Author Topic: fun on a lazy summer day  (Read 2060 times)

kenberg

• View Profile
fun on a lazy summer day
« on: July 08, 2018, 04:54:09 PM »
Below I reply to my own post (I often talk to myself) and compare this with a hand from today's Dare tourney (7-9-2016). They both involve a somewhat unexpected ducking play, and perhaps should be called the odd duck squeeze. Your comments are sought.

!S J76
!H Q82
!D 8432
!C !AK6

!S AK4
!H AJ97653
!D void
!C JT4

Matchpoints, nobody vul, dealer on your left passes. The entire auction:

Pass      Pass    1 !C     1 !H
Pass     2 !C     Pass     4 !H
      All Pass

T1:  !C 9854

First the easy part: What do you lead at T2? Assume it is a trump.
Answer: The !H Q. Blackwood called  this the 3 for a quarter lead. You are missing three cards and, in order from the ope, they are the 2nd and the 5th and lower than the 6th..  If hearts ar 2-1 it doesn't mater, but if QTx is on your right it does. Leading the q picks up the suit, starting with small to the J  leaves Rho with the KT and so you lose a trick.

So you lead the Q. Here it didn't matter
T2   !H QKA4
T3:  !H JJT2 and !D T.

Ok, you now have 11 tricks on top. But this is matchpoints. Can we get 12? Surely the !C Q is on your right and let's assume that the !S Q is as well.

Rho would open 1 !D if he were 4=1=4=4 so it must be that he was dealt at least five clubs. Let's assume five. If so, he either started with 3=1=4=5 or with 4=1=3=5.

Maybe your guardian angel tells you Rho started with 3=1=4=5 or maybe you just decide to go with that. and it is correct. Make 6.

You can make 6 against either the 3=1=4=5 or the 4=1=3=5 distributions, as long as you can figure out which it is.

The other folks at the table are robots, but I don't see that it matter. I did on fact make 6 but I did it by playing for a robot error, and the robot cooperated. Gib assures us that 6 is always there. 

As noted, this is for fun on a lazy summer day. I am avoiding having to mow the grass.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 01:51:20 AM by kenberg »
Ken

kenberg

• View Profile
Re: fun on a lazy summer day
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 01:39:00 AM »
The hand I posted has something in common with a Dare hand from today (7-9-18). In this one there are 11 tricks in plain sight after the heart finesse works. We would like to up it to 12 tricks. As with the Dare hand I mention below, we would like to run a squeeze but the count is not rectified. There is such a thing as "squeeze without the count", but squeeze with the count is usually easier. But if W gets in and leads another !C, the entry situation goes south.

My hope was that if I led a !D from dummy, E would rise. He did.

T1:  !C 9854
T2   !H QKA4
T3:  !H JJT2 and !D T.
T4:  !H 3, !D 6, !H 8,  !C 8
T5:  !D 2, !D A, !S 4, !D 7

This was the "mistake" I was hoping for. "Mistake" is a stretch, hopping up was a reasonable play, but now the count is rectifier and I can run the !S  - !C squeeze.

I took the !D return and ran !H winners. After 9 tricks the position is

!S J76
!H ---
!D ---
!C A

!S AK
!H ---
!D ---
!C JT

E has to come down to four black cards. If he comes to three spades and one club, a club to the A establishes my Q. If he (as he did) comes to two spades and two clubs then I play the !S AK to drop his Q and the board is good. I have to guess which is the case, but at least it's a chance.

If I had to run  the squeeze without the count, it can be done, at least in theory, but it was a lot easier this way.

Now to the hand from today's Dare game:

The contract is 6 !D, the opponents have not entered the auction, the opening lead is the !H J, all very normal.

Dummy (Trump at the top)
!D AT
!S QJ3
!H K85
!C K9742

Declarer
!D KQJ952
!S AK4
!H 3
!C A63

You need 12 tricks. I count 11 on top. Put differently, you are about to lose a heart, how do you avoid losing a club?

A heart club squeeze might work, but what are the threats to be?  The !H K will be a threat if we don't waste it now, and a club spot in declarer's hand can be the other. So duck at T1.  This rectifies the count. Surely the !H A is with RHO and if he has 3 or 4 clubs we have him.

Say a !H is continued. Ruff it, run all the diamonds and cash the spades ending in dummy. The position is

!D ---
!S ---
!H K
!C K9

!D ---
!S ---
!H ---
!C A63

Rho must hold on to the !H A and so he cuts down to two clubs. The clubs now run.

If by an chance Lho leads the !C J at T2 instead of a !H, (he won't but just supposing) then it is best to rise with the K on the board. The end position is then simply

!D ---
!S ---
!H K
!C 9

!D ---
!S ---
!H ---
!C A6

Again Rho holds on to the !H A and so the last two clubs run.

To squeeze RHO, you need one of the threats to be in declarer's hand, the !H threat is clearly on the table, so the !C threat must lie with the declarer. It's easiest to simply keep the A as an entry to the established threat, otherwise it requires that you run a "trump squeeze".  It works, but it's a challenge.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 02:39:45 AM by kenberg »
Ken