Author Topic: Another missed opportunity  (Read 2692 times)

jcreech

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
Another missed opportunity
« on: September 13, 2018, 02:02:52 PM »
CORRECTED as identified by Ken Berg

Dlr: South
Vul: E-W

North
           !S J74
           !H A2
           !D A654
           !C KQ54

West                    East
 !S AQ2                !S  6
 !H Q753              !H  JT98
 !D J9                  !D  QT73
 !C JT98               !C  A762

South
           !S KT9853
           !H K64
           !D K82
           !C 3

Contract: 4!S by South with no opposing bidding

This hand was in a Dare to Practice session, set up to practice declaring techniques.  I have rotated the hands clockwise to make it easier to read.

The required lead was the J !C, covered by dummy and ducked by East.  The point of the hand is to ruff a !H before touching trump.  AQx !S are ill placed, and if you try to get the kids off the street first, you find that the defense can pull dummy's last trump before a losing !H is ruffed. 

That being said, I got the point of the hand correct, but my partner (Postmortem) pointed out as I claimed, that I might also have the opportunity for a squeeze.  And he was right.  Lets go over the play:

As mentioned above, the required lead was the J !C, covered by dummy and ducked by East.  I then played three rounds of  !H 's to ruff the third.  A !S to the ten lost to the Q.  The defense continued with the A !S and the Q !H, which I ruffed.  If, instead of claiming, I ran my !S, dummy would come down to AX !D and K !C, and my hand down to !D only.  What three cards does East hold onto?  Either the A !C has to go, or come down to three !D 's.  East cannot keep the four cards needed to prevent my making the extra trick.

Here I am playing in an event to practice such techniques, I actually get two techniques to practice, and I fail to take advantage of the extra opportunity. 

« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 12:30:09 AM by jcreech »
A stairway to nowhere is better than no stairway at all.  -Kehlog Albran

kenberg

• View Profile
Re: Another missed opportunity
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 03:06:36 PM »
Another interesting hand.

These Dare hands, like many hands, often have a number of features. On this hand, for example, when the !C J is covered, E could take his A and shift to his stiff !S spot. E then takes the AQ and leads another, killing the ruff. Now what? The defense has to be careful. As W plays his spades, E has to discard two hearts. If instead he discards a !D or a !C the hand can then still be made (maybe a bit double dummy but possible). Possibly it could be made even if E discards hearts at T3 and 4 but I don't see how. See Note below about why E cannot pitch either a !C or a !D as W plays his spades.

So:  Suppose you don't cover the J. E cannot hop up with the A, since then you get two !C tricks to pitch red losers on. W cannot start spades so you will be able to get your ruff, and you can establish a club for later. For example, if W continues with a heart at T2 you hop up, you run the !C K, ruffing if covered, pitching a !D if not. You then take your heart ruff. If you had to ruff that !C  at T3, now you cash the remaining high club pitching the !D.

I am assuming here that while the lead of the !C J was stipulated, the duck by E was not.

These Dare hands are interesting both for the play and the defense.

The promised "Note below" : Assume !C JQA at T1, a shift to a !S, so AQ and x  of !S at T2,3,4. E must pitch twice. If E pitches a !D it is easy. S plays the !D tops, pitches a !D from his hand on the high !C, and ruffs a !D establishing a !D trick. If E pitches a !C it's a little trickier. Cash the high diamonds ending on the board, cash the high club throwing a !D from had, ruff a !C , yes a !C, back to hand. Since we are assuming E pitched a !C earlier, he is now out of clubs.   W only had two !D to start with so he is now out of !D. We now  run a double squeeze centered on hearts.

Start cashing trump

With one trump left the position is

Dummy
!H A2
!D 6
!C 5

Hand
!S 3
!H K64

You lead the last trump and W must come down to three cards. Since he must hold the !C he pitches a !H. Now he no longer guards hearts. After he pitches the heart, you pitch a !C from dummy. Now E has a problem. He has to save a !D, so he pitches a heart. Now you cash hearts.

So E must pitch two hearts at T3,4.  After that, it is true that only W guards hearts and only E guards diamonds, suggesting a double squeeze centered on !C. But the !C entry left town at T1 and I see no way to get around that as long as the defense is careful.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 03:02:38 AM by kenberg »
Ken

jcreech

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2018, 12:41:57 AM »
Thank you Ken for spotting the typo (now corrected) and insightful analysis.  I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

Like many developing players, I focused on the conditions I faced, rather than the potential alternative line.  The alternative was facinating.

jcreech

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2018, 01:35:25 PM »
I thought about this hand a bit more, and realized that the simplest way to make the hand is to duck the J !C lead altogether.  The defense has no effective counter.

If East also ducks, the KQ can be used for a ruffing finesse later for the !D pitch and the !H can be ruffed as originally planned.  West cannot effectively start the trump.  And if East overtakes to lead a trump through, the !C KQ takes care of the red suit losers without needing the squeeze.