Author Topic: BBO Pet Peeve  (Read 2347 times)

jcreech

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
BBO Pet Peeve
« on: September 22, 2018, 12:05:49 PM »
Dlr: West
Vul: None

North
           !S 82
           !H QJ
           !D AKQ97642
           !C K

West                    East
 !S 853                 !S  KJT74
 !H 9754               !H  AT
 !D 8                    !D  J
 !C A9742             !C  QJ863

South
           !S AQ8
           !H K8632
           !D T53
           !C T5

Auction:
South   West   North     East   
 1 !D      1 !S    1 NT       P
 3 NT       P        P          P

Actually, I have at least two pet peeves reflected by this hand.

The first has to do with players who bail from a hand when they think they are facing a bad result.  I was West, and partner gave us the potential to have a great result by leading a !H.  I won the ace, and as I returned the !C 6, partner bailed.  My eventual partner won the ace, and made the no-win play of a the singleton !D.  Instead of being down 3, declarer now made overtricks. 

These bailers must think they can escape the bad result by being absent from the table.  It is not the way BBO works.  Once you are the first bidder in a particular auction, if the hand is played, the result attaches to that bidder.  You may as well stick around for the result.  It also is not far to your partner who has to play with a partner who is stepping into the middle of play.  Face to face, someone would provide a brief description of the play (but then the situation would only happen in the case of severe illness), but it doss not seem to ever happen in BBO.

My other peeve has to do with how these massive one-suiters get bid.  There is no consistency in describing good or bad hands.  in this instance, the opponent treated the hand like an ordinary opener, they took a reasonable flier when their partner showed a stopper after my overcall.  Earlier in the evening, I saw !S Ax !H A !D Axx !C AKQxxxx opened 5 !C, and then when my partner overcalled 5 !H, tried 6 !C with seven biddable after a 2 !C opener. 

Oh well, if you are not playing with a regular partner, what can you do?

A stairway to nowhere is better than no stairway at all.  -Kehlog Albran

kenberg

• View Profile
Re: BBO Pet Peeve
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2018, 01:31:18 PM »
When a person suddenly disappears without anything being said, it is impossible to know why he has done this. Of course there is the occasional crash or the occasional emergency, but it happens far too often for this to be a significant part of the explanation. Often I think it is just some form of petulance. Perhaps the player, often incorrectly, believes that he is a far superior player compared to his partner. No explanation really makes sense to me.

Mostly this is a problem in the open room rather than in IAC.
Ken