Author Topic: Just play it cool boy (West Side Story)  (Read 2078 times)

kenberg

• View Profile
Just play it cool boy (West Side Story)
« on: July 17, 2018, 12:21:41 PM »
!S 9764
!H KJ82
!D K9
!C J73

!S AKT85
!H A9
!D A763
!C AK

This is a bot game of "Just Declare", like the "Dare" games on IAC.   It's a decent contract, you make 7 if the spades are 2-2. They aren't.

T1: !H TJQA
T2: !S A34, !C 2

Oops. Lho started with !S QJ32.

I willingly confess that my first thought was "That's that, I am down 1". That's my point in posting this hand. Quoting Ice in West Side Story: "Take it slow and Daddy-o you can live it up and die in bed".

If you are up for an exercise, you can think through what could work here before reading on.

Suppose Lho started with 4=2=4=3 shape. If so, your heart will cash, you can take two diamonds and ruff two more on the board, you can take two clubs and ruff a third in hand. And so it was. After 10 tricks the position is

!S 9
!H K8

!S KT8

Lho has had to follow suit throughout these first ten tricks and so he holds exactly !S QJ2. You lead the !S 8 and Lho has a choice. He can hop up and lead into your KT, or he can let your 9 take the trick. It doesn't matter which, making 6.

It is my strong opinion that most of my bad results are because I was careless or got over-confident or gave up too quickly or something along those lines. As Yogi Berra could have said, Bridge is 90% psychological, the other half is technique.

http://tinyurl.com/y9fk5xke

Ken