Author Topic: An angelic problem  (Read 4464 times)

kenberg

• View Profile
An angelic problem
« on: June 27, 2018, 03:46:15 PM »
The following is one of the Angel hands

The entire NS hands, and part of EW, are shown.

http://tinyurl.com/yc5chb3n

Look at the NS cards, that's all you see in the beginning. But now click the next button, going through 9 tricks, and you will see that EW play the 9 cards that are already shown.  EW have 2 tricks and E now holds one diamond and 2 clubs, plus 1 spade. So leading a !D is out, so you lead a spade, W follows with a spot.

Questions

1. Do you agree that it is unclear what to play from your hand? Assume E-W are up for being at least a little clever in their discards.

2. Was there a  better way to play the hand to resolve any ambiguity?

If there is, I am not seeing it.

As with most of the Angel hands, this is well worth some thought. Or so it seems to me.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 09:20:36 PM by kenberg »
Ken

Masse24

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
Re: An angelic problem
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 04:57:36 PM »
Clear? No.

But knowing the opponents can be "a little clever in their discards" at least gives me pause. Having a full count on the hand, if East had jettisoned a low !C instead of the !S , we could then endplay East with a !D. He could take his two minor suit winners and would be forced to play a !S into my A-Q tenace. If this east blanked his !S K , seeing the approaching endplay, kudos to him. Doing so presented me with the opportunity to go wrong.

That said, with West having four !S remaining, and East one, I'm finessing.

Edit: All those !H discards by West are also of note. Especially the established !H J. Is he trying to further entice us to finesse? I dunno, still not clear to me.  :)

There may be a better line, but I'm not seeing it.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 05:26:19 PM by Masse24 »
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 06:28:02 PM »
Indeed I think it is not clear. It's an interesting hand.

We suppose that E is good enough to see the endplay coming. So, holding the !S K, he must blank it. No choice. If he comes down to a club, a diamond, and two spades the declarer doesn't care who has the !S K he simply leads a !D, lets E take his club, and then claims. Just as you say, Todd.

So.. If E does not have the !S K, say he has the J64, he should blank his 4. Declare is known to have exactly one trick in clubs, three in diamonds, three in hearts. If he gets two spade tricks, that's 9. What can E do about it? Nothing if declarer takes the finesse. But if he tosses the J6, then perhaps declarer decides that E has blanked his K, as surely(?) he would if he had been dealt KJ6.

I suppose really, holding J64, E should randomly pick one of the three as a stand-in for the K.

I haven't tried the Gibs on this but I think I will. With the given hand I am confident they would blank the K and I think it is likely they would randomly discard two spades if the had J74.  So I think.

In which case the odds seem to be 4-3 in favor of the finesse. W started with four, E with three.

Angel's hands are always interesting.  Here you have an extra clue of course. In one of his books, Kantar pointed out that finesses never work in quizzes!

Kantar also had one book where the first half was declarer play, the second half was defense play, and the hands were similar. Not usually the same, but similar. So maybe one hand would give E the Kxx, the other the Jxx.

One of the good features of Angel's hands is that they demonstrate that there is more to this game than appears at first glance.

For anyone reading this discussion who finds it overwhelming, let me say: The first time I ever saw, say, a squeeze described I thought "Who would ever do that? " Patience. I blew one of Angel's hands hand horribly .  I thought it through correctly and then lost my focus carrying it out.  The other I planned out and executed  correctly. Conclusion: I don't always get it right, but thinking is better than not thinking.

On this hand there is a lesson for both offense and defense.  Blank the K if you have it, blank a pseudo-K if you don't. If E blanked his K, declarer must go up with the A. If E blanked his pseudo-K, declarer must finesse. Make them guess.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 06:31:13 PM by kenberg »
Ken

Masse24

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2018, 07:57:38 PM »
Here you have an extra clue of course. In one of his books, Kantar pointed out that finesses never work in quizzes!

Funny but true.  ;) The quiz hands always seem to avoid the obvious.

I am reminded of your lead problem from the other day. Though I chose the conservative !H T, there was a part of me that knew it was wrong, else why would it be presented as a lead problem.
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2018, 08:52:34 PM »
In that one I thought there were several features, the bidding, the lead. None obvious.
Over the 1NT I considered 2C instead of 2D. If I had bid 2C partner would respond 2S and I would then consider 3S. And so on. And he would consider 4, not making.

I thought there were reasonable arguments for many things. The one thing that I never considered on that hand was that maybe I could score a ruff with my stiff trump 8. That  was truly a shock. And then I really should have given pard his trump promotion.It was a hand with many features.

On most hands from actual play I think that there are usually a number of options and it is often unclear how to out together the best line. So I try to find a line that has a fair shot. And then I relax about it. Sometimes right, sometimes wrong.
Ken

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2018, 10:06:53 PM »
Expanding on a comment above: Some hands off options, sometimes difficult to choose. Others there really is only one way. The hand that started this thread is of the first sort, at least I think so. And, as mentioned, the hand Todd refers to also offers many choices.

For contrast, I offer two hands where there are really no serious options. Both of these come from Angel by way of Sanya.

http://tinyurl.com/yavfx7rp

I lost my mind on this one.
T1, the !D !K, I duck.
T2, the !D !Q, I take it.

I need ten tricks before they get four. We count them. . Six spades, three hearts, one diamond.

So: Take the !H A, play !S J low from dummy, small !S to K, give up a !H pitching the last !D . There is no way for W to get to E's hand, even if he is inspired to underlead the !D 9 to  his partner's T I can ruff. (That's why the first !D was ducked.

I cannot explain why I played the trump as I did. Just nuts.

Now the one I didn't screw up:

http://tinyurl.com/ya93saxn

On the auction W should have the !C K. 
Opening lead is !K. We do not take the A.

Ruff, play a round of trump, lead a small club.
If W hope up we still have 3 club tricks. With 1 spade, 1 diamond and 7 hearts, that makes 12. So he has to play low. Win on the board, cash the !S throwing the !C. No club losers. So the winners are 1 club, 1 diamond 1 spade, 2 diamond ruffs, 7 hearts in hand. That's 12.

So these are not hands where we have to choose. Maybe the line won't always work but it requires very little.

So if anyone wants to pursue this idea of some hands offering choices that are uncertain while other hands really don't, feel free to add on a post here.

And sometimes it is only later we realize there was a clear way to go about it.

Ken

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2018, 01:22:07 AM »
Another angelic hand, again on defense.

The deal is on your left, imps, everyone vulnerable. Lho opens 1 !S and partner bids 2NT showing the minors. They drive their way to 6 !S. Partner leads the !C K. I will now show dummy and your hand:

Dummy

!S KQ6
   !H T64
   !D A73
   !C A852

Your hand
                     !S 953
                     !H 97532
                     !D 942
                     !C J3

Declarer wins the club lead with the A and cashes three rounds of trumps Partner follows twice with spots and then plays a small diamond. Declarer now plays a heart to his A, partner following with the 8.

We suppose that partner is a straight arrow, so he is 5-5 in the minors.

Declarer now runs his majors.

Is he making this? To put it another way, can you imagine him not making this? Does your play matter?

The Angel hands are interesting in many ways. For the defense as well as for the declarer. it's not supposed to be easy.

Added. Spoiler alert, partner's hand appears below.

!S KQ6
                 !H T64
                 !D A73
                 !C A852

Pard                                   You
!S 42                                !S 953
!H 8                                  !H 97532                       
!D KJT85                           !D 942
!C KQT96                          !C J3

Opening lead: !C K. Declarer wins and runs his majors. Gib says you can beat this. What are the issues?   

For example, if the hands were as below, I don't think you can beat it.

!S KQ6
                 !H T64
                 !D A7
                 !C A8532

!D KJT85                           !D 9432
!C KQT96                          !C J       

And to repeat: Angel hands are challenging and fun. Easy doesn't come into it.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 01:01:51 PM by kenberg »
Ken

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2018, 10:40:35 PM »
I'll comment on the  proposed variant hand

!S KQ6
                 !H T64
                 !D A7
                 !C A8532
!D KJT85                           !D 9432
!C KQT96                          !C J     

Declarer
              !S AJT87
              !H AKQJ
              !D Q6 
              !C 74

We suppose that W leads the !C K. Declarer must win, else a second club is ruffed. So he wins the first club and cashes four spades and four hearts. Everyone is down to four cards. The following is reasonable, and nothing else is better:

!S ---
                 !H ---
                 !D A7
                 !C 85
!S --                                  !S --
!H --                                  !H 9                     
!D KJ                                 !D 943
!C QT                                !C  J   

Declarer
              !S 7
              !H --
              !D Q6 
              !C 7

Declarer now leads his last spade. You can see that W is stuck. If he throws a club the declarer pitches a diamond from dummy and leads a club. W wins, bit the board is good. If, instead, W pitches a diamond on the spade then declarer pitches a club from the board and then plays a diamond to the A, dropping the K,  and a diamond back to his Q,

Either way declarer takes three of the last four tricks.

With the actual hand, where W hold !C Jx instead of stiff J, again let's suppose that declarer wins the first round and then cashes four spades and four hearts. The end position is

!S ---
                 !H ---
                 !D A7
                 !C 85
!S --                                  !S --
!H --                                  !H 9                     
!D KJ                                 !D 94
!C QT                                !C  J   

Declarer
              !S 7
              !H --
              !D Q6 
              !C 7

When declarer leads the last spade, W still cannot pitch a !D, that's just as it was before. Nor can he pitch the !C T, that will lead to the same result as before. But, if he is up for it, he can pitch the !C Q. Declarer can then no longer lead a !C since E will win that trick and cash his !H. So the defense gets two of the last four tricks.

A tough play of course, but the Angel hands are not intended to be routine.

The unbeatable line, for declarer, is to duck the first !C. He can then run the !C - !D squeeze with no worry of inspired defense.

I am assuming that when Angel first gave these hands and then discussed them, the recommended play was a duck at T1. But if declarer dos not duck it still takes inspired defense to bring him down.

These comments are intended as a tribute to the Angel hands. They are very nice hands.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 11:15:58 PM by kenberg »
Ken