Author Topic: Master Solvers Club, posts up to June 2019  (Read 76664 times)

Masse24

• View Profile
Re: Master Solvers Club
« Reply #60 on: October 10, 2018, 09:12:11 PM »
Your Solutions for the November 2018 Contest
-------------------
PROBLEM A: 2 Hearts              70
PROBLEM B: 1 Notrump         100
PROBLEM C: 1 Notrump           70
PROBLEM D: (a2)                  100
PROBLEM E: 3 Hearts            100
PROBLEM F: 5 Clubs              100
PROBLEM G: 4 Clubs             100
PROBLEM H: Spade 5              70

Better than it could have been; not as good as I had hoped.
I need a huge score for December to average 700 for the year, but it's possible.

I see that Mister Creech had a very good month.  :) Well done!
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

drac

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 10, 2018, 11:09:51 PM »
SOLVER: Wladislaus Dragwlya
        Castrum Sex
        Romania

-------------------
PROBLEM A: 2 Hearts           70
PROBLEM B: Pass                 70
PROBLEM C: 1 Diamond      80
PROBLEM D: (b3)                   70
PROBLEM E: 2 Notrump       80
PROBLEM F: 5 Clubs          100
PROBLEM G: 3 Notrump       60
PROBLEM H: Diamond 3     100
-----------------------------------------------

well done to the honorables

bAbsG

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 11, 2018, 10:58:02 PM »
SOLVER: Babs Giesbrecht
       Qualicum Beach BC
       Canada

-------------------
PROBLEM A: Pass          100
PROBLEM B: Pass           70
PROBLEM C: Pass           60
PROBLEM D: (b3)           70
PROBLEM E: 3 Hearts     100
PROBLEM F: 5 Clubs       100
PROBLEM G: 3 Notrump     60
PROBLEM H: Spade 5        70

Well done guys!

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 14, 2018, 01:17:02 AM »
I added my results for the November contest.  It looks like I got badly dinged for signaling when partner led the A !D and dummy showed up with the stiff K.  Otherwise, I feel pretty good about the results.

These are my entries for the November 2018 contest:

PROBLEM A: Double  90
PROBLEM B: 1 Notrump  100
PROBLEM C: 2 Notrump  100
PROBLEM D: (b2)    50
PROBLEM E: 3 Hearts  100
PROBLEM F: 5 Clubs  100
PROBLEM G: 4 Clubs  100
PROBLEM H: Club Ace  90

A stairway to nowhere is better than no stairway at all.  -Kehlog Albran

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 19, 2018, 02:04:21 AM »
Sorry to vent, but maybe you are finding the December set more frustrating than most.  Personally, I hate this set.  I know that they are bidding problems, but this time half seemed to be out of the ordinary difficult. 

This set includes:
1.   The ordinary problem where you know what each choice means, and have to select the least lie;
2.   The devilish problem where you are not really certain what you choices mean, so it is trying to find the best truth; and
3.   Being hamstrung by a system or decision that you had no control over, and now have to find a reasonable solution.

The Problems:
A.    21 HCPs (though I am reducing this mentally a bit for the KQ !D) with a very nice 6 bagger.  I am torn between jumping in !s or making a cuebid.
B.   My big complaint with this problem is my second call.  Why didn’t I bid 2 !s (the impossible !S).   I think partner is bidding out shape, but would feel better about how I proceed if I had made it clear that my hand got much bigger with 2 !D.  It would be much more suggestive of my 5-card support than the immediate raise.
C.   Another 21 HCPs, another great !s suit and another flawed doubleton; this time a KJ in opener’s suit.  This time I am torn between a cuebid and 2 !S.
D.   This time it is the note that is my complaint.  Really, 4NT is specifically a natural bid, but otherwise undefined.
E.   At last – an ordinary 2-level balancing action.
F.   An ordinary interference with invitational values and no clear choice of action.
G.   Followed by an ordinary defensive problem – do you continue or switch, and if you switch, to what?
H.   And finally, an ordinary game-level preempt lead problem.

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 21, 2018, 08:12:57 PM »
[F]inding the December set more frustrating than most. 
Except for the other 11 months of the year, I agree!  ;)

I seem to think the same thing every new set.
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 21, 2018, 08:35:06 PM »
A first glance musing:

A: 3 !S . Though 3NT has some appeal.  The jump to 3 !S, I think, describes the hand. Not quite a game-force, but requests partner to go to game with any excuse. Any!
B: 3NT. 5 !D also possible. I've not decided. A coin flip. I agree with Jim's "Where was my 2 !S bid last round" comment.
C: 2 !S. Similar to problem A, but not. The suit lacks a sixth card, but is solid. I fear the !D KJ is not enough for a NoTrump rebid.
D: Toss-up. 3 !H will, I think, be a popular choice, though it should generally promise five pieces. The suggestion of 4NT is, I believe, a red herring. Yes, it should be natural here and invitational to slam (not RKC), but that undersells the hand. What about 5NT? Should be Pick-A-Slam in this auction. Yes? Hope so. (Added: If partner has a four card major, too, he could also offer that as a place to play over 5NT).
E: Yuck! Pass or double? Some may even try 3 !C. I like Pass best.
F: 2 !C . Every time I think "easy," I score a 50. Sigh.
G: !H 10. Anything could be right. I would also contemplate the !S 4.
H: !H 10. It worked for "G," why not "H"?  ;) Second choice, !S 10. [Edit] - Thinking has evolved. The !C A may be the killing lead; try to figure out which way to go from there.

Plenty of time to change my mind.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 01:59:44 AM by Masse24 »

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 30, 2018, 06:27:04 PM »
I have just started so maybe this is premature, but a couple of initial thoughts.

On A, I am thinking that if I can run six spade tricks then I should have a good shot at nine tricks in NT, and if I can't run six spade tricks then I am not so sure I want to be in 4 !S either.  Assume spades run. If the opening lead is a heart, I have six spades and a heart so of partner has either minor suit A I am home. Or maybe he has Qx in hearts and nothing else. I take the Q at T1 and lead a diamond from the board. 6+1+1+1=9. Or; well there are various "or"s but I am thinking 3NT sounds good.

On B,  well, Jx isn't much of a heart suit but it will allow partner to ruff a spade or two unless they start with a trump.  If they do start with a trump and then another trump, that should help establish the suit after which partner can hopefully score up a bunch of tricks in hearts and diamonds. Pard knows that I do not have three hearts and if his hand is unsuitable for playing opposite a doubleton he can still put us in 5 !D.
On the other hand, I think 3 !S shows a spade stop and suggests 3NT if I have a !C  stop. I do. So maybe 3NT.  As I understand it, after 3 !D partner, if he has a club stop but no spade stop, can bid 3NT and hope. If he has a spade stop and no club stop, he can bid 3 !S inviting me to bid 3NT. But I am far from sure everyone agrees that this is how to interpret pard's 3 !S and 3NT in this situation.
And I agree that there is a lot to be said for 2 !S over 2 !D. A little more strength would be nice, but what I have is pretty good.

So I find these tough but what else is new? If we wanted easy there are places to go for easy. I like hearing thoughts as well as choices from others. It's a way to make good use of these problems.

Added thought on B: I am thinking 3NT is the way to go. We all seem to agree that the hand is at least close to a 2 !S call on the second round. With that in mind, then it follows that my actual choice of 3 !D could not be any stronger than it is. If it cannot be any stronger then, unless 3 !D is very narrow, then it could be weaker. Still, partner has elected to go on. This is good news.  I have more than he might expect, and he has bid again.  So where should we play it? A bid of 3NT shows something in clubs, so I would be showing a decent hand with diamond support and something in clubs. That's what I have.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 05:32:15 PM by kenberg »
Ken

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 06, 2018, 12:41:37 PM »
SOLUTIONS FOR:
Todd Holes
Glen Ellyn IL
U.S.A.

Your Solutions for the December 2018 Contest

PROBLEM A: 3 Notrump
PROBLEM B: 3 Notrump
PROBLEM C: 2 Spades
PROBLEM D: 5 Notrump
PROBLEM E: Double
PROBLEM F: 2 Clubs
PROBLEM G: Heart 10
PROBLEM H: Club Ace

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 07, 2018, 01:13:36 AM »
-------------------
PROBLEM A: 3 Spades  - I think this is the value bid and I am a bit concerned with using partner's !D's with KQ tight.
PROBLEM B: 3 Notrump - given the auction I have to live with, I will try signing off.  I wonder a bit if there might be a safe !D game or even a slam possibility.
PROBLEM C: 2 Diamonds - I don't quite have the shape of Problem A, but do have the strength.  I think the cue might be the right continuation, with a !S bid next.
PROBLEM D: 5 Notrump - With 4 NT natural, I feel like 5 NT should be forcing to slam, with an uncertain strain - pick a slam partner.
PROBLEM E: Double - an imperfect takeout, but you have to work with what you have.
PROBLEM F: Double - an imperfect negative double, but I think it shows where I have values and makes it easier to find NT.  If partner bids !H 's, I've played in worse Moysian fits.
PROBLEM G: Heart 10 - The A !C would give me a peek, and that was very tempting, but I felt like the broken sequence might have more chances to succeed.  I am hoping that if I am wrong, I will get a chance to try !C 's when I get in with the K !D.   
PROBLEM H: Club Ace - In the face of a preempt, I like to see the dummy before proceeding. 
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 01:58:24 AM by jcreech »

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 10, 2018, 02:36:20 AM »

MASTER SOLVERS CLUB SOLUTIONS RECEIVED

Your solutions have been received. This copy is for your records.

SOLVER: Ken Berg
        Eldersburg MD
        U.S.A.

-------------------
PROBLEM A: 3 Notrump
PROBLEM C: 2 Diamonds
PROBLEM D: 4 Notrump
PROBLEM E: 3 Clubs
PROBLEM G: Heart 10
PROBLEM H: Spade 10
Ken

drac

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 10, 2018, 12:21:02 PM »
        Castrum Sex
        Romania

-------------------
PROBLEM A: 2 Hearts
PROBLEM C: 3 Notrump
PROBLEM D: 4 Diamonds
PROBLEM E: 2 Notrump
PROBLEM G: Spade 4
PROBLEM H: Heart 10

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 10, 2018, 06:02:52 PM »
A good month, apparently . . . based on the overall low scores on the monthly honor roll.

PROBLEM A: 3 Notrump        100
PROBLEM B: 3 Notrump          60
PROBLEM C: 2 Spades          100
PROBLEM D: 5 Notrump         60
PROBLEM E: Double              100
PROBLEM F: 2 Clubs             100
PROBLEM G: Heart 10            80
PROBLEM H: Club Ace           100
                                           ___

No real surprises, or totally off the wall bids that I did not understand, though I did shrug a bit when I saw the  !H 2 choice as the winner on PROBLEM G.

[EDIT] I will add that while I thought this month to be especially difficult, I believe some of the low scores for anything not "100" is simply due to Kleinman being the director. He can be especially brutal.

Overall I enjoyed the monthly test of my solving ability. And of course, hopefully, I learned something along the way. Not only because of how these problems made me think, but also to read the monthly summary for each question from the expert panel in The Bridge World. I, unfortunately, did not begin this year until February, missing the first month.

On to next year!
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 11:43:25 PM by Masse24 »

drac

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 10, 2018, 11:13:10 PM »
        Castrum Sex
        Romania

-------------------
PROBLEM A: 2 Hearts           60
PROBLEM B: 3 Notrump       60
PROBLEM C: 3 Notrump         0
PROBLEM D: 4 Diamonds    100
PROBLEM E: 2 Notrump          60
PROBLEM F: 2 Clubs               100
PROBLEM G: Spade 4                0
PROBLEM H: Heart 10                30
-------------------------------------------------

another PR

jcreech

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 10, 2018, 11:57:47 PM »
-------------------
PROBLEM A: 3 Spades  - 50
PROBLEM B: 3 Notrump - 60
PROBLEM C: 2 Diamonds - 40
PROBLEM D: 5 Notrump - 60
PROBLEM E: Double - 100
PROBLEM F: Double - 90
PROBLEM G: Heart 10 - 80
PROBLEM H: Club Ace - 100

What a brutal set.  Very few had second choices that scored 80 or better.  Under the circumstances, I am happy with a 580.  All of my selections were within the top three.. In the November contest, selecting the third choice across the board would have been a 560; this month with the same choice you would get a 410.

Congrats to Todd!!!  Second in the overall standings is fantastic, particularly on this set. WTG!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 12:01:08 AM by jcreech »