.

Strengthen it to
Kx
Kxxx
AJxxxx
x

The Walsh response to 1C  is still 1H unless you think that this is worth a 1D response where, in the Walsh style, you would then bid a game forcing 2H over 1NT. So it goes 1C-1H-1NT and, using 2 way, you now bid 2C forcing 2D and raise that to 3D.

Strengthen it a bit more and with the same shape you would start with 1D over 1C.  But suppose you have
Ax
KQxxx
AQxxx
x

1C-1H-1NT-2D-2NT-?
OK, maybe 3NT is right but 3D has its attractions. A judgment call. If you like 3NT here you can still probably vary the hand to something where you would definitely like to bid 3D.

To play 2 way you have to give up something. That's always the case with conventions. Here you give up the possibility of using 1C-1H-1NT-2C as a weak shapely hand that wants to play 2C. And that can be a loss. But 1C-1H-1NT-3C is a weak shapely hand that wants to play in clubs so it may not be a great loss. 1C-1H-1NT-2C-2D(forced)-3C is the invitational hand with clubs, 1C-1H-1NT-2D-2anything-3C is the forcing hand  with clubs.

I have not played 2-way often, but it seems to work. And I do think it gains in practicality when Walsh responses to 1C are being used.  I'm not big on Walsh, I'm a very old fashioned guy, but I an see its pluses.

Ken

Curls77

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2017, 06:36:39 PM »
Great topic, great remarks, very instructive for all !!

How about:
1C-1H
1N-2S
3H-3S   // cue
4C-4D
4S-4N
etc

or using serious 3N?
1C-1H
1N-2S
3H-3N   // slam try
4C-4D
4H-4S
4N

« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 06:41:23 PM by Curls77 »

OliverC

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • OCP Super-Precision
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2017, 06:47:23 PM »
As I said above, almost any route is possible as long as North does something other than tamely sign off in 4 !H over 3 !H.

"Serious" 3NT - love it! More into the frivolous variety myself :)
Oliver (OliverC)